Bennies of cutting wood!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got the report from my annual physical:

"The recent blood tests you had showed that your blood count was normal, you do not have an anemia, your kidney and liver are functioning normally. Your Cholestorol results are excellent. Your PSA prostate was also normal."

Pissed off the wife again. She is semi invalid with more problems than you can shake a stick at. Every time I get a physical and asks what the doc said "he said I am like an 18 YOA".

I am really 73 and figure that it is all the fun I have in the wooding that keeps me going.

Harry K

For some of us it's because all that alcohol kills off the bad bacteria in your body, thus making you healthier. :cheers: :cheers:

Well Harry,

That's a real good report you have there. Lucky for you that you didn't inherit the stuff from my family line.
Me....heart attack at age 37.
High Blood pressure
High cholesterol

I'm 49 YO now and am the 3rd male in my family tree that has lived longer than 44 years old. Medication works wonders to help reduce the problems of inherited health diseases.

that is good i just had a heart attack last week got home friday cant do much for a couple weeks and i am 51 and love to cut wood. got 3 stents
put in sent me home told me i can goto work monday 10lb weight restriction
till the 28th
larry

My inspiration and hero was a man named Lou Newton.He and his wife came up with the idea for the Alcan highway during WWII.Spent the whole war up there and had the greatest pictures you ever saw.He retired on an 80 acre piece next to us and taught me all about felling trees and firewood.I was 15 and he was 89 the last time we cut together.He had a fire in his fireplace at least 300 days a year.You are a relative young pup...keep it up!

Awesome news Harry!!

Dennis - Wow, that is a tough deal. I have always had high cholesterol but my BP and other things have always been good.

I finally found a medication that works for my cholesterol, the industrial strength Vytorin 10/80. That along with a high protein/low carbohydrate diet finally got it to drop like a rock.

I'm 42 and have no clue what a dr. would say.

If I did go it would probably be something like "Well this cant be right you are over weight but no cholesterol, heart rate is not elevated, no high blood pressure and the lab shows nothing out of the ordinary. Oh I see, your not married, that explains it. Come back and see me after that changes."

Me - " Thanks doc , but if that changes the next dr I'll be seeing is a shrink to figure out what happened."

Harry, regardless of your age I hope the 2 of you stay young and happy together for many more years. Stay sharp and keep it out of the dirt.

My wife and I have been sick as dogs this weekend, it started Friday night. Dizzy as heck and stuff - manual labor was out of the question, taking care of our 8 month old was a major chore. So we used up the rest of our wood inside and used the gas furnace all Sat. and until about an hour ago today.

You know what? I felt a little better today and the manual labor of hauling wood in cleared alot of cobwebs. Not 100% better, but breathing a little easier. The old addage about physical labor being good for you is true. I feel a lot better, my wife is doing some basic stuff around the house and feeling a lil better. So yeah, if you keep decent physical labor going you will feel better. It is as much mental as physical IMHO.

Also, using the gas furnace all Sat. reminds me of why I heat with wood. Gas heat just plain old sucks. No warm basement, no warm flooring, just ambient temp of 68F and still feel cold. Right now the basement is warming up and the 1st floor is upto 70F under wood... Mmmmm cozy!

Tes

I agree with you Harry (well maybe not about the alcohol part LOL) but the physical labor of "doing wood" is a good workout and I prefer it too a gym membership any day. My last physical (I'm 53) was excellent too 120/80 BP all the right trigs and Good /Bad colesterol etc...etc...Could stand too drop some weight for sure but all in all was pleased. They did schedule me for a colonoscopy though :dizzy: just because you should have a check up after 50. I've been putting that one off now for 2 months but need to bite the bullet and do it.:cheers:

Back