Bar tip grease gun

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Where can I buy a good bar tip grease gun? I can't find any high-quality grease guns in my area - just the el-cheapo Oregon plastic grease guns. My local saw-shop owner is an *ss, so I refuse to give him any business. I would prefer to just find the special fitting and attach it to a regular pump-style grease gun, but I haven't had any luck. Point me to a web-site or maybe one of you dealers can help me out! Thanks!

grease gun tip.

Go to NAPA autoparts. They have grease gun tips w/ the same point that the oregon el cheapo has on them that screw on to your pump grease gun. I use one to grease the axle ujoints on my 79 Blazer. The grease zirks are flat and the only way to grease them is with this attachment. Hope this helps.

Steve

Check Ebay and or Baileys . I have seen the better steel ones on there .

Any pros here grease tips? I almost never have, and never have them get hot or go bad....

Not a paid pro but do grease the bar tip on all my chainsaws with gas fill up . I figured it helps when ya start it back up and the bar oiler isnt in full swing yet. Lack of lube is always a problem but dont hear to many people talk about over lube issues with anything . It only takes a second to shoot the bar tip when refuling .

Four Paws said:
Where can I buy a good bar tip grease gun? I can't find any high-quality grease guns in my area - just the el-cheapo Oregon plastic grease guns. My local saw-shop owner is an *ss, so I refuse to give him any business. I would prefer to just find the special fitting and attach it to a regular pump-style grease gun, but I haven't had any luck. Point me to a web-site or maybe one of you dealers can help me out! Thanks!

There was a thread this past winter or spring and the general consensus was that it was not the best move to grease the sproket. Stihl apparently no longer has a grease hole for their bars, and others with other brands of bars feel that greasing contributes to early sproket failure by trapping grit. They feel the chain oil does an adequate job of lubrication. You may wish to do a search for the thread, some experienced sawyers gave their view on the subject.

I used to, like a good boy but it really makes no diff. On everything from 394s to 020s. If I was milling I think I would cause of the hard work of the saw and the cleaner wood.

rbtree said:
Any pros here grease tips? I almost never have, and never have them get hot or go bad....

Except for that 5 footer with the rusted tip! Grease 'might" have helped keep the rain out even with the hole in the roof :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

That leak is getting expensive!

Do it or dont .

Well if you have ever added grease to the bar tip when the chain is off you will notice when the grease is added it pushes out a lot of junk / dirt / woodchips .........if you add grease or not the junk is will still get in the tip , at lease if you add grease it pushes most of the junk out and it gets a freash start . kinda like changing you oil i guess . I say if you want to do it .......Do it . if not then dont . If you want to change your cars oil at 3k miles , do it . If you think you can get 10k miles out of an car oil change ......super , its up to the owner . :yoyo:

Grease or not ,,

I have been told to continue with greasing if you have started to do it, otherwise the bar oil should be enough ,,,

/Kristoffer

The bars with holes, I grease, those without, I don't.

Way back when (around 30 years ago) I set up for cutting my own wood. One of the best tools I got was the grease gun.

I bought a mini, cartridge fill, lever gun with the the tip going out at right angles. Then bought at NAPA the needle nose adapter. Jab, squeeze and done. Also hangs from my tool box by the lever handle out of the way. Beats the push with palm types a bunch and changing cartridges is a snap (not that you have to very often).

Harry K

Back in '75, with my first saw, Echo, it came with a sprocket-nose bar and I used one of those inexpensive little grease jobbers to grease it every day.

Had several bars, all the same. Then I went over to Stihl in the early nineties and was surprised to find the bars had no grease holes. I see longer life in my Stihl [brand] no–grease bars than the earlier ones I had, all Oregon. Don't know why, tho' I have found that in my use Stihl makes a better and longer-lived bar. But I no longer grease bars.

It seems the only people who grenade tips are the guys who fall the good stuff. If you don't use plunge cuts alot. The tip doesn't seem to need the grease as much.

+1 on the Stihl bars being best.

Fred

Mr. said:
It seems the only people who grenade tips are the guys who fall the good stuff. If you don't use plunge cuts alot. The tip doesn't seem to need the grease as much.

+1 on the Stihl bars being best.

Fred

I've had a string of bad luck with oregons lately. For the record, I grease daily when in the woods cutting or felling. I don't grease when playing with the saws in my yard. lol

Plunging with an oregon is hard on the tips! I hadn't ever blown a tip until about a few weeks ago. I had a 28" on the 372 out in the woods dropping two trees. First one went great, 2nd one it didn't likey. Tha bar was about three years old, but still looks like new, and still has the powermatch lettering on it. I only break it out for the bigger stuff, so you can see it didn't have many hours on the tip.

Similarly, I had an oregon 24" that came with the last 066 I bought. I used that a couple weeks ago, mind you it had a brand new tip. Blew that one out too. I also found it very interestinh how fast that oregon bar wore with a stock 066 with a modded muffler. I think oregon bars wear with the wind! Don't look at them the wrong way either :laugh:

I've recently picked up a couple stihl bars, but don't have much trigger time with them on, other than my normal 20 incher. No problems there. I really like my Total super bars (Tsumara). I have a piar of them that has tons of hours on it. They must have a titainium kinda metal in them, because they don't wear much, and the tips seem to hold up. I pretty much bore/plunge cut everything.

-Steve

Back