Best be cutting extra.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's hope they're wrong. I don't wanna see another winter like last year. :)

Got plenty of firewood laid in, we've been ahead for a couple years. Will be even more ahead this year... the storm that blew out a bunch of tree tops dropped at least another cord in our laps.

Scored a large post oak today.
One of my tree guys called and gave me an address just 10 miles down the road.
Drove over and pulled up to the curb and they loaded me rite up.
Made 2 trips today, and scored about 2 cords worth.
Gotta love them tree guy's.

I've got plenty of wood, but it won't be as old and dry as I'd like. For the next several years, I'm going on a 2 for 1 plan: for every unit of firewood I burn, I'm cutting two. That way, in a few years, I'll be well ahead.

I've got plenty of wood, but it won't be as old and dry as I'd like. For the next several years, I'm going on a 2 for 1 plan: for every unit of firewood I burn, I'm cutting two. That way, in a few years, I'll be well ahead.

That's what I did after starting to hang out around here. and even a scosh more, just putzin at it. My mixed species/uglies whatever wood stacks would carry me to winter of 2018 now and if I add in my oak, well past 2020. I am thinking move all the primo oak though, cover a few small but important expenses.

Before, just kept that winter ahead..I really REALLY like being multiple years ahead now, just one less thing to worry about.

A good thing about taking mixed species and also cutting down small is, it is so fast to accumulate and stack. When half your wood needs no splitting, it really speeds it up. and when you take mixed species, nothing is a hassle or in the way, slap it in the stacks.

I've been stacking by species for now because want to keep the fast drying stuff from the others. But it is a hassle. I think in the future it will be mixed stacks, possibly with separate stack for my wood burning pizza oven. Cooking with live fire I have to be cognizant of what wood I'm using- don't want something that pops or throws sparks onto the food. Using retained heat, it doesn't really matter.

I've been stacking by species for now because want to keep the fast drying stuff from the others. But it is a hassle. I think in the future it will be mixed stacks, possibly with separate stack for my wood burning pizza oven. Cooking with live fire I have to be cognizant of what wood I'm using- don't want something that pops or throws sparks onto the food. Using retained heat, it doesn't really matter.

For real with a pizza oven I can see keeping the special wood separate.

For our day to day winter heating needs here, it just doesn't matter a whole lot. The smogger is right here in the room, if I have to get up more often to feed it, don't care really. I'll let the heavier and larger pieces sink to the bottom of the indoor pile and use them at night.

Cutting ahead also. Have no clue what I'll burn this next winter. New burner (Blaze King) & 1/2 of March and all of April (24/7); I only burned a half face cord... but, it wasn't bone cold either.
This makes 27 so I suspect it'll be for the winter after next or, the one after that? Dunno. Rather cut extra than risk paying another propane bill like I did last year :(
Image (*if it actually loads via the phone) is yesterday morning's cut...
jumabete.jpg

Cutting ahead also. Have no clue what I'll burn this next winter. New burner (Blaze King) & 1/2 of March and all of April (24/7); I only burned a half face cord... but, it wasn't bone cold either.
This makes 27 so I suspect it'll be for the winter after next or, the one after that? Dunno. Rather cut extra than risk paying another propane bill like I did last year :(
Image (*if it actually loads via the phone) is yesterday morning's cut...

That is seriously funny!

8 yr old white Swamp oak. Only about 28" in diameter now after my prior 5 slices. Good stuff but omg; HEAVY!!!

Man, any oak is heavy. I have cut a lot of them if they fall over after cut from the log, that's it, got to bust them up where they lay, at least into manageable chunks. That's why I always take full compliment of wood bustin gear with me when I go cut big stuff. If they stay upright I can noodle them, but fall over..no standing them back up easy.

The good part about big stuff is, man..one tree, milk it out, you get a lot! A lot of times it will take me a session just to cut all the branches up, then come back the next day or two to hit the trunk wood. Of course I like the trigger time with the little saws, plenty of cutting fun without getting beat on whipped.

I get one log load per year and usually have about a half to a full cord left over and after having a nice supply, last year I went through almost everything and only had less than a third of a cord left, so in April I went and got another log load, so I'm sitting on about 16 cords, enough for 2 years or so and I'll be ordering another load in October.

The more I re-read what I said and then that 1st photo, the more I laughed too... I was envisioning someone (ELSE) using a cutting torch trying to get ahead of next years propane bills <ha> Zogger was dead on regarding the need to noodle them if you are lucky enough where they don’t fall flat... about 50% of the time, they fall flat because of the terrain and I am stuck with the rip or sledge n'wedge ritual. The slices in my SECOND image were noodled into quarter pieces and were barely manageable at that. I am cutting 30 miles away at a friend's house, kindsa doing him a favor to get rid of all the wood laying on his property and, in return I get the wood for nothing (*except the price of gas). Lacking a DOT type trailer (cant use a farm trailer due to the route), I am stuck loading up the back of the pickup and using a 2x6 to "roll" them up into the bed. The fields here are all planted and the woods and swamps near me are too wet to go back with anything besides a wheel barrel and, even then - I have doubts so...until either the crops are picked or, it dries up some, or the eventual freeze; I am stuck scavenging, cutting what i can - where I can. I SHOULD have more than enough already for next winter and perhaps a couple more after that so this wood will be stacked in-wait. I probably have five plus more pickup loads of just the trunk, not counting the limbs. The limbs I have been leaving alone for now except for those that were trying to get in my way. Good stuff. no bugs, no bark, and almost completely bone dry. Wished I knew some loggers or tree trimming folks but, where I reside is a bit rural... Buying precut logs or limbed out road commission takes, delivered would be so-very-cool!!!

The more I re-read what I said and then that 1st photo, the more I laughed too... I was envisioning someone (ELSE) using a cutting torch trying to get ahead of next years propane bills <ha> Zogger was dead on regarding the need to noodle them if you are lucky enough where they don’t fall flat... about 50% of the time, they fall flat because of the terrain and I am stuck with the rip or sledge n'wedge ritual. The slices in my SECOND image were noodled into quarter pieces and were barely manageable at that. I am cutting 30 miles away at a friend's house, kindsa doing him a favor to get rid of all the wood laying on his property and, in return I get the wood for nothing (*except the price of gas). Lacking a DOT type trailer (cant use a farm trailer due to the route), I am stuck loading up the back of the pickup and using a 2x6 to "roll" them up into the bed. The fields here are all planted and the woods and swamps near me are too wet to go back with anything besides a wheel barrel and, even then - I have doubts so...until either the crops are picked or, it dries up some, or the eventual freeze; I am stuck scavenging, cutting what i can - where I can. I SHOULD have more than enough already for next winter and perhaps a couple more after that so this wood will be stacked in-wait. I probably have five plus more pickup loads of just the trunk, not counting the limbs. The limbs I have been leaving alone for now except for those that were trying to get in my way. Good stuff. no bugs, no bark, and almost completely bone dry. Wished I knew some loggers or tree trimming folks but, where I reside is a bit rural... Buying precut logs or limbed out road commission takes, delivered would be so-very-cool!!!

It depends on your location and how bad the cops are in that area and if your willing to take a risk.
The risk. Getting a ticket. Having a wreck with no insurance. Being sued for said wreck and getting a ticket.
Gains free wood.

Simple!~ Borrow a dot trailer and make sure your insurance will cover it.

Some places do allow farm equipment to be used on rural roads with proper placards.

Might be that DOT laws dont effect form equipment the same way as other trailers do.
When I drove a farm truck we were exempt from most DOT rules.
Once they would see my farm tag they would drive off and let me go.

My circumstance; no easy way "there" except via highly patrolled rural highway and then, into the city near the airport. My farm wager will max out at about 30mph... I'd have a mile long line of horn honkers and California finger waves both ways. No problem with the farm eq near my home or this general area; just can't do it near "the metropolis. "

Back