Best be cutting extra.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My circumstance; no easy way "there" except via highly patrolled rural highway and then, into the city near the airport. My farm wager will max out at about 30mph... I'd have a mile long line of horn honkers and California finger waves both ways. No problem with the farm eq near my home or this general area; just can't do it near "the metropolis. "

Get it all noodled up small in advance, rent a big truck for just one day and get it moved? Diesel U haul with a loading ramp? Throw the wheelbarrow in there? Five trips back and forth is tedious and expensive.

You know, thinking about it, need a tool to stand big rounds back up for noodling.

A small steel tripod and tongs? Set it up over the round, tong it up with a comealong or something, noodle down the sides where the tongs aren't?

Engine cherry picker with like riding lawnmower wheels on it to move it around offroad some? Roll it near the round, tong it up.

I tried using my one bar and pivot hook log lifter, not so great.

Let's hear some ideas, guys! This is apparently a not uncommon problem for those of us going out without a mechanized grapple or something else, loader bucket or whatever. Big 400+ lb whatever round flat on the ground, get it standing back up and stabilized to noodle.

I like your thought process on finding a fix for "a common aliment."
Kinda thinking about a winch and some ratcheted'in lag bolts where I could walk the round to where I wanted it. This 400-600# rounds will eat your breakfast in a hurry! Regarding the other ideas; not doable for me. I work 50-60 hrs a week, have 15 kids (*3 kids with their spouses and each set having 3 more kids), got other priorities and, only have Sat mornings free for now.

I quarter up my big rounds and use a regular 2 wheel dolly to move them around.
In fact, it's amazing how many times and uses I have found for the old dolly.
You can stack 3 - 16" long rounds on top of each other and wheel 3 at a time.
If it's heavy green oak I move them 2 at a time and dry 3 at a time.
You can move a pretty big chunk of wood with a simple dolly.
When I dolly a round over to the spliter and lean the dolly back and let it rest on the handles. It raises the wood about a foot off the ground. Making it easier to pick up and onto the spliter.

The dolly is a good idea unfortunately, I'm cutting in/near or around swamp terrain. That being said, I will use that idea for my wood splitter pile! (*tnx!)

I only have about 4 hours available to me each Sat morning "scavenging." I cut and haul all I can and, split a little at a time after the salt mine work throughout the week. Its only been recent where I have a LOT of wood in one place; unfortunately this is 30 miles away. I know this system isn't ideal but it's been working for me. Here is month old photo of what I had cut, part-time, once a week since the 1st of May. Have 3 + more rows now. Sure hope this isn't another camper cribbing photo!!! @v@ :) .
jabyze4u.jpg

Cool idea unfortunately, I am literally walking on limbs embedded in the swamp mud... most of those I'll never get too. Already 1/2 wormbait.

I work 50-60 hrs a week, have 15 kids (*3 kids with their spouses and each set having 3 more kids),

HOLY.... HOLY...... HOLY SH........ HOLY SH !!!!!!!!!!

Keep cutting fellas. Forecast three inches of snow tonight about 150 miles north of me. Yes, the Brooks Range up around Coldfoot, Alaska.

Late July is a couple months early even for those guys.

I almost got burned last winter that ain't going to happen this winter Every firewood seller run out of dry wood they started selling green and it wouldn't burn so they were buying my dry Ash to get it started. My main customer was selling 30 bundles if not more. I had my Kiln going full force and me to.I am happy I got NG heat and a/c were my electric splitter and wrappers at. I am going full blast now to get as much wood split and dried once the wood freezies it takes 2 to 3 times longer to dry. We having some nice cool weather so I am take advantage of it. I hope every body gets enough wood for this winterI put on my snake boots and chaps went on in the wood.Later

Latest posts

Back