bar length. your opions pls.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an 18" on my MS391 and a 14" on my 42cc Homelite. I only recently bought the Homelite, with the intent to use that lighter saw for trimming limbs. I almost bought a 20" when I purchased my Stihl, and I'm glad I didn't because I would have been stuffing it into the ground when sawing. Most stuff I get into is under 24", and averages less than 16"; so an 18 is more than adequate.

It boils down to intended use and feel in your hands...everyone is going to have a different opinion.

There you go again ... you will get quite a few comments about your dream habits.

Take a look at this for the Strato Engine defined.

Strato Animation 460 XTORQ - YouTube

That video sure helped in my understanding a Strato Engine a lot. I'd give you a Rep for it, but the system says I need to spread more rep around, dang it to heck!

Now about my dream habits ....... :laugh:

SV (large) mount.
I made adapters to allow me to run them on 8mm studs. Just take a 12mm nut and drill it out to 8mm in the center. Easy peasy.

thats interesting thanks! the echoes are the same as old poulans, d176 mounts, so this is good to know.

...Not that I could even lift a chainsaw that big, but if I'm going to dream, I might as well dream big.

I don't know, but if I was dreaming, an FLH would be nice (I'm a "useta". I "useta" to own a 1200 Sportster).
As far as a saw is concerned, I like my 4218. It starts and runs and idles and cuts just as good as it did 3 years ago - which is good. However, I wouldn't turn down a nice Dolmar, or a Husky. May even be tempted by a Stihl ;)

I like a 28" bar on my 066, I have a 16" bar 3/8 chain for my 029 super and a 14" bar on the 192t. I have found this covers everything I cut here in Indiana for firewood. That is my 28" bar in my avatar with a piece of pin oak I cut last year.

I had to re read your post explaining things several times and for some reason it all seemed greek to me. Then when I went to FlashHole's post and viewed the video and came back to your post it was all crystal clear.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it! :msp_thumbsup:

Maybe flashhole and I could conspire on some audio-visual aids to understanding?

Glad it worked for you, anyhow. Lots of stuff going on simultaneously in a 2-stroke.

My little 40 cc RedMax strato is working so well for me that I have to schedule exercise periods for my 5020 and 455.

I don't know, but if I was dreaming, an FLH would be nice (I'm a "useta". I "useta" to own a 1200 Sportster).
As far as a saw is concerned, I like my 4218. It starts and runs and idles and cuts just as good as it did 3 years ago - which is good. However, I wouldn't turn down a nice Dolmar, or a Husky. May even be tempted by a Stihl ;)

Well, not that I'm a size queen, but I love my FLHX. It may only be a 96ci (1584cc) but it will keep up with the big dogs. Sporties are nice but my legs are too long for them. But you know, you really should get another bike, maybe even the bike of your dreams. Then just think of the statement you'd make toting around a Stihl 121cc chainsaw with a 59" bar and chain looking for your next victim, err tree!

MS 880 STIHL Magnum® Chain Saw - Professional Use Chainsaw | STIHL USA Mobile

Well I had to look you know! :msp_w00t:

Maybe flashhole and I could conspire on some audio-visual aids to understanding?

Glad it worked for you, anyhow. Lots of stuff going on simultaneously in a 2-stroke.

My little 40 cc RedMax strato is working so well for me that I have to schedule exercise periods for my 5020 and 455.

Conspire - Conspiracy? Uhh ohh, if y'all got together the whole world might be in jeopardy.

If you keep talking about the RedMax 40cc, I might have ot get one for myself. But then my 2050 might get lonely! It likes being touched you know! :msp_w00t:

Whether i like it or not my bar lengths are more or less determined by my vast inventory of new loops of chain purchased at incredible prices. 18" on my 50cc saws (.325,.050,72DL) and 20" and 24" on my bigger saws. (3/8ths,.050,72 and 84DL's). It settles out just about perfect for me none the less.

Latest posts

Back