Benefits to adding a dual port or bark box muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob066

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 461. It is all stock. Is there any benefit to adding a dual port or bark box muffler. Is it down to cool factor that it sounds cool by loudness or a true performance enhancer!

They are very loud. According to Treemonkey they decrease torque vs opening up the existing outlet.

My stepson keeps wanting to put one of theses bark boxes on his 046. His 046 already has the stock large port and a stock dual port cover as well. I told him forget the bark box and just tune properly what he has.

My 10mm pin 044 (1993) has a stock large port exhaust and no dual port and runs like a champ without any extra holes in the muffler. ;)

Gary

Can run noticably strenger witj a larger port on 044 I like Single ports

Most of my work saws under 90cc have single large or enlarged factory outlets. It doesn't work well on everything but I've notice two things constantly with side outlets vs front outlets. The forward front outlet is always noticeablely much louder with a higher pitched exhaust note and one I personally don't like. The larger saws near 80cc seem to need a dual outlet once other things like port work have been done. They also use more fuel compared to the single outlet mufflers I do. As of this past year most people wanted side or top outlets highly modified for bucking saws in the 50 to 67cc range and the dual side or top outlet mufflers no doubt have more grunt imo. The front cover exit on the bigger saws seems to work as well as any side or top outlet duel port configurations with added noise. Pete's Echo a 7310 here now got the top outlet reworked and a side outlet over the chain added on. My goal was to add flow but not a ton of noise on the operators side or in the front although this particular saws has Gordies three point west coast dogs on it with plenty of room up there in the front. It lives at a large log pile nothing more at all is done with it. No felling limbing or stumps will ever be cut so it needs to push chip away from the operator and the noise is tolerable with earmuffs. My front exit 90 plus cc saws are not. You need plugs and muffs or you will wish you did at the days end when milling.

I think my new 500 I is pretty damn loud stock.
Got one fresh new just broke in 500I coming from a local that's about to get lighter and louder, again. He already added the noise maker front cover so it's not my decision but we might revisit the stock cover and another side outlet. It's being built to carry the 28 or swap out to the 36 when needed. Fast won't be part of this package and loud isn't my decision here. If it were me the front cover would be gone. Triple outlets shouldn't be needed here.

I have a Stihl 461. It is all stock. Is there any benefit to adding a dual port or bark box muffler. Is it down to cool factor that it sounds cool by loudness or a true performance enhancer!
OP you will get an advantage by letting out more exhaust gasses faster.

The simple answer you may be seeking here :cool:

Do it if it suits your needs. Those are just simple effective bolt-on parts.

Dont have a dyno but my butometer says single ports run better not that a dual port doesnt have gains over stock.
Heres my 44 with factory port enlarged and reworked still retains spark screen
20221216_184815.jpg

372 same deal 1 port has spark screen
20221217_205711.jpg

Back