Best 60 cc saw for porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've run some very impressive ported 261s and 346s, but they won't run with a ported 562 or 362. It is a matter of what size saw U R looking for. Some people want less wt, I choose more power. The saw U prefer will depend on your personality, your build, and what you need to cut. It is a personal preference.

It is like the old car debate about whether U prefer a big block or a small block. Properly built, and driven, they can both get it done. In the days when stick shifts ruled and we had never heard of launch control, there were a lot of people with nice cars who could not drive them.

Get a good saw that feels comfortable to U and keep UR chain sharp and U will do just fine.

I think the nickname of the 562xp is the Stihl killer? It is one the smoothest saws I every ran ! Plus it is ported by one of the best mastermind! Its a very strong and smooth saw.
Chris

So, are you saying a 30% increase in cutting speed can be done with less than a 30% increase in power given all other variables remain the same?

You don't need 30% more power to cut 30% faster..

A chain will give you a lot.. Run a dull chain on a ported saw. Run a sharp filed chain on a stock saw.. 30% faster on the stock saw with less power. To many variables.

Like Nmurph asked if all the variables were the same. Not different.
So we will say hypothetical if all variables are the same does it take a 30% increase in HP to cut 30% faster?

You don't need 30% more power to cut 30% faster..

A chain will give you a lot.. Run a dull chain on a ported saw. Run a sharp filed chain on a stock saw.. 30% faster on the stock saw with less power. To many variables.

Not what I said...

If there are too many variable, then 888's statement can't be proven either.

Like Nmurph asked if all the variables were the same. Not different.
So we will say hypothetical if all variables are the same does it take a 30% increase in HP to cut 30% faster?

Exactly.

Actually, there are a lot of variables. Say for example you don't increase Hp at all, but you extend max Hp by 1,000 RPMs, you will cut faster.

So the short answer is no, it does not necessarily take a 30% increase in power to cut 30% faster, and I think if U study the dyno info, you will agree.

That said, a ported saw will provide a real improvement in cut speed.

Reindeer's point was that, with all else being held constant, his cut speeds increased by 30% by doing nothing more than removing the baffle from the muffler. He has posted the vids of his 261C more than once. Who cares whether the faster speeds are because of higher horsepower or higher revs, the results are what matters.

So, are you saying a 30% increase in cutting speed can be done with less than a 30% increase in power given all other variables remain the same?
Yes absolutely, often what makes a ported saw seem so fast is that its powerband has been elevated producing peak hp at a higher rpm thus increasing cutting speed. Often tradeoffs occur when you do this and its about finding a good balance of compromise.

Yes absolutely, often what makes a ported saw seem so fast is that its powerband has been elevated producing peak hp at a higher rpm thus increasing cutting speed. Often tradeoffs occur when you do this and its about finding a good balance of compromise.
Like fuel consumption:

Putter, Putter
****!!!!! I just filled up!!!! ;)

Totally worth it

And that would be a change of a variable.

You cannot help from increasing the rpm, it is a by product of increasing the power from porting. It may not always change by a great deal but the RPM's will increase.

Here's a thought, which may have already been brought up, but why not a J-red 2166? finished price for one done by TLandrum still comes under the finished price for a 562xp - and you get 10 extra cc's. :)

that's the way I'm going, once my stupid check comes in!

Here's a thought, which may have already been brought up, but why not a J-red 2166? finished price for one done by TLandrum still comes under the finished price for a 562xp - and you get 10 extra cc's. :)

that's the way I'm going, once my stupid check comes in!
The 2266 has 70cc size and weight, just a larger saw than a 562/2260...

That's all fine and good if a person wants a larger saw. I personally like the size, weight & handling of the 562 mo better. But ya can't really go wrong either way...:)

ultimately, I would like to see both modded saws on a dyno. Then, I might be able to make a more informed decision. Even with what will likely be similar max power numbers, the 2166 should have a torque advantage, as well as the cost advantage going for it. If I were working with saws all day, every day, I might also lean more towards the 562 - as weight can make a substantial difference in work effectiveness. but, as I will be

Back