Been out doing lines...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zopi

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
finally got around to some of the big (free!) pine I've had stashed out back for the last several months...2x4 mostly, but I did make a couple big 2x slabs..might be a 400 lb bar somewhere down the line...or I'll get sick of looking at them (read:moving) and make something else..whatever..

the neat stuff I did tonight involved loading that monster onto the mill...couldn't
get traction enough just using a cant hook on the ratchet ramps....so I did some neat stuff with the truck and a double fall tackle...sailor engineering..same for turning it...couldn't git r done...drove a couple log dogs into the slab wood and
rove in a tag line...back to the blocks and pulled that up by hand.

didn't like the way the clamps looked holding it up, so I fixed myself a
quick hydraulic log clamp with a bottle jack. high tech redneck. :greenchainsaw:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

sawmills

Hey Zopi I have always wondered how well the smaller woodmizers worked and what difference the motor size makes. So just fgor curiosity how long does it take to mill a log like the one pictured?

I cut two logs last night..that big bastid, and one little cypress that I just made 3x4 bunks out of...the big one with loading, turning reloading the slabs
and off bearing took me a couple hours...but I wasn't trying to get it done quick. If I had a FEL or forklift, it would have taken me alot less time.

The 15 hp engine works just fine, but it's certainly not a CAT diesel..it will load down and slow the cut on bigger logs, it seems to take few to get the
feel of what it will take as far as load. stalling in a cut sucks.

The mill is awesome..it's easy to maintain and use..lotta labor, but it doesn't come with an LT40 price tag either.

I've cut maybe 1500-2000 bdft on it so far, and no problems.

that LT15's lookin' good with that pine log. did i see one of those newfangled high teck cant hooks in there? dig your mill.....i'm a WM man myself....great pix

yep...the Logrite stuff rocks! That thing will grab a greasy booger and turn it....after I used one at another guys mill i hadta have it, and will not be without it...I was using it to load some big pecan cookies I cut for firewood today...toted home about two tons of the stuff.

Got home tonight and whittled the last third of that big pine into 2x..few 6s and alot of 4s..wound up with maybe 40 six to nine foot 2x4s and six or eight 2x6...and 19 1x12s....butt ton o lumber in that log. still have three big pines to play with.

I love this mill...it makes me work hard enough to get some exercise, but not so hard that it becomes too much, or gets boring. I like my big CSM, but I have made more lumber in the last two weeks than I would make in a year with the CSM....

I would still like to have a swinger though...maybe someday i will come across a smoking deal on one at the same time I have some money...:greenchainsaw:

i use a cant hook for turning quite a bit on my mill. it has a log turner on it but uses the same winch used to put the log on the mill and has to be threaded to it. i use it for larger logs. does that cant hook have the longer handle on it?

i use a cant hook for turning quite a bit on my mill. it has a log turner on it but uses the same winch used to put the log on the mill and has to be threaded to it. i use it for larger logs. does that cant hook have the longer handle on it?

I think this one is 60" or so..much longer and it would be a pain...

Latest posts

Back