Excercise for excercise's sake?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone else do the 'torture' in the off season? I never did before as I hated excercising. Broke down this year and am on a walking program. Doc says 2 miles/day.

Last winter I sat on the old fundament and packed on the pounds ending with 242 by spring. Worked that down to 234 (last week at annual physical) but dropped 4 notches in teh old belt due to working hard at 'wooding' all summer. Doc says it was mostly conversion of fat to muscle.

Decided to bit the bullet and get with teh program this winter. I am up to the 2 miles at a bit better than 3mph rate. Feel some better but I still don't like it and -really- hate having to crawl on the treadmill when the weather is bad.

Harry K

Good for you, good health is worth alot. I seem to be to exhausted by the end of the day and that seems to be all year long. We always joke about hitting the gym, but seem to have a beer instead.

I hate walking running bikeing ect its jus no fun for me to do any exercise that you are more or less alone when you do it. if you go into any gym and look at the people doing this type of thing,they look just like I feel when I do it-just putting their time in. However if you notice the people working out with weights they are happy jokeing around having a much better time. The reason for this is not just the companionship, its also because of how your body reacts to this type of stress verses burning yourself out on a treadmill.

I could talk for days on this subject but in short my advice would be get a friend or your spouse whoever, join a gym and learn to enjoy it-It can be alot of fun.

It's a fate worse than death imo but it depends how you're doing it.Walking on a treadmill is dull whereas walking through the woods is great.I use the treadmill,weights,mountain bike etc as much as I can but not for enjoyment-it's a means to an end.It helps tremendously with my off road motorcycle riding-but that doesn't mean I enjoy doing it-it does make you feel better afterwards though.

maybe we should start a "biggest loser" contest here, I think everyone likes a challenge, :givebeer: a lite beer I mean lol

maybe we should start a "biggest loser" contest here, I think everyone likes a challenge, :givebeer: a lite beer I mean lol

Nope, cuz guys have an easier time. We have a newly opened espresso, hotdogs, ice cream place that also has a small gym with equipment in the other room. If I haven't had a busy walking day in the woods, I'll take the old dog out and hike the trails around here. I try to get out the saw and use it several times a week, doing works of good like, brushing out roads or cutting blowdown out, and that keeps the arms in shape. I think next year will be a good one to lose inches, one logging outfit might use two yarders and that ground is nasty. I've noticed quite an improvement in lung and leg power from working with one yarder side on that hill of doom. I have seen a couple of guys lose their bellies after they'd been working in the woods a couple of months... I told one logger who has no job to move to, he needed to find a nice spot, set up the yarder, and have a Man Camp. He should have guys pay him to set chokers and run saws (under the guidance of a kind hooktender or two) so they could get fit and also cuss and spit whenever. You don't see fat guys working in the brush.

I walk at least 2 miles/day during winter on old trail,sometimes with snoeshoes to pack the trail.I like it because i see many deers almost each day.I'm not fat ,but it helps at springtime to be less "stiff" and be better for work.

Last edited:
Nope, cuz guys have an easier time. We have a newly opened espresso, hotdogs, ice cream place that also has a small gym with equipment in the other room. If I haven't had a busy walking day in the woods, I'll take the old dog out and hike the trails around here. I try to get out the saw and use it several times a week, doing works of good like, brushing out roads or cutting blowdown out, and that keeps the arms in shape. I think next year will be a good one to lose inches, one logging outfit might use two yarders and that ground is nasty. I've noticed quite an improvement in lung and leg power from working with one yarder side on that hill of doom. I have seen a couple of guys lose their bellies after they'd been working in the woods a couple of months... I told one logger who has no job to move to, he needed to find a nice spot, set up the yarder, and have a Man Camp. He should have guys pay him to set chokers and run saws (under the guidance of a kind hooktender or two) so they could get fit and also cuss and spit whenever. You don't see fat guys working in the brush.

IF YOUR SCARED - SAY YOUR SCARED !!:cry:

It is really important to me & my business to stay fit. My wife and I have been taking the dog for a run around the pond every day this week. It only takes 14 minutes, it's so easy. In the winter we are out for a ski or snowshoe every day. Gym or indoor work out, no way!

You don't see fat guys working in the brush.

that is the truth.

take climbing. i can swing 5- 15 lbs one way or the other depending on my food intake. if i skip lunch all week by friday i am underweight. if i eat like a horse i'll maintain or add a couple.

last week i was 226. this week 236. (my highest weight this summer was 242) i have noticed too, that if i am not vigilant with the water that'll suck weight as well. hydration is key.

if you want to really lose the weight climb but dont eat. you'll be slender in no time.

oldirty

Last week I rode my mountain 89 miles, I lift weights also. If the weather gets too bad I will use a StairMaster.
My biggest problem is slow metabolism and poor eating habits.
I must say the hardest part is just leaving the house - I like it when I am exersing - and afterwards it's worth the hassle of leaving the house.

I had to have a dye test done on my heart a couple of months ago(turned out perfect, false positive on the stress test).

On the pre-test the nurse checked me over and asked me which Gym I went to.

I laughed as working out at the wood lot and walking the dogs is the only exercise that I ever get.

I hate exercise. If you are going to put in a effort you might as well pull a stump, dig a ditch, till a garden and accomplish something at the same time.

I ride bikes - running is so dull as the scenery moves too slowly. As for the gym....bleurgh.

This year I entered the "Etape du Tour" - it is a stage of the Tour de France, in the mountains - 120 miles and 14,000 feet of climbing. I managed to do it in 9 hours - but this meant pretty serious training - 200 - 300 miles a week on the bike.

Strangely enough, cutting wood was excellent cross training and very good for weight loss. I'd ride 140 miles to a friend's farm, sleep like the dead that night, cut wood with him the next day, sleep like the dead again, then ride home again.

This is me training in Spain in June this year:

Picture%20100.JPG

turnkey4099 said:
Worked that down to 234 (last week at annual physical) but dropped 4 notches in the old belt due to working hard at 'wooding' all summer.

Good work!

Tree Sling'r said:
My biggest problem is slow metabolism and poor eating habits.

Most of the cutters I work with have really bad eating habits. Earlier this year I worked on a straight falling job for a tower and processor and the cutters there would drink almost a full thermos of coffee before hitting the brush. Coffee for breakfast is about the worst way to start your day.

I hate exercise. If you are going to put in a effort you might as well pull a stump, dig a ditch, till a garden and accomplish something at the same time.

+1 !!

I have always hated exercise for the sake of exercising - it's just damn painful drudgery to me. Gimme a saw, shovel or hammer - something to be productive and I can go and go (although not as long as I used to, LOL).

Earlier in the year I was at 218 lbs. and walking for over an hour each day had little to no effect on my weight, Just by changing my eating habits I have lost over 20 lbs. even though I have stopped walking.

I saw a couple things mentioned that fit me.

Big problem is 'getting out there'. Once I am out of the house and on the way, it is rather...well, fun ain't the right word, but it isn't bad. I am too prone to making excuses to not do it. "I was out yesterday and it is a bit cold today"..."the widn is blowing"...etc.

Someone mentioned that one feels good. I don't at the start but feel better when I get into it and a 'lot' better after finishing and cooling down. I noticed yesterday that I was donw to normal heart rate in only a few minutes after returning as opposed to being really beat for a long time when I first started.

Harry K

LarryTheCableGuy said:
Just by changing my eating habits I have lost over 20 lbs. even though I have stopped walking.

Diet is the biggest part of it. A lot of modern processed foods contain high amounts of chemical additives, that usually don't add to the overall caloric content of the food itself, but they do play a role in changing your metabolism. So at a point where you're trying to lose fat and build muscle, cutting back on or cutting out processed white flour, sugar, caffeine, hydrogenated fats, and the various forms of sugar related additives (i.e. high fructose syrup) will help greatly.

I know it's dumb and I know I'm an idiot but I'm also a light smoker.I'm working on it as it really affects my riding and of course,everything else but intense migraines are the problem.Anyway,an overweight friend of mine(whose wife is a fitness instructor-hee,hee)has challenged me to a 10K Terry Fox charity run this spring.Soooo,it's the fat guy vs. the smoker.Personally,I think it's a scam by both wives to give us both heart attacks and make out like bandits with the life insurance money.:jawdrop:

Keep on Truckin

Been excersizing on a regular(3-5 days a week) basis for 30 years, and have the knees and (on occasion sore back) to prove it :buttkick: .

This body has endured:
6 years of running 4-7 miles a day, 5 days a week
10 years of swimming laps, 1-2 miles per day, 3 days a week
3 years of distance walking/hiking at a fast clip
6 years of stationary cycling, 40 minutes 12-15 miles per day, 3-5 days a week
5 years of weights and resistance training.

Kidding aside...It's soooo much a part of my weekly routine, and it gives me the energy/strength I need to keep hoisting the ladders and that ms660:)

mark

Latest posts

Back