bb250 to woodsman 12x or 15x

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctkiteboarding

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
im sick of the feed system and want to try something else , whos made the switch and how do u like the woodsman, compared to the BB 250 ?? R

We have a 12X and its pretty good. We allready had to replace the axle twice. It seames a little tinney compared to the BB. Some of the guys like it and some don't. The 1590 BB will blow the The 12X or the 15X away in my opinion.

i have a 1590 , the ffeed syatem is a little better, but not perfect yet, still jams up and stuff...but over all its a bad a** machine

To help the feed probs on our 250s we cut a little more of a gap in front of the feed wheel. Just a little and it seems to help.

I've had a 15X for almost 3 years and really am pleased with it. The axle issues got me also. That was a Dexter problem not a Woodsman problem (they don't make the axle). I replaced mine with a 8K axle and the problem is solved. Laurie from Dexter said they've had a lot of chipper axle failures. I had a problem with my feed wheel and Woodsman replaced it for free.......a year after the warranty expired. I've run Bandits, Morbark, Vermeer and Conehead and to date I feel that Woodsman has it hands down.

My $.02+

Woodsman 15x

I have owned a Woodsman 15x for almost a year now. It is by far the best chipper in its class. Mine has the John Deere 140 hp engine and a winch. I have used Bandit 200+ 250xp 1590, Morbark Tornado, Storm, Hurricane and Vermeer 1400&1800bc in the past. They are all good chippers and will get the job done but don't even come close to the Woodsmans performance. The chipper is built like a tank and simple to perform maintenance on. I love the single infeed roller with (2) hydraulic motors on it. It has incredible power and the down pressure is unmatched. My infeed wheel did not bind up at all this year even while chipping trees with vines on them. The strength of the infeed system snaps crotches like they are nothing. You very rearly have to cut a crotch before you chip it. The throat opening to the chipper blades is 16 inches high by 24 inches wide. The 15x is more like a small 18 inch chipper thatn a 15 inch. My advice is to demo one or talk to someone in your area that has one. You can also e-mail me with any questions you have. Go to woodsmans website and get info sent to you. www.woodsmanchippers.com

One of my friends demoed a Bandit 1590 this summer and I went to see it. The chipper is a nice machine but does not perform like the Woodsman especially when you see the size of this machine. It is rather big. Compare the specs of the machines. The throat openings are very diffrent. You will be fustrated with the 2 wheel infeed system just like you are with your 250. The machine that I saw bound up (feed wheels)several times.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck in your search, DFD34

im leaning towards the woodsman 15x,,

i just found a 05 12x for 28k w 1200hrs, ive been lead to believe it can chip 15"material once in awhile without much problem?? also it can be modified to match the 15x specs??

im thinking thats aot of hours for the yr,,

what kinda hrs do you guys have and what year machines?? R

Last edited:
My chipper is close to 3 years old and it has 350 hours on it. I stage brush and run it through or feed it with a skid loader. I don't let it run while I rake.

yea sounds right my bb 250 is 2 1/2 w 700hrs,,,, the woodsman w 1200 after one yr worries me but 28k is a great price,,,

I have a 2007 woodsman - 730 that I just paid $28,000 for and it is the cats ARSE.

86 hp - runs better that ALL OTHER 12" machines .

For what its worth

would u guys say that a 2003 18x jd 125hp, single axle w 459hrs for 28k is better then a new 730 w warranty for 28k

18X with 125HP

Sounds like a good price but it also sounds like the machine is under horse powered with only 125 HP. Most 15x come with 140hp. I am sure you will like it.:rock:

Latest posts

Back