Barn/Yard/Garage Sale Finds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
Reaction score
Got off to a late start this Sat. due to the boy's 9am baseball game. Still found lots of bargains to be had. Now that yard sale season's in full swing, I'm wondering what others might have found kicking around.

Found this at a sale where most of the merchandise consisted of coffee mugs and 1970s era chinaware. Wasn't even out for sale, but I noticed a woodmizer mill set up off in the distance, so I knew there was a lot of stuff in the barn that might be of interest - even if not to buy, then just to look at and admire.

Got to talking with the oldtimer of the house who was taking a break from yardwork. His barn was like a museum of anything that has an engine. He sold me one of his Homelite 550s for $75. Runs awesome and made some 20" red oak rounds like it was 6" pine. Even threw in a new chain and the owners manual. Cleanest saw I've ever bought secondhand.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'll give you $100 plus shipping for it, nice find by the way. Does it have that distinctive homie sound of an XL12.

I'll give you $100 plus shipping for it, nice find by the way. Does it have that distinctive homie sound of an XL12.

I'll pass on the offer. Probably won't be my go-to saw for firewood since it's about 20lbs with a 24" bar and a full tank. But having the 550 in the line-up will be useful in a few weeks when I go in to clean up after a logging operation. Mostly tops, but there's going to be some wood in the 20-28" range.

That, and it'll come in handy if the FIL ever gets serious about our talk of going halfsies on a mill.

...And it does have that classic homie sound - just more. Like what I'd imagine Satan uses for dental work.

Was not really serious about the offer and i bet if you run it enough it will loosen your fillings.

Me too, nice find!!!

I thought so - a nice 'throwback saw' from a time when Homelite professional saw wasn't a contradiction.

Did a search on here to find out more about the saw - in addition to what's on Acres site and the manual. Didn't find too much. Lots of questions about parts availability, but not a lot of comments about its performance. Not too many gripes either.

Also looked on eBay and elsewhere to see what they're fetching up. Found lots of parts listings, but no complete saws in good running condition.

I picked up an 028 super for $50.00. It isn't nearly as pretty as your homie but runs like a top!

Mike

The 041FB I picked up a couple weeks ago set me back $50.

attachment.php

The only saw in my sig line bought new was last year's 260, which handles the bulk of my firewood cutting - and the craftsman my wife bought me for Christmas many years ago.

nice find, I havemnt had any luck yet this year at tag sales. I stop at almost everyone I see (excuse to girlfriend: "looking for nie things for the house", which OMI isnt really lying) but no luck yet.

woodbooga, that ain't right! Just kiddin', good for you on the 550! That saw or a 540 is what I have in my mind for an inexpensive big saw. Would like to find one as you did from an oldtimer. I'm happy with my saw lineup, but I have come across some big wood where a 80cc + saw would be nice to have. I think the old 550 or 540 would fit.

Kevin

nice find, I havemnt had any luck yet this year at tag sales. I stop at almost everyone I see (excuse to girlfriend: "looking for nie things for the house", which OMI isnt really lying) but no luck yet.

I go to sales stag. I love the wife dearly, but she's not a good bargainer in that if she sees something she likes, she has a hard time walking away if the price ain't right. Also, I doubt she'd have much enjoyed the hour or so me and the 550 seller spent talking saws and firewood and milling. :)

woodbooga, that ain't right! Just kiddin', good for you on the 550! That saw or a 540 is what I have in my mind for an inexpensive big saw. Would like to find one as you did from an oldtimer. I'm happy with my saw lineup, but I have come across some big wood where a 80cc + saw would be nice to have. I think the old 550 or 540 would fit.

Kevin

Just dumb luck on my part. But I reckon persistence and knowing what questions to ask plays a part in luck.

The seller has converted over to Huskies for his mill and firewooding. He also had two 550s. He likes having one as a backup but didn't reckon he needed two. Knowing that I'd actually use it and take care of it, he sold it to me for what he paid for it second hand several years ago. Since he paid full retail for the other one, he chose to keep that one.

Back