Bee's by the wood pile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Why does it always seem there are so many bee's by the wood pile this time of year? Is it the smell of fresh cut wood that attracts them or are they looking for a new home for winter? I haven't been stung yet but they are annoying. btw I have only had my wood delivered a couple weeks ago so I don't thing there are any nests in there this soon.

Pesky yellowjackets thrive during this time of year.

Last year, we had quite the yellow jacket hive locate in a punky length of ash. The clothesline is right next to the woodpile and my wife got stung 7 times while hanging the wash. Called me at work and begged me to come home early since a few of them followed her indoors and needed to be dealt with.

There was quite a bot of activity in this hive. About 40 coming and going per minute.

One night after dark, I tossed this stick of wood in the bed of the truck and ran like hell. Next day, I backed up to a local pond and drowned the suckers, again, running like hell and pulling away real quick with the windows rolled all the way up.

Sadly our yard is paradise for bees. Wife planted a million flowers, we have a small goldfish pond for them to get water, and they have a beautiful place to nest, in my woodpile.

Sadly our yard is paradise for bees. Wife planted a million flowers, we have a small goldfish pond for them to get water, and they have a beautiful place to nest, in my woodpile.

sounds nice! makes me wanna join the bees too!

i usually don't bother with the bees unless they seem aggressive. i wait until it gets cold out and go after them then.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back