Bar Sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hutch3912

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Should you grease the sprocket or not? I've heard conflicting reports on whether you shoulr or not.

Should you grease the sprocket or not? I've heard conflicting reports on whether you should or not.

I quit doing it a few years ago, but I don't have a strong opinion on the matter.

Worth noting is that the excellent German made Stihl bars don't come with grease holes.....

Last edited:
It is really up to you. My rule of thumb is that if the bar has a grease port, grease it. If it does not, let it alone. The trick is that if you start with the grease, you will need to keep on greasing. Just a pump every fill up will do and don’t forget to give the clutch bearings a little love whenever you remember.

...or atteact more of it in there....:confused:

Good point, valve lapping compound is really just grit in grease.

I greased bar-noses for years, never wore one out, I haven't for years, and have not wore one out.

I seem if I ever replace a nose sprocket on one of my saws, it was operator error.

If you feel the sprocket with out greasing it, you can feel a lot of resistance from the oil that got in there, I trust good bar oil, and don't miss leaky grease guns.

never have never will

if you grease it even once, that grease ultimately forms a gasket of sorts, so you have to continue greasing it because the bar oil never gets there. if you never grease it the bar oil does the lubricating.

ive never greased the tip, ive never lost one to wear. i dont even use real bar oil, if its oil i use it. mostly used 10w30.

The bar on my old 026 is dripping with chain oil, so I don't see a reason to add more.

...or trap more of it in there....:confused:

Maybe you don't follow...I don't grease my nose bearings. Every so often I flood a light penetrating oil into the bearings to clean them of debris. The bar oil pulled to the nose is more than enough lube.

I am old school on this one

I prefer to grease them. One of the Stihl© Bars I had I hauled off and drilled a hole there. Never-the-less, there are enough that are not lubing them, and they ain't flying apart so maybe I am wastin' my time.

It is my time, and my grease, and my bar.

-Pat

It is more important to keep the grit and grime cleaned out of the nose...

Maybe you don't follow...I don't grease my nose bearings. Every so often I flood a light penetrating oil into the bearings to clean them of debris. The bar oil pulled to the nose is more than enough lube.

I see, I assumed that "it" was a reference to the grease - read your first post wrong.....

Last edited:
If you cut wood in a freezing winter climate how many of you had to heavily tap the end of the bar on the ground or against a tree first thing in the morning to free the sprocket nose because it was frozen from melted snow in the tip from the day before? As a faller I greased my bar tip in the winter at the end of the day to get any water out of the tip to prevent this problem, not a big problem mind you but it helped the tips last a little longer and the beating saved on the saw. Other then this situation I don't bother greasing my tips ,chainoil seems to keep them well lubricated. The biggest stress on a sprocket nose tip is pinching the tip in a limb or top and the chain is still turning for even a second or two. So be carefull pinching those tips especially with a high powered saw.:)

Last edited:
Ironic

Ironic that I started this thread then two days later was felling a big pine with a 18" bar(first bad idea) didn't check the wind(second bad idea) and the pine rolled over on my tip and bent the sh!t out of my bar. Just thought that was a little ironic.

Latest posts

Back