Before bed, 066-660 thread.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woke up this Saturday am, beautifull sunrise. Good news my dog's biopsy came back, and the tumor she has is not cancer:msp_thumbup:And I got the 660 back safe, and sound in my shed, all is good:angel::angel:Im happy.

Woke up this Saturday am, beautifull sunrise. Good news my dog's biopsy came back, and the tumor she has is not cancer:msp_thumbup:And I got the 660 back safe, and sound in my shed, all is good:angel::angel:Im happy.

Great news about your dog Norm! :clap: Here`s a little something I call Uncle Normzi`s bedtime prayer:

Now I lay me down to sleep
My Stihl 660 at my feet
If that saw should fire before I wake
I pray the Lord will set the brake!

Have a GREAT DAY! :cheers:

A good customer of mine needed a stump saw to replace his dead 288xp.
He asked for a for good used saw for about 500$, I built him this one out several boxes of parts
and some new parts too.
It's a 064/066 Hybrid but half the parts are 066 Parts
New 066 OEM Top, split cases new bearings, gaskets and seals
New WJ-39 Carb
Duel Port Muffler, 32" Windsor Speed Tip Bar, Full skip chain
He runs his saws wearing gloves so we used the big D ring starter handle.

215012_10150742000870093_640660092_20088690_4754215_n.jpg

283992_10150741999245093_640660092_20088669_2889189_n.jpg

Very nice! A completly custom saw, I like it! As for the 288 also sorry for the dear loss. Look's like he will be happy now though!

Indeed Cheeves, one of the best saw's built. Incredible first one I had had a tree on it a time or two. Got it used that way, and ran it for along time. Durable, powerfull, and lasted. If I ran across a mag2 today I would snag it. That's the trouble though guy's wont part with em LOL!

056's in Brazil?

Indeed Cheeves, one of the best saw's built. Incredible first one I had had a tree on it a time or two. Got it used that way, and ran it for along time. Durable, powerfull, and lasted. If I ran across a mag2 today I would snag it. That's the trouble though guy's wont part with em LOL![/QU

You know NORMZILLA44 I heard awhile back that Stihl was making 056's in Brazil. If so I would probably buy one. I think I'll try and find out. Problem around here though is that there are no real reputable Stihl dealers in the area. I had to buy my 310 at a rental shop. Maybe online I could find out. Would love to run one again! Just an animal of a saw. Miss Em!!

Cheevas, funny you mentioned that. I have heard of a 660 jungle saw, at first I thought WTF? Been awhile looked it up, there was a real thing. That would be real interesting to find out what you mentioned, about the 56 in Brazil. Keep me posted. What brand of saw, or dealer is in your'e area? Norm..........

056 legend from Brazil?

Cheevas, funny you mentioned that. I have heard of a 660 jungle saw, at first I thought WTF? Been awhile looked it up, there was a real thing. That would be real interesting to find out what you mentioned, about the 56 in Brazil. Keep me posted. What brand of saw, or dealer is in your'e area? Norm..........

Norm, I'm in a funny area now for chainsaws. I'm 45 miles south of Boston and 15 miles from the Cape Cod Canal. In the seventies you could get a deal and good service on a good quality saw Stihl, Husky, Jred, but now forget it. We have a business that took over an old Agway that carries Husky's and Echo's and charges $85 an hr. for service on saws. Needless to say one cannot get a deal from them. When I got a settlement awhile back from a car accident I went to them trying to get a deal on a discontinued 670 Echo. They wouldn't take a lousy $20 bucks off!! Then the other shop in Duxbury( $ town) wants $35 up front for "service charge" before they'll even look at your saw. They sell Husky's and Stihl's. I bought my 55 husky off them in '99 for $300, which was a good deal but those days are over. What happened was when the economy was going strong these businesses got real cocky and spoiled to the bone. Because it's in the toilet now and has been for awhile they are starting to give a little, but I still stay away from them.

I have a friend who's a certified small engine mechanic and my father , who worked for American Airlines for 27 years, but Pop's getting old and George is still learning about chainsaws. So plan is to build a shed big enough for a shop and learn on my own. Am motivated now and have great people like yourself to help me along. Reason why I've turned to internet for parts( Bailey's, Scott at Chainsawr. Com and some other's). Last saw I bought was an Efco 156 from Pat's Small Engine. Next saw was a brand new 6401 Makita from HD rental dept. (chain was on backwards so salesman said it didn't run right!) I'm serious!! So I would have no qualms about buying a 056 Stihl from Brazil! What do you think Norm? The new ones have gone thru the roof. What else are we going to do?

Yeah if you could find a 056 especially the magnum 2, I would get it. Of course I am a 660 man as well. I also hvae love for the huskie's, and a few Dolmar's. Well any good quality saw really. Just Stihl, husky,Echo are what I own and my personal favorite's. I have a few vintage Homelite's. It's too bad about the area where you are, for saw shop's. You have a great idea what you guy's are planning. I do alot myself, and I am really spoile'd, because I have two now good friend's who I befriended at there saw shop. A local father, and son shop. In fact with this being a tough month for bill's, and unexpected stuff at the vet with Jude, my dog I am flat broke. But couldn't fix my 660 on my own, and we all three put our head's together, and they fixe'd it. Put alot of hour's in it, and ate most of the labor. The new carb was 123 dollar's, and the total bill 200. I walke'd out woith my saw, and they alway's take me at my word, and let me pay when I can. I brought my 2101 in there, and looke'd up with them the new O-ring's neede'd for the manual oil plunger. I was on my way to cut, and neede'd to fix it. They gave me the part's, and let me use there shop, and tool's no charge. Wish there was more people, and shop's like them.

Here is my 066 with a 36" bar and 3/8" .050 RSC chain. Some of you have probably seen it before at a GTG before I owned it? It is Brent Combs woods ported with updated long poly flywheel crankcase, but with square back non functioning red light flat top covers with a unlimited coil, HD filter, & OEM DP muffler cover. Has the the big 460 rescue starter handle and the no De-Comp cylinder, regular clutch cover, and small tank.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I also have a MS660 with a 32" bar

w8ye nice! Both saw's bad aas! Mean machine's. I have one the 660. If I had the dough I would get another 66, and one more 2101, well atleast one 288. LOL! But wanting, or owning more than one 66-660 is normal. Tall cotton man!

NO DOUBT GOTA LOVE EM My 660 to me is the BIGDOG DADDY i treat her like my kid when i am done cutting i always wipe er down blow all the dust put hell i even waxed it before.....:laugh:

Speaking of 660's, I am looking at buying one. I went to the Stihl dealer today, he is selling them for $1,110 with a 20" bar, and $10 increments for every bar size larger. Trying to figure out if this is a good price or if can haggle him down some more?

Last edited:
Speaking of 660's, I am looking at buying one. I went to the Stihl dealer today, he is selling them for $1,110 with a 20" bar, and $10 increments for every bar size larger. Trying to figure out if this is a good price or if can haggle him down some more?

For us east of the Rockies that's list price, on bigger saws I usually
stick to list price, but throw in 3 free chains. And figure if you get a 25"
or bigger bar that's a decent chunk of change in chains.

We don't make 300$ on a 660, like guys think we do.

Latest posts

Back