Before and after pruning photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How about some photos of some good pruning jobs you've seen or done?
We have lots of posts on hatracking, pollarding, etc., but I can't say I've seen before and after photos of trees that have been pruned properly. I tried a search but the server was busy.

buzz sawyer said:
can't say I've seen before and after photos of trees that have been pruned properly.

Here in lies the dilema.

I did a fence line prune job properly and some people still carried on.

attachment.php

Did you read the thread? I got an additional pic for it to post today on another example.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=36825

Ekka said:
Here in lies the dilema.

I did a fence line prune job properly and some people still carried on.
I see what you mean. Hope I didn't stir up a hornet nest. I just wanted to see some positive examples of what is being preached on this site.
I'm by no means a tree expert, but my first impression was the pruning was correct with consideration to what the owner and customer would agree on. After reading the other thread, I still agree. Hopefully, some who disagreed will post some of their work.

buzz sawyer said:
Hopefully, some who disagreed will post some of their work.

That's what you'll never see, same with videos. A whole bunch of talking the talk but no walking the walk. :laugh:

I was out cruising on the bike today and spotted these 2 pines. Now I'm of 2 opinions. Yes the cuts were "target" but is this a reduction or topping or over thinning or what?

The pics came out of my cell phone as I didn't have the good camera with me.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ekka said:
I was out cruising on the bike today and spotted these 2 pines. Now I'm of 2 opinions. Yes the cuts were "target" but is this a reduction or topping or over thinning or what?

The pics came out of my cell phone as I didn't have the good camera with me.

Pics look fine. I think "all of the above" is an accurate decription. Maybe another case of planting a tree without thinking about future growth. I'm guessing - the homeowner wanted more sun on the roof?

Ekka said:
I'd say less cones and debri, but why not just TD?
Yeah - you're probably right. Something I never noticed- do pines sprout new branches in the bare areas shown in the photo or do the remaining branches just get fuller to fill in the hole - or neither? I can't say I've ever seen this much cutting on one that wasn't going to be removed.

They dont sprout, and they would have cut off over 50% on that species.

Also since the main trunk is cut (drop crotched) what will happen is the closest branch (or 2 in the LH tree) will assume apical dominance. So you'll see the branch slowly turn upwards and be the new leader.

Gonna be interesting watching these over the years.

Ekka said:
They dont sprout, and they would have cut off over 50% on that species.

Also since the main trunk is cut (drop crotched) what will happen is the closest branch (or 2 in the LH tree) will assume apical dominance. So you'll see the branch slowly turn upwards and be the new leader.

Gonna be interesting watching these over the years.

Trees sure do interesting things to survive - sometimes almost seems like they're intelligent.

Well, so far I've gotten 5 good posts on this thread. Looks like you're right again Ekka. lol

Heres 1 that i did back at the beginning of the year.Only was paid to trim the side that was over homeowners property.The other side is High Line Utility ROW.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Good one.

I think on the first set you did OK just lifting over the top of the roof ... it's a lot harsher when they say nothing over the roof.

The bottom was a good lift and thin on the bottom section, should let in a lot more light.

12edneck, he aint shy.

12edneck - Thanks, nice photos!

Are those both oaks? What species?
Is the trunk as crazy as it looks on #1. Looks like a lot of overhang. Any chance of it coming down in a storm? Keep in mind, I'm no expert, just trying to learn. 2nd one look great.

On my website, I use to put some before and after photos of landscapes, but not of trees. Even with good pruning, I often felt that the after photos did not look as good, since many trees are fuller and greener before pruning.

Especially for the correction of some neglected trees.

The walnut restoration pair of images below was a couple I saved...

M.D. Vaden said:
On my website, I use to put some before and after photos of landscapes, but not of trees. Even with good pruning, I often felt that the after photos did not look as good, since many trees are fuller and greener before pruning.

Especially for the correction of some neglected trees.

The walnut restoration pair of images below was a couple I saved...

Good work on the walnut:rock:

Trev

Mario

Great pics.

The first 2 pics, I never seen a walnut tree but is that one OK? Like do they grow that sort of spindly?

Also, it's a tiny yard, is that tree going to out grow it's spot?

And the 2nd tree looked much better after the shack was removed.

You're right, good pruning pics are hard to take.

Come on Trev, what ya got down in Victoria, some fancy trees for sure. People love their trees down south.

M.D. Vaden said:

Thanks M.D. Nice job on both trees! Is that an English walnut? Bark doesn't look coarse like black walnut.

Yes, they look a little bare immediately afterward, but they look a whole lot better than the hatracking in my neighborhood. And they'll look a lot nicer in the long run.

Don't be shy Trev!

Back