Battery recommendations for kubota

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philoshop

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
B7500, 22hp diesel that gets used for plowing as well as wood gathering throughout the year. I need to do both at the moment and I'm sitting here typing while I should be working because the battery needs to be charged, again. No prob's when it's warm, but the time constraints when the sun only shines for a limited time and work needs to be done means a new battery is in order.
Anybody have a recommendation as to brand and cold crank amps that won't kill me cost-wise? Mid teens would likely be the low temp for my needs.

Single battery? For my single batt small diesel truck I am running a 1000cca one from napa, think it was 135 bucks or so. For around 200 you can get the big sears diehard platinum gel cell, which is more or less around the best out there for a rough duty batt. In retrospect, i should have spent more and gotten that one....

My boss buys batts at tractor supply, I am not impressed *at all* with how they (don't) hold up in the equipment here.

I have found Sears Die Hards very difficult to beat. I would also get a Battery Tender Plus to keep your battery up to charge when not in use. The Tender has paid for itself many times over.

Get the next larger recommended Cold Cranking Amps than is what is in your tractor now if it is the original battery. Been doing this for years on every vehicle I've ever owned, utility or transportation. The battery chemistry is well understood so the two things you want to look for are CCA and months of service. I like Interstate myself.

I have several batteries from Costco, their priivate label is Kirkland. I have the 3 in my boat and they take a beating pounding over waves and constant charging cycles. They are 5 years old and I have never really maintained the as I should but they don't seem too mind. Five years of spending the winters outside with occasional charging, when I remember to plug in an extension cord. They are the best batteries I have ever used. When I replaced the old interstate batteries with them I noticed there weighed a bit more, more weight in a battery means more lead in the plates which makes them strong. they were also $50 less than the interstates!!!!

I have several batteries from Costco, their priivate label is Kirkland. I have the 3 in my boat and they take a beating pounding over waves and constant charging cycles. They are 5 years old and I have never really maintained the as I should but they don't seem too mind. Five years of spending the winters outside with occasional charging, when I remember to plug in an extension cord. They are the best batteries I have ever used. When I replaced the old interstate batteries with them I noticed there weighed a bit more, more weight in a battery means more lead in the plates which makes them strong. they were also $50 less than the interstates!!!!

Kirkland brand stuff from Costco is usually pretty good stuff.

Sent from my AutoTune carb

Thanks for the input folks.
Got the battery charged, and the plowing and wood hauling done for the day!
I started thinking about a new battery last winter when it started acting up, then the weather got better and the other priorities took hold, as usual.
If I remember correctly it was the physical size of the battery that was giving me fits. High cca in a size that's smaller than standard.
I'll check that tomorrow.

Single battery? For my single batt small diesel truck I am running a 1000cca one from napa, think it was 135 bucks or so. For around 200 you can get the big sears diehard platinum gel cell, which is more or less around the best out there for a rough duty batt. In retrospect, i should have spent more and gotten that one....

My boss buys batts at tractor supply, I am not impressed *at all* with how they (don't) hold up in the equipment here.

My thoughts exactly !! The T.S.C. Batteries do good for a while...but Napa will last even longer . Ive heard about the Sears Diehard batteries..but never have tried any .

Diehard used to be good batteries but the last few i had were junk and lasted about a year

Sent from my AutoTune carb

Thanks for the input folks.
Got the battery charged, and the plowing and wood hauling done for the day!
I started thinking about a new battery last winter when it started acting up, then the weather got better and the other priorities took hold, as usual.
If I remember correctly it was the physical size of the battery that was giving me fits. High cca in a size that's smaller than standard.
I'll check that tomorrow.

I have two diesel kubota mowers here to use and if it is the same in your tractor, ya, the battery compartment is sorta smallish. You can't fit a big truck battery in there. You might could modify it though.

I plow snow commercially, 2 years on any battery is about all I get before problems start arising. had all different kinds including gel types. the High current draw and the pounding/vibration tears them up internally. Even had a yellow top optima( close to $300) -lasted just past warranty - shorted internally. Internal breakdown is what I mostly run into not an age factor. another factor is the alternator output really doesn't start charge wise until about 1500 rpms ( eng) on most vehicles. alternators that start outputting at say 900 rpm(eng) are pricey, hard to find also. It gets a little dicey changing out the pulley diameter on the alternators as well with the serpentine belts.

For some reason (unknown to me) diesels seem to be hard on batteries. Add cold weather and batteries don’t seem to last long no mater what brand I use.
But my suggestion is don’t skimp on a battery.
If you’ll pay attention when a diesel drives up you can smell the batteries cooking.
Don’t know why, they just kill batteries.

I plow snow commercially, 2 years on any battery is about all I get before problems start arising. had all different kinds including gel types. the High current draw and the pounding/vibration tears them up internally. Even had a yellow top optima( close to $300) -lasted just past warranty - shorted internally. Internal breakdown is what I mostly run into not an age factor. another factor is the alternator output really doesn't start charge wise until about 1500 rpms ( eng) on most vehicles. alternators that start outputting at say 900 rpm(eng) are pricey, hard to find also. It gets a little dicey changing out the pulley diameter on the alternators as well with the serpentine belts.

Part of the deal on batteries today is they make two kinds, a winter battery then a summer battery. Or the manufacturers call it a northern batt and a southern. Apparently, they can make one more heat resistant, but it won't crank good when it is cold. If it cranks well cold, then it starts to deconstruct itself once it gets hot.

The optimas allegedly were pretty good until a couple years ago when they moved production to mexico and changed the lead content, etc. Made em lots cheaper but charged the same money for them.

But ya..nothing I have tried lasts long anymore. Used to be in ye olden daze I could get around 7 years from a battery, now like you said, two years.

I know you can get a *real* expensive lithium ion truck battery now, hopefully this tech will keep getting cheaper.

Haven't felt like going out yet today to have a look-see.
The battery that's in there works fine in warmer weather, maybe just a little bit soft on power. I wouldn't mind switching the battery for warm/cold weather. Maybe look for a good cold weather one.
I never thought about the rpm on the alternator so thanks for that! When I'm just haulin wood and such I tend to keep the rpm down in the 1500 range just to save a little on fuel. Maybe I should rethink that strategy, during the winter at least.

Haven't felt like going out yet today to have a look-see.
The battery that's in there works fine in warmer weather, maybe just a little bit soft on power. I wouldn't mind switching the battery for warm/cold weather. Maybe look for a good cold weather one.
I never thought about the rpm on the alternator so thanks for that! When I'm just haulin wood and such I tend to keep the rpm down in the 1500 range just to save a little on fuel. Maybe I should rethink that strategy, during the winter at least.

The alternator should have a regulator that allows it to charge at any RPM, so that shouldn’t be an issue, unless the regulator is going out.

Optima is the only battery I buy any more. They don't leak down and can set for months and still hold a charge. They also don't leak acid. Have 6 of them, oldest is over 11 years old and still going strong, two bout 8 years old and a couple newer. I sure hope their quality didn't recently go down the tube!

No its not a regulator issue per say but an rpm issue to get the potential up. Your regulator/rectifier acts as a choke so you don't fry your battery when running at say 3k rpm, changes the AC output to a usable DC of apx 15v potential. Not a technical description but you get the jist.
there is a minimum rpm to excite the coils for out put potential to cause charging to take place. Heavy duty alternators are just higher amperage potential still subject to the same rpms but allow faster charging. In the old days it was fairly common to change the pulley on the alternator/ Generator( going back even father)to have usable potential at say 900 rpm or lower preferably just about idle rpm. When I tapp the controller for the plow it is about the same as cranking the starter 300-400 amps. The short runs of a typical job don't allow much for charging. Anything at or below 10.5 volts and you are SOL on today's vehicles. A weak or failing battery will cause excessive draw from the alternator causing premature failure.

Fired right up this morning, no prob! Put the charger on it yesterday and then plowed for an hour and half or so. Yesterday's temp was single digits, this morning when I got around to starting it the temp was a balmy 22F. The last time it was used before yesterday was 11/1, deer draggin' duty and it was in the 50's. Not a real fair comparison sooo...we'll see.

The battery is 9"Lx5"W and basically the height of a normal battery. No real way to mod the compartment w/o getting into the grille/screen. That area is all sealed with gaskets and such to keep the radiator clean, so I"m not going there. Fluid levels are fine. I have a sneakin' suspicion it might be the original battery!! That would be 20+ years! 1500 hrs or so on the tractor. I guess I owe it to the old gal to pony up for some new juice when I find one w/ decent cca that will fit. I'll keep lookin'.
Thanks again for all the help guys.

Back