Believe i'm getting the shaft...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4American

Got Sawdust?
Reaction score
My boss at the farm got an order in for a cord of wood from some guy, so he asked me if I wanted to cut it for him, I said sure, assuming that I would be getting paid my normal hourly wage. When I got there today to start cutting and splitting, he said, well Doug, this is your gig, you're in charge of getting this done and he's going to pay you, you can use the log splitter and pick out wood from the pile over here. So instead of asking more about it like I should have, (mainly from being hungover as all heck from my main job's christmas party the night before) I just shook my head and got started. Spent a bit of time getting the John Deere 1010 running, my 045 didn't wanna cut wood, the 450b blew a head gasket awhile back so I couldn't easily get logs out from the pile which is pretty good size, mostly all 25" and up logs..so now I'm in knee deep I gotta finish the job, but I'm only getting 110 bucks for this job! bossman says that he charges $110 bucks if they pick it up or $220 delivered and stacked. I get paid normally 12/hr and today I put in 5 hours and proberly only got about a quarter cord of wood split due to me moving slow being hungover, trouble getting the log splitter working, having a hard time getting the logs out of the pile to the splitting area...all in the rain which kinda wasn't the best...oh and i got dog scat on my new av gloves and my hookaroon and chainsaw handles and on everything i touched from picking up a log that had it on it without me knowing, at least the rain was good for helping keep the smell down a bit

Last edited:
The upside is that you probably won't make the same mistakes twice. ;o)

You're getting $110 to block and split 1 cord of wood ? Umm your being seriously overpaid. $60 would actually be a very fair price and 4 hours would be absolute max it should take. You're getting $55 to block it and $55 to split it, I'll take that deal any day. You must have had a great x-mas party !!

You're getting $110 to block and split 1 cord of wood ? Umm your being seriously overpaid. $60 would actually be a very fair price and 4 hours would be absolute max it should take. You're getting $55 to block it and $55 to split it, I'll take that deal any day. You must have had a great x-mas party !!

you must not cut alot of wood.

While one way to think about it; it is a good way to get rid of a hungover :msp_wink:

You're not getting the shaft...you're getting educated. Education is expensive but it's worth it. Not real fun sometimes, but worth it.

If you pull the same bone-head move again you might be getting the shaft. But that one will be on you.

And nobody ever died from getting dog#### on their hands. Just don't bite your fingernails.

Equipment failure is one thing but you only have yourself to blame for your hangover. 5 hours in so far and you only have 1/4 of the work done? Thats 20 hours a cord. At that rate, you should just be glad anyone is willing to keep you around. Man up and bust the job out the right way tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back