Unable to get cutters the same length.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That likely works ok. Like some others here I do commercial sharpening and do not have time to fiddle on individual tooth vs depth gauge. So to that end I try to get all cutters same length Likely with in a few thousandths. I have a DG6 depth gauge grinder which does both sides to the same height. Fairly quick and easy- beats messing with tooth grinder to do same or hand filing although on those pico pico chains ( .043 drive links, which ya dang near need a magnifying glass to see the teeth and the depth gauges) I end up doing the depth gauges by hand on those with the files.
There's a deffinat difference between sharpening for money, and sharpening for myself. Usually a chain had to be pretty bad for me to take the grinder to it, but that's a different subject I guess.
I agree with the .043 picco, it's a pain with those tiny little cutters.

Not every grinder sharpens the left and right knives at the top of the grinding wheel, Stihl has a chain adjustment horizontal to the disc, and Chinese ones sometimes have a swing adjustment, and if this adjustment is not available, then there is a smaller or larger difference between the blades. I correct this by using a knob that pushes the chain to the grinding disc

RE centering the grinder vice. Clamp a piece of scrap metal the same thickness as your chain drive link. Grind RH then LH and the resulting edge should be centered.

From overhead it should look like this: >
If not move your fixed clamp plate or the whole clamp (depending on style of grinder) in or out to get it centered.

Back