Bar oil chat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windthrown

361 Junkie
Reaction score
Welcome to Chainsaw Chat with the Church Lady! (applause)

Now, lately I have noticed that there is so much ****-chat about 2T oil mix, and nothing about bar oil. Now, that just doesn't seem fair, does it? You cannot run a chainsaw without bar oil, can you? (limp wrist) So...

Well... now lets consider this situation. You are in the woods cutting trees. Now, in this case you have this mondo 42 inch DBH tree wedge cut and ready to back cut, and you have run out of bar oil. What do you do? (hands on face, audience inhales).

Anyone in the audience? Hummmm?

I've run out of jack oil before, but never bar oil. Even if a guy were to run out of bar oil, there's always 40wt in the service truck for the yarder...

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: Ohh...I'm just joshing you!

NO! WE NEVER RUN OUT OF BAR OIL IN THE ASE. Thats Atlantic South East for those of you that don't know. RUN OUT? Heck where do you think bar oil comes from. run out?

Welcome to Chainsaw Chat with the Church Lady! (applause)

Now, lately I have noticed that there is so much ****-chat about 2T oil mix, and nothing about bar oil. Now, that just doesn't seem fair, does it? You cannot run a chainsaw without bar oil, can you? (limp wrist) So...

Well... now lets consider this situation. You are in the woods cutting trees. Now, in this case you have this mondo 42 inch DBH tree wedge cut and ready to back cut, and you have run out of bar oil. What do you do? (hands on face, audience inhales).

Anyone in the audience? Hummmm?
Um, unless its a dark and stormy night, hm, even then, I'd go home and finish it the next day, don't think it'd be going anywhere. :D
If you was real worried about your b&c, you could always pee in the tank or drain some motor oil ta finish it off :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy:
(real world? Just finish the darned thing imo)

:rockn: :jester: :rockn:

:popcorn:

Only happened to me once, cap on oil tank was loose. So I set up a snare and caught a wild pig. Butchered it right there on the spot. Rendered the fat out of that sucker and used that for bar oil. Smelled like bacon while cutten. Went back for the pig and it was taken by a pack of wild dogs (new story on the dogs, next chapter).

I swear it's true ;) ;) :D

:cheers: :cheers:

I'd head up to the landing, whistling and looking innocent, and peruse the contents of the crummies, then, if nothing good found, wait til the moment is right, like the carriage has jumped off the skyline, or the tail tree has pulled, or a rigging fit is in progress, slither under the crummie and drain some engine oil. Then, whistling nonchalantly, I'd go find the rigging crew and point out how their clothes don't match, and they use the F word too much, and I'd saunter on back to the tree. I would highly suggest using this method.

I'd head up to the landing, whistling and looking innocent, and peruse the contents of the crummies, then, if nothing good found, wait til the moment is right, like the carriage has jumped off the skyline, or the tail tree has pulled, or a rigging fit is in progress, slither under the crummie and drain some engine oil. Then, whistling nonchalantly, I'd go find the rigging crew and point out how their clothes don't match, and they use the F word too much, and I'd saunter on back to the tree. I would highly suggest using this method.

This is just too well orchestrated of plan for it not to have occurred...so you ran out of bar oil did yah! I like the misdirection that you incorporate buy insulting the men's dress...that's bound to get them looking the other way while you sneak back up the hill. :hmm3grin2orange: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Only happened to me once, cap on oil tank was loose. So I set up a snare and caught a wild pig. Butchered it right there on the spot. Rendered the fat out of that sucker and used that for bar oil. Smelled like bacon while cutten. Went back for the pig and it was taken by a pack of wild dogs (new story on the dogs, next chapter).

I swear it's true ;) ;) :D

:cheers: :cheers:

Oh my! Confessions of a chainsaw addict! Sounds plausible (wild audience applause). Wild dogs too? Were you frightened?

Of course I do not believe this story for a minute! I think that the pig that you snared was far more likely a domestic one escaped from one of those pig farms that y'all have down there in the Carolinas. :biggrinbounce2:

Cold Bar Oil Cure...

'Round here we call it chain oil, but I think I get the picture.

Say, here's a piece for you all. Last week it was too cold for the chain oil to pump through my old Mac 3514. The bar and chain started getting hot and stalling out the motor. So I tried this:

(1) Spread some chain oil directly on the contact line between the bar and the chain on both sides.
(2) Run the chain around the bar using a rag three or four times to loosen it up.
(3) Add one ounce (no more) of mixed gas to the chain oil tank and slosh it around with a small screw driver.

Presto! Oil pump worked great and I kept on sawing. I never had to add anymore "fuel thinner" after that, and I went through four fills of ordinary chain oil after that to complete the job.

I have a friend that burns used oil to heat his shop. Anyway he got a couple of 55's of used hydraulic oil from heavy equipment hydraulic systems. It has about the same viscosity as Stihl winter oil so we have chain oil at the best price ---Free.

Don

If you buy a 361 you don't have to worry about bar oil and stupid stuff like that, cuz the saw makes its own. so you never run out!

Just one more reason to buy a 361.

Latest posts

Back