Bar oil chat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long time ago, in a forest far away, our thinning crew ran out of SAW GAS. It was doubly bad because our foreman got chewed out that morning for getting us all out to the woods later than the preferred time. I had it easy, I was the greenhorn of the crew. I was not responsible for anything, except screwing up with trees and saw. So, we drove an hour to the unit, and then discovered we had no extra saw gas. We packed gas during the day in plastic antifreeze jugs, (until later when somebody came out from the office and saw us, then we had to pack metal gallon cans around) so we took inventory. We couldn't sneak back to town, not after the chewing out. :bang: The way to the gashouse was in full view of the office. Nothing original done, we just pushed extra hard that day, dumping trees (thinning) as fast as we could to make more trees per gallon. By late morning, we were out. Because we didn't want to sit all crammed together in the rig for the rest of the day, we needed a fire. We built a fire without using gas, we had fusees, (it was late winter)and hid out until time to head in. I seem to remember it being the day Reagan got shot so we listened to that on the radio. We pushed hard the rest of the week to try to make up for the short day. No fun allowed that week, like dumping trees on your partner's gear, or setting stumps/snags on fire. :(

Last edited:
Long time ago, in a forest far away, our thinning crew ran out of SAW GAS. It was doubly bad because our foreman got chewed out that morning for getting us all out to the woods later than the preferred time. I had it easy, I was the greenhorn of the crew. I was not responsible for anything, except screwing up with trees and saw. So, we drove an hour to the unit, and then discovered we had no extra saw gas. We packed gas during the day in plastic antifreeze jugs, (until later when somebody came out from the office and saw us, then we had to pack metal gallon cans around) so we took inventory. We couldn't sneak back to town, not after the chewing out. :bang: The way to the gashouse was in full view of the office. Nothing original done, we just pushed extra hard that day, dumping trees (thinning) as fast as we could to make more trees per gallon. By late morning, we were out. Because we didn't want to sit all crammed together in the rig for the rest of the day, we needed a fire. We built a fire without using gas, we had fusees, (it was late winter)and hid out until time to head in. I seem to remember it being the day Reagan got shot so we listened to that on the radio. We pushed hard the rest of the week to try to make up for the short day. No fun allowed that week, like dumping trees on your partner's gear, or setting stumps/snags on fire. :(

Hey Slowp are you sure your in the right thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or are you just breathing to much of that clean mountain air.

I'd head up to the landing, whistling and looking innocent, and peruse the contents of the crummies, then, if nothing good found, wait til the moment is right, like the carriage has jumped off the skyline, or the tail tree has pulled, or a rigging fit is in progress, slither under the crummie and drain some engine oil. Then, whistling nonchalantly, I'd go find the rigging crew and point out how their clothes don't match, and they use the F word too much, and I'd saunter on back to the tree. I would highly suggest using this method.

:ices_rofl: Typical Green Pickup method...way too much planning and very inefficient action. Just yell out " I need some :censored: bar oil" and just grab the damn stuff. You might get a couple of comments like "Geeeezz, now we gotta supply the piss firs with bar oil?" And maybe "We'll deduct the cost of the bar oil from the performance bond".
Don't let the comments bother you. Green Pickup People are a constant source of entertainment for most of us. :laugh:

:ices_rofl: Typical Green Pickup method...way too much planning and very inefficient action. Just yell out " I need some :censored: bar oil" and just grab the damn stuff. You might get a couple of comments like "Geeeezz, now we gotta supply the piss firs with bar oil?" And maybe "We'll deduct the cost of the bar oil from the performance bond".
Don't let the comments bother you. Green Pickup People are a constant source of entertainment for most of us. :laugh:

I might say I find both sides entertaining. I have the priviledge of seeing both worlds. And both are strange worlds. I felt sympathy a couple of times and gave away my saw gas supply--a whole part of a gallon. Once to get a "finely tuned and maintained" logger pickup off the road, the other cuz it was just pitiful. We don't have green pickups anymore...mine is a filthy white.
We can't use soap to wash them here, don't know why, so since I fill the saw up with gas and oil on the tailgate, it doesn't clean off very well. But I love the feeling of walking up, lots of cussing going on and hands grappling with say, a carriage's interior workings, guys cussing about not having the right tool, then I cheerily say, what about a bar wrench, it looks about that size, heads emerge, the chaser is yelled at to get a bar wrench, bolt is loosened.....ahhh, triumph for the pissfir side. But I digress. How about that bar oil?

Bar oil? The right stuff is always better of course but in a pinch I've seen used motor oil, clean motor oil, 90wt gear oil thinned with gas,hydraulic oil, cooking oil from the camp site, saw mix oil, and straight diesel. None of these are good but when your saw is buried in the cut you'll use anything to get you by.
And kick yourself in the butt for whatever you were thinking when you should have been thinking about bringing the extra bar oil.
And on the subject of Green Pickup People? Still a lot of the green pickups down here. And still a few old timers driving them who,if they told you your tail hold was too high on the stump, you'd listen to. Because they know. The rest of them are just kind of in the way.

Well isn't that Speecial!!.........someone had to say it!

Yes, it is, isn't it? But real run out of bar oil chat. Amusing thread twist, from TOC to reality in the woods discussion. rendered bacon fat to green trucks.

As for green trucks... I have a grey truck. I call it BLM grey. I added some numbers and letters to the doors and tailgate a few years ago when I was doing a lot of off-roading here and in No. Cal. With the numbers and Cb antenna, people would look at me and the truck, and just ignore us wherever we were. Looking quasi-official has its er, merits, when one is off-roading on logging roads, and being parked on stream banks when fishing.

I might say I find both sides entertaining. I have the priviledge of seeing both worlds. And both are strange worlds. I felt sympathy a couple of times and gave away my saw gas supply--a whole part of a gallon. Once to get a "finely tuned and maintained" logger pickup off the road, the other cuz it was just pitiful. We don't have green pickups anymore...mine is a filthy white.
We can't use soap to wash them here, don't know why, so since I fill the saw up with gas and oil on the tailgate, it doesn't clean off very well. But I love the feeling of walking up, lots of cussing going on and hands grappling with say, a carriage's interior workings, guys cussing about not having the right tool, then I cheerily say, what about a bar wrench, it looks about that size, heads emerge, the chaser is yelled at to get a bar wrench, bolt is loosened.....ahhh, triumph for the pissfir side. But I digress. How about that bar oil?
You have great writing skills you should quit your day job and Wright for a living!
look how much money the Hairy Potter books brought in!

You have great writing skills you should quit your day job and Wright for a living!
look how much money the Hairy Potter books brought in!

Last edited:
I told them the seahawks would get whupped. And I'm not even a football fan. Hmmm back to bar oil, I couldn't get it out because I "adjusted" the latch thing on the pickup box today. We got it shook loose prior to the game.
Not that I needed bar oil today, just the duck tape that was in there. I think the Seahawks were at a disadvantage due to their choice of fashion colors.
If I were the coach, I'd a been slapping flourescent duck tape all over the team so they could see each other in the snowstorm. Gray and white makes for good camo wear in the snow. What were they thinking?:confused:

Well.... isn't that speecial!? (blink blink)

Maybe he is double posting 'cause he has oil in his keyboard? Or, "in tha crack," as RiverRat2 put it?

Seahawks looked good in the first 10 minutes of the game. Couldn't see them for the last 10, it was dumping snow so hard in Green Bay. Hey, Green Bay, green trucks... :monkey:

I use Hydraulic oil from work. I have access to barrells of the stuff in 3 grades, HLP-HM 32, 68, and 100. In the summer I use the 100, and the winter 68. I has good adhesion, and doesn't clump up the little bits of dust and gunk. And it is free.

I was listening to the game on the way in on the Packer Radio Network.

"Please bear with us, we can't see any of the yard lines or the officials."

"Nice run of ahhhhhhhhh, about ten yards to the Seahawks 43 yd line or so."

Our snow about 100 miles north was very light.

Green rigs are being phased out in the Nicolet, mostly white now.

If I ran out of oil I would get on the lap top and get some semi synthetic from that company that starts with an A (for like $6 a QUART) and have them overnight it out to the woods.

Go Pack! From the little bit I saw on TV, that old man #4 looked pretty good, along with the youngsters.

We are not as fanatic of fans as you cheeseheads. At least where I lived there were inflatable Packer lawn ornaments all over, one guy along Highway 2 mowed the word "Packers" in his cutbank (until it snowed) one yard in town had Packers lawn furniture including a scenic Packers arched bridge over their little water feature. I got to put on the Cheese hat one time in the Packer bar (that wasn't the name, it was called that because it had Packer memorabilia floor to ceiling) Here, well, here we might have a Seahawks glass that we got years ago at the gas station. I have a Seahawks T-Shirt because I won the drawing for it. Hmmmm, maybe you could carry the bar oil back to your saw in a Seahawks glass. I thought everybody in the FS was supposed to go to white trucks because they cost less--no special paint required-- and have greater resale value. Except those of us who use paint kind of mess up whatever color of rig we get.

Well.... isn't that speecial!? (blink blink)

Maybe he is double posting 'cause he has oil in his keyboard? Or, "in tha crack," as RiverRat2 put it?

Seahawks looked good in the first 10 minutes of the game. Couldn't see them for the last 10, it was dumping snow so hard in Green Bay. Hey, Green Bay, green trucks... :monkey:
No oil in my Crack lol. Might be Rum and Coke though:monkey: from Spiting it on my computer after reading some of the post's on here.

Only happened to me once, cap on oil tank was loose. So I set up a snare and caught a wild pig. Butchered it right there on the spot. Rendered the fat out of that sucker and used that for bar oil. Smelled like bacon while cutten. Went back for the pig and it was taken by a pack of wild dogs (new story on the dogs, next chapter).

I swear it's true ;) ;) :D

:cheers: :cheers:
Might have guessed. funny though

Latest posts

Back