Bar oil necessary?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is any downside to running motor oil as bar oil on a short (14" to 16") bar for some light cutting. Is the tackifier really necessary for this application?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not only is there a lac of tacifier, the carbon in the motor oil would be hard on the oil pumps. I usually either pick it up at tractor supply on sale or sometimes I find it at garage sales. I bought a 3/4 full gallon jug for $1 last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New/clean motor oil... you'll use more and be messier. B&C oil is the cheapest oil producers either use to flush lines out or recycled oil, to which some anti-wear and tackifiers are added. Most motor oils are much more refined and contain higher levels of anti-wear additives.

As mentioned before it will use more and it seems to travel everywhere. Upside, it is easier to clean up and wash out of clothes. I use a lot of ATFs and motor oils, the only other issues being hard tips can get smokey and I would think that the potential for breathing/bathing in oil mist and or smoke is greatly increased. Often cut bar lube with the other oils which is the remedy for all the issues. Tsc oil usually 50/50 with free ATF.

Used engine oil will really make a mess of the saw, it's disgusting to work on such a saw.
New oil, well, I'm guilty of using it now and then (or gear oil) when I've run out of real bar oil... Last week my supplier was OUT of bar oil.. in the middle of firewood season.. :banghead:

Just don't ever buy bar oil produced by gypo logger. I did once and never will again. This is what I received!

16104093be4ff7f26cdaa63f048cf83b.jpg

839bde92c6bb6fd23c4f9db58d0a9790.jpg

Being some folks run canola oil through there you can pretty much use anything. As noted bar oil is cheaper than any other oil and has tackifier so unless you run out mid project there's no reason not to use it.

I won't run used oil because I acquired a saw that had been run that way and it was a mess. Otherwise I've used all kinds of Dino oil at one time or another.

Pure canola oil is great for max. bar lengths 20 inch and shorter. I like using it on larger tree cutting projekts. No sense contaminating the environment with mineral oil. My seldom use / oldtimer saws only get fed mineral oil. Seldom use would be my TH or my multi tools chain saw extension or my contra, 040 or 08.

Just DON'T MIX pure canola and mineral chain oil! It quickly becomes pretty sticky like glue.

Pure canola oil is great for bar lengths 20 inch and shorter. I like using it on larger tree cutting projekts. No sense contaminating the environment with mineral oil. My seldom use / oldtimer saws only get fed mineral oil. Seldom use would be my TH or my multi tools or my contra, 040 or 08.

Just DON'T MIX pure canola and mineral chain oil! It quickly becomes pretty sticky like glue.

Do you use something to slosh out the reservoir when changing from dino to vegetable oil or vice versa?

Do you use something to slosh out the reservoir when changing from dino to vegetable oil or vice versa?
I don't think it turns to glue right away - I just make sure I pump a full tank of mineral oil though and by then there can't be much canola left, if any.

I run at least one full tank through. The problem arises when letting the mix sit over a few weeks. And not every brand react in the same way, some react faster some slower. But if I switch I run at least a full tank through.
But as said the routine used saws can keep canola oil inside. If in doubt just go into your wife's kitchen and check out how often the oil get's racid over a year. Normaly it's no problem what so ever for a year or more. I might add that I ONLY use canola oil, have never tried out sun flower or other types. And I ALWAYS fill to the brim, to keep air level to a minimum.
And don't forget to keep the plastic oil bottle in a secure closing metal can! Why you ask? Because all types of rodents love the oil in winter time! They even try chewing threw chainsaw tanks if given the chance.
How do I avert it? I have a small paint roller that I treat outside wood with old engine oil. I just dab the saw a little around the cap area with the roller. That masks the canola pretty well that I have never had a problem since. I even use it on the plastic canola oil bottles lid.
And last, your MAJOR enemy on canola oil, is your dog! When he get's the taste, he can easily crack open the plastic lid and just loves to lick as much as he get's! At least his fur is nice and shiny... :eek: A little swab with the old engine oil and no problem anymore.

Latest posts

Back