bar length vs hp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbdropshot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
If you are running a 16" bar how much more hp does it take to run a 18" bar or a 20" bar at the same cutting speed as the 16" bar.

If you are running a 16" bar how much more hp does it take to run a 18" bar or a 20" bar at the same cutting speed as the 16" bar.

If the power heads are big enough, whether you use 16 - 8 or 20" won't make a cracker of difference because cutting at those widths will be chain and not HP limited. If the saws are teeny to small then using a roughly proportional relationship will be a crude but reasonable guide at these lengths. So an 18" cut will need about 2/16 or 12.5% more HP than a 16", and 20" will need ~25% more HP. This will only work over realtively short changes in bar length.

If I was running a 16in. 50cc would be ok now if 20in. is what I am going to run most of the time then I would want a 60cc saw and it does depend on what you are cutting.....over 20in. I would go 70cc and up

First of all, are you talking whisky, scotch or vodka? In any case High Potency isn’t going to matter much unless you’re trying to get drunk fast and like drinking alone. Secondly all the bars you mention are too short. You couldn’t put more than one stool at any of them. And lastly, I wouldn’t even mention “cutting speed” around the guys I drink with. If they found out I was cutting my liquor, things would get ugly real fast.

No, what you need is at least a 6 ft bar, some good sipping whisky of average potency, and stop cutting the stuff.

:cheers:

First of all, are you talking whisky, scotch or vodka? In any case High Potency isn’t going to matter much unless you’re trying to get drunk fast and like drinking alone. Secondly all the bars you mention are too short. You couldn’t put more than one stool at any of them. And lastly, I wouldn’t even mention “cutting speed” around the guys I drink with. If they found out I was cutting my liquor, things would get ugly real fast.

No, what you need is at least a 6 ft bar, some good sipping whisky of average potency, and stop cutting the stuff.

:cheers:

:jawdrop: :ices_rofl: :givebeer:

I have put together some numbers that might help you

12''-16'' bars = low to no HP

18''-24'' Bars = more HP but nothing crazy

28''-36'' Bars = better buy a stihl lol

42''-60+'' Bars = better buy a big Stihl some alky and a shot of NOS

I hope this help it took me a while to research

All of the saws that you buy have a recomemded bar length that the manufacturer believes would be best.......depending on their size they always recomend the smallest bar, but they usually run a size or to bigger than the smallest recomended just fine ;) Id say put the biggest bar on the smallest chainsaw you can and see how long it takes to smoke the engine!!! Just a laugh for you and all your buddies! haha ;)

Mathematically, 18 is 12.5% longer than 16, so assuming that both bars are buried and discounting stuff like chip clearance, you would need 12.5% more power to run it with equal authority.

Ian

Latest posts

Back