Bar Nuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-Just going through that right now with my new Echo. I always cranked it tight but using a little finesse. Now I noticed in the owners manual the torque is to be 175-200 inch pounds. That equates to 15-16 foot ponds.

Just to be sure with my old technique I tried using a torque wrench. I have a 1/4" torque wrench that goes to 225 max inch pounds, but I don't have a socket that will work with that and no adapter. I tried my 3/8" torque wrench but 15 foot pounds is the low end of the scale on that wrench but I have a socket for that.

I tightened the nuts with the fancy wrench provided with the saw to what I thought it should be. Then I put the 3/8" foot pound wrench on it set at 15 FT LBS and it turned the stud relatively easy, but I got nervous and didn't go to the click.

So I am going to get an adapter for the 1/4" torque wrench and try it again.

From what I could tell so far is I can tighten it somewhat tighter than I have been, and I usually over tighten things.

Snug plus a little but oddly only one saw loosens them. the MS361. Did it from day one and still does it. I use the same torque as I have on all my saws way back to 1976. None of them every loosened up. My 192T did loose the nut the other day but I suspect I forgot to snug it down after cleaning and changing the chain. Since the 361 I carry spare bar nuts in the toolbox.

Do any of you have problems with your nuts falling off? I can honestly say I have never lost a nut but I did strip one. If you strip a nut you can often times booger up your stud. One time I was out in the woods with another guy and he lost a nut. Can you believe I found it. Hard to find your nuts when there laying in the dirt getting covered with dust. OK I'll stop now.

Had a guy working for us, somehow lost 4 or 5 bar nuts in a week. I went to use the saw he'd been running, one nut missing, the other about to fall off.
Not sure WTH he's doing. I lost one off a saw when I dropped it in 3ft of snow, found it that summer though.

A "homeowner" here. Bought a Stihl MS180. Lost a nut twice during the second day working with it, and I was pretty sure I had tightened it good. Guess I hadn't. On the other hand everybody says the studs are prone to come loose, so... I do have a torque wrench, would be easy to adjust it properly knowing the max. torque I could use. Any suggestions?
PS. Both the oil and gas caps have also popped off once each, but maybe I was soft-handed with those...

I train my guys to snug them w/ forefinger and middle on the end of the scrench handle. Not the whole hand. No problems. As for caps, don't overfill, and twist them hard.

Guess I shouldn't be so critical and see it as just something to laugh at also!! does have rather cartoon mentalety

I lost one once. I cannibalized off my spare saw for the rest of the day. Now I carry an extra nut or two in the bag. Amazon (ala China) -- and get a set of 6 for 6 bucks.

I just handtighten the nut, then place the swench in my thumbpocket (screwdriver portion between thumb and pointer-finger) and tighten until the screwdriver part makes my second thumbjoint hurt to the point its slightly unbearable. Just keep in mind the nut will work loose if you have woodchips on the mating surfaces or if you bind the chain or bar on a cut at WOT. Stihl Service manual states 16-18 ft lbs for a MS200T.

Back