Bar Box

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I know I should get out more, but I started making a box to transport bars in and this is what happened! Yeah I know it's overkill but it's done now and should last a while.

attachment.php

I have bars ranging from 12 to 60' and hate just throwing them in the back of the van when I go milling even though I rarely swap bars I feel comforted by having them with me. The box has 4 x 64" worth of slots so I can hold a fair selection of bars where ever I go.

attachment.php

View from other end.
attachment.php

Industrial strength fold down ally handle is because when box is full it will weight a fair bit.
attachment.php

Cheers

One word........................Anal!

:jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Just kidding,

Very very nice!!! :cheers:

Nice box!!!

See where you mill alot,,and I am tryin to learn that myself,but seem like if you have a bent bar all kinda trouble can happen...Great job on it and I like it!!!!!!

Cheers guys. It's not quite as fancy as it looks. Most of the stuff I used is left overs from other projects. Timber, ally and paint are all left overs from other projects. The things I bought were the 150 screws, and the catches ($2 ea) and corners ($1 each).

Very nice!! How much time do you have invested in that?
Too Much, something like 10 evenings?

One word........................Anal!
On reflection - I agree.

Got similar boxes for your other gear?
Not this big. I have made smaller ones as tool and jewelry boxes. This one started out as a jewelry box but I thought my oilstone would look better in it!
attachment.php

Where's the velvet lining, slacker!
Dang - I knew I forgot something!

Very nice job! What kinda wood did you use?
The bottom half and slots is just made from MDF board - that's partially why I ended up covering all the corners with ally angle. The top is made from a recycled Aussie hardwood floorboard.

Last edited:
Are you a machinst by trade? My grandfather was a tool and die maker. Looks like something he would've built.

Are you a machinst by trade? My grandfather was a tool and die maker. Looks like something he would've built.

My training/experience is in experimental physics, but these days I spend most of my time pushing paper (well ...... mostly email) and line managing ~65 other people. To relax I enjoy making stuff, especially home milling and woodworking tools, wood, metal, plastic leather etc. (Check out my BIL mill in my sig below) I wish I really did have proper machining skills because we have a serviceable metal shop at work with a mill/lathes etc, and although I can use these machines it takes me a lot longer to do things than a pro. I am under no illusion that I can save money by doing this - I have costed some of my projects and I'm generally working for less that $10 a hour. I could just go and buy the stuff and work longer hours, but then I will just end up wasting time & $$$ getting my head sorted on a shrink's couch! Making stuff and a couple of beers afterwards, is definitely cheaper and far more satisfying.

Check out some of Bob's threads on the milling side of AS.
He dose all kind's of great work.......Wood, Metal. Milling

Latest posts

Back