best 36" milling bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy Tom

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just about ready to get my freebie up and running and need to get a 36" bar for milling. The saw is a 3120xp and will be used exclusively for milling. What are the best options? I've been trying to find a 3/8 050 gauge bar so I can use the same chain as the rest of my bars, but they seem nearly impossible to find. So, it looks like 063 for me. Any suggestions on which to get and where to get them for a reasonable price would be appreciated.

CT

check baileys out online they now carry GB Bars I have a titanium "orange" bar for my main milling bar and so far it seem to be holding up very well and the price is pretty good too I am running a 36" 3/8ths chain .50 gauge on my 395xp (one step down from the 3120) that saw is a monster!!! Check them out My chain is GB milling chain also not sure if baileys has that but I am pretty sure they carry milling chain that is 3/8ths .50 hope it helps irishcountry

check baileys out online they now carry GB Bars I have a titanium "orange" bar for my main milling bar and so far it seem to be holding up very well and the price is pretty good too I am running a 36" 3/8ths chain .50 gauge on my 395xp (one step down from the 3120) that saw is a monster!!! Check them out My chain is GB milling chain also not sure if baileys has that but I am pretty sure they carry milling chain that is 3/8ths .50 hope it helps irishcountry

+1

One more thing once you mill if you haven't already I will forwarn you you will be hooked despite being knee deep in sawdust and exhaust its very rewarding!! Have fun!!:clap:

I just started this too.

I'm using the Husky bar that came with my saw (395xp) w/36" .063 bar. No problems so far. The Husky bar is probably just a paint job on an an oregon bar or something like that but I don't know that for sure.

I opted for the .063 chain because I intend to use this mostly to slab logs into cants and break down large logs for my Ripsaw to cut into boards. I thought that the heavier chain might be better...safety-wise.

I have ordered from Bailey's a few times now and have always been satisified.

Oh yeah, it is FUN!

Need a Bigger bar!! who dosn't

Guys

What options for a bigger bar than 36" are there in oz, can I get a bar that suits my 090 as well as my 3120. looking at something like 48-56"?

What sort of dollars?

oden

Any body else? How about Oregon Power Match or Sandvik? Are Cannon's more expensive than the others?

Tom, I just got a .063 20" bar to start using 063 on all the bars. I couldn't find a 42" bar that ran 063 chain, and I've milled a few crotches on it that wouldn't fit with a 32" bar, which is my midsize, so 063 was the only option. I also felt like the .063 would stretch a little less, and hold up better. I tried LP chain on a big bar, and on a 20" bar with a 394XP, and all I can say is, don't use it on a big saw. Exercise in frustration! (pulled apart drive links at least 5 times--I'm a stubborn @$$ sometimes. I'm using power match bars for both the 32 &42" bars, and carlton (GB) for the 20". (and GB/carlton chain--I'm under the impression that they're the same, but not 100%). I'm on my second tip with the 32" bar, and the rails still have some life in them, so it'll last as long as the three relatively new chains I have left in .050, then I'll switch to another bar .063. I've bought several partial reels off ebay for cheap & made all my chains that I'm using now. I've wanted to try out the GB orange titanium. I only have good things to say about the Oregon bars, and I'm pretty sure that Stihl & Husqvarna are both using oregon bars as OEM parts now. That said, I've only ever heard great things about GB bars, and the Carlton/GB hardnose 20" that I have is still in pretty good shape after a lot of firewood cutting in dirt & grit. I know some people do it, but milling with a roller nose is a lot smoother, IME. I did have a Sandvik 42" hardnose, but it just took too much power away from the saw, I felt. Good bar, but the power match is better suited to what I wanted to do with it.

As far as price, I've gotten everything at Bailey's except for chain, which I found on Ebay for a little cheaper only because they were partial reels and nobody bid on them. Bailey's has the best prices that I've seen on everything.

As for bars that fit multiple saws, I think that the large mount stihl bars have a considerably larger opening than huskys. Bailey's sells an adapter plate that goes in the space that will allow for using a large mount Stihl bar on a husky, but not the other way around.

Cannon bars (also sold by Baileys as Woodsman Pro) are expensive, but supposedly the best around, hands down. A big one will cost you $$$$$. 50" bars are around U.S. $300. 60" ones are 370! I guess big toys are big $$. I don't need anything bigger than 42 myself.

Back