Beavers and Tree Felling...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt, I believe there used to be a strong affinity by Beavers for the cartographic rendition of the Island of Tasmania (also known as a Map of Tassie) although i believe that currently many younger Beavers appear to have shown a strong affinity for, or mimic the actions of some of their kin in South America, specifically Brazil, even if they can't reside there.

Rick. You may or may not know but next Friday I am heading to Tassie and as luck would have it my other half is unable to go. Does that mean I have a higher chance of seeing Beavers in Tasmania or a lesser chance?

By the way, I didn't know Beavers were in Tasmania but am pretty sure you have it wrong with Brazil, most of the Beavers have been removed there from what I've heard?

Matt, I believe there used to be a strong affinity by Beavers for the cartographic rendition of the Island of Tasmania (also known as a Map of Tassie) although i believe that currently many younger Beavers appear to have shown a strong affinity for, or mimic the actions of some of their kin in South America, specifically Brazil, even if they can't reside there.

**** you talking bout Rick?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

**** you talking bout Rick?

Al please stay out of this dicussion. You had your chance earlier asking whether Beavers can yell "Timberrrr" and trying to make a joke out of a serious thread. I have since found out that Beavers can't talk (thankyou Wikipedia).

Do you think Beavers would use snatch straps to get trees over?

Last edited:
But a Beaver that is eager is far better. Anyway Aaron, please remember this is a serious thread. It is not about the smaller series of McCulloch chainsaws. Try to remain on topic please :) Unless you know a Beaver's felling techniques please stick to being attacked by rogue emus and leave the comments up to our Beaver expert friends from the Northern Hemisphere...

By the way, how are those Box Thorn puncture wounds going?

just wonderfull thanks matt, blokes at work are calling me russell coight!

Al please stay out of this dicussion. You had your chance earlier asking whether Beavers can yell "Timberrrr" and trying to make a joke out of a serious thread. I have since found out that Beavers can't talk (thankyou Wikipedia).

Meow.....

:monkey:

Fine then............I'll go start a "beaver eaters" thread!

So does anybody actually know whether they use Humbolts? Once I can determine that I'll ask about Dutchmans...

Seeing as the Beaver we are discussing here is native to North America, does that mean that there are sub-species of Castor canadensis called Castor canadensis mcCulloch and Castor canadensis pioneer ?

And if so, how have they survived the onslaught of the European Beaver upon their haibtat, Castor fiber, sub species Castor fiber husqvarnis and castor fiber stihlis and the sub-sub species Castor fiber solis and castor fiber dolmaris ?

And if they need dentures, do they use the Oregon brand and which version ?

Last edited:
After digging further I discovered this picture of a Beaver's felling technique. Obviously this Beaver has limited felling experience and is placing himself in danger. His escape path to the right is blocked. Guys like this one should be shot on sight. He also looks pretty cocky with what he is doing...

American-beaver-felling-a-tree.jpg

A far better technique was used here. Although difficult to tell whether the more suitable Humbolt was used at least his facecut doesn't seem to be 90% of the trunk diameter like that amateur logger above. Also look at the size of the chips. His rakers must have been significantly lowered...

Trees-felled-by-American-beavers.jpg

Interesting image this one. His tooth angles seem to be spot on although his rakers may need to be dropped a tad and his lips dressed...

Marks-in-a-tree-caused-by-the-teeth-of-an-American-beaver.jpg

Last edited:
that there beaver reminds me of me self, short legs short arms big gut and covered in fur!
same sorta cutting style too

Back