Beavers and Tree Felling...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
American-beaver-felling-a-tree.jpg

Thats one nice beaver!:)

Certainly a centrefold contender for Beaver Of The Month magazine. His hair is so shiny it's like Hollywood got hold of him prior to the photo...

Certainly a centrefold contender for Beaver Of The Month magazine. His hair is so shiny it's like Hollywood got hold of him prior to the photo...

yeah matt i can see him spread out across a nice rough sawn slab daisy duke style:)

I think it would be in the section called beaver shot:clap:

So does anybody actually know whether they use Humbolts? Once I can determine that I'll ask about Dutchmans...

what i see on my farm is an open-faced cut with and open-faced, back-cut and an open-faced, side-cut. i hate the little rodents. while they do take down some 6-8" trees, most of what they cut are small sapplings. they also use lots of "found" trees and sticks. i think it is faster for them to find stuff the has already fallen. they also use lots of mud from the bottom to make the dam water-fast. they are relentless and tireless workers. if you tear holes in their dams, the simply rebuild, again and again and again, ad naseum. a quarter stick of dynamite dropped into their den during the middle of the day is a nice little house warming gift.

Great thread Matt, I have been wondering some of the questions myself.

Some of the pics have shown that beaver felling skills are not so crash hot. Their notch to back cut ratio seems a bit off for a start. However, their nest building skills are pretty cool - have a look at this beaver lodge. It even has a concealed tunnel entrance.

attachment.php

what i see on my farm is an open-faced cut with and open-faced, back-cut and an open-faced, side-cut. i hate the little rodents. while they do take down some 6-8" trees, most of what they cut are small sapplings. they also use lots of "found" trees and sticks. i think it is faster for them to find stuff the has already fallen. they also use lots of mud from the bottom to make the dam water-fast. they are relentless and tireless workers. if you tear holes in their dams, the simply rebuild, again and again and again, ad naseum. a quarter stick of dynamite dropped into their den during the middle of the day is a nice little house warming gift.

Ah ha. Somebody (apart from me) has made sense once again.

I gather they are protected or do you need permits to get rid of them if they become a pest?

(or Dynamite? :D )

Great thread Matt, I have been wondering some of the questions myself.

Some of the pics have shown that beaver felling skills are not so crash hot. Their notch to back cut ratio seems a bit off for a start. However, their nest building skills are pretty cool - have a look at this beaver lodge. It even has a concealed tunnel entrance.

beaver_lodge.jpg

They are exceptional dam builders mate but yeah their felling techniques need some work...

Similar to the Viet Cong and just as cunning...

Last edited:
beaver comfort and PPE

In contrast to the well dressed beaver above, the downright oppressive heat and humidity this summer has motivated many of our beavers to remove their fur coats and all together stop using PPE. An added bonus here has been far less hair in mouths during eating time however the disregard for PPE has left some burning issues yet to be resolved.... Here's a rendering of our bald beavers.

attachment.php

Talking about beavers and tree felling, I have this little fella on my hat. I hear they are very rare but can do a lot of damage...

attachment.php

I have some experience with beavers and as mentioned, they are pests. You can rip out the dam, but unless you remove the rodents they will simply rebuild. I think that they can sense when the water is moving or the level is dropping.

I have had to use woven wire around the base of trees in order to prevent them from being eaten. Their technique seems to be to nibble all the way around the base to drop the tree. I think they like to get the branches towards or into the water where they can be transported to the dam or to their hut. Once they pack it in with mud it is difficult to remove. Had to drain a pond and use a D-4 to clean the mess up once.

However, I do not recall seeing any leaners, they seem to be able to drop them on the ground once they start.

Ah ha. Somebody (apart from me) has made sense once again.

I gather they are protected or do you need permits to get rid of them if they become a pest?

(or Dynamite? :D )

in Georgia, you can trap or shot them at any time. i'm not sure the dynamite technique is sanctioned, but it is VERY effective. Beavers tend to do most of their work at night and lay-up in the den during the day; work all night, sleep all day!!!! ka-boooom!!!!!

In contrast to the well dressed beaver above, the downright oppressive heat and humidity this summer has motivated many of our beavers to remove their fur coats and all together stop using PPE. An added bonus here has been far less hair in mouths during eating time however the disregard for PPE has left some burning issues yet to be resolved

Do their fur coats come with zippers Nik or do they just plain old get waxed?

Do their fur coats come with zippers Nik or do they just plain old get waxed?

I've yet to see one with zippers.......

and you dissed me earlier when I mentioned Beavers and Brazilian in the same sentence ??

Hmmph. :mad:
perhaps it was my reasoning that let me get away with it....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back