Before the 346xp or the ps5100s or ms 260?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL I kinda lump the 026 and the 260 together but perhaps he doesn't. The 026 is of course my all time fav 50cc saw just thought he was looking for older ones. :givebeer:

The best 50cc saw before the NE346 was the OE346. Says quite much about the husky dominance in the 50cc market. The best limbing saw of all times could be the 242XP.

attachment.php

best limbing saw, 254xp, i cant believe people rate the 026 ms260 so highly its pants, real work use its not a patch on the huskies, new or old, yes its a good firewood saw slow and smooth and i use one occasionally, but seriously? as a limbing saw? please :confused:

Dolmar 111i or 115i...... Easy to start, lightweight, handled excellent, solid saw that was introduced way back in 1986 and had a 20 year sales history with many happy users. Would wear trolls fav .325" or the more durable 3/8" bar and chain combos from 15"-20" and had torque enough to handle it.

Scott

Would a 254XP qualify? Haven't ever run one but the specs sure look promising.

Edit: Oops, charlieh beat me to the punch!

Scott

Dolmar 111i or 115i...... Easy to start, lightweight, handled excellent, solid saw that was introduced way back in 1986 and had a 20 year sales history with many happy users. Would wear trolls fav .325" or the more durable 3/8" bar and chain combos from 15"-20" and had torque enough to handle it.

Scott

You got that right! They're even tougher modded;)

best limbing saw, 254xp, i cant believe people rate the 026 ms260 so highly its pants, real work use its not a patch on the huskies, new or old, yes its a good firewood saw slow and smooth and i use one occasionally, but seriously? as a limbing saw? please :confused:

I think I got the gist of what you're saying. Though I guess that one part is UK-speak.:laugh: So what criteria are we using to determine the best "older" limbing saws...best handling, faster-revving or both?

I'm not familiar with these. Care to expound?

It is the saw before the 5100. Very well built, the 111i and the 115i have tilly injector carbs so there is no choke butterfly. The 115 is a closed port mahle cylinder @ 52cc. Get the double ring NOS OEM piston if you can.
Air filtration sucks but boy do they run.

I got a couple of 111 and 115 carcasses layin around. They are my favorite saw.

Scott

I'm with Scott, the 115i is a brilliant little saw, and was still current production in Germany until recently (maybe still is ?)

A good mate has had one of these since the eighties that he's used in his business as a fencing contractor, it still goes hard, and it's telling that when he lent me a saw a few years back, it wasn't one of his Dolmars, it was his old 032AVE. ;) (which is near new, it's had very little work)

Last edited:
I know what your asking, these others they forget, but the 500/5000 Partners and there kin would have to be considered at or near the top in there day.

Mark, I agree completely. The Partner 500/5000 and Jonsered 490 were the 50cc saws to beat. Jonsered has had a higher performing 50cc saw since the introduction of the 490. After the 490 was the 2051 and then the 2055. Now we have the 2153. I don't think any other brand can make that claim.

I still think a 490 and 2051 will hold it's own against any of today's saws.

Back