Best be cutting extra.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Weather guy of the TV said that the experts are predicting another Polar vortex winter for 2014/15.

I not going to do any extra as what I had last year did just fine in the new furnace.

:D Al

I'll be crying a blue frozen river if it's bad again.
The wood shed has about 7 p/u loads of firewood and I'd like to have at least 25 or more..
I was on a roll this past spring when I realized how how good the fishing was,,I haven't cut any firewood since.
Looks like I better get busy this fall..

I think most of the people on this forum are getting ahead for this winter considering the beating they took last year. What's the farmers almanac saying?

I hope so. I have a new job so I won't be on 5 story roofs all day. Also get to use the hickory and BL that I have been kicking myself for not using last year.

so if they are predicting a rough winter then it will likely be a mild winter. just like they predicted lots of snow in 2011-2012. and 2012-2013. ya that didnt happen. or like they predicted that 2013-2014 was gonna be a mild winter. and they scoffed at the farmers almanac for predicting a cold winter.

so if they are predicting a rough winter then it will likely be a mild winter. just like they predicted lots of snow in 2011-2012. and 2012-2013. ya that didnt happen. or like they predicted that 2013-2014 was gonna be a mild winter. and they scoffed at the farmers almanac for predicting a cold winter.

Long range, besides el nino and la nina or whatever they are called, there are just too many variables for them to do a good job. computer modeling is only as good as the input and interpretation, and long range they are still way off.

Now close range, within a week say, is loads better than the olden days. Biggest blizzard I ever experienced was not predicted at all until right before it started. I mean, zero snow on the ground as I got on the bus, emergency evac at school at around 8:15 am, we just got there and it was already a foot and a half deep and coming down like unreal hard, not all the kids made it home, lot of people stranded on roads, etc. My two younge4st siblings in grade school, stranded at school, they didn't even try to get them out, nothing was moving at all, and not many snowmachines around back then. January 67, lake effect blizzard. 4 feet in one day, then it drifted, right over our two story house. Coupla weeks and change no school. Too much for even the biggest trucks and road graders to deal with it that day. No notice whatsoever, Took everyone by surprise. That wouldn't happen today I don't think, everyone would get at least a couple day notice of impending white doom....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Blizzard_of_1967

Same storm, but on the michigan side of the lake, we got *twice* as much snow. Absolutely the largest snowflakes I ever saw, by 5 times, single flakes as big as your palm! Someplace buried in my junk I have old super 8 movies of it. No notice, weather service found out when everyone else did. That's why so many stranded, etc.

Like some others said, I don't put much stock in their predictions! All I can do is be ready for whatever happens. Lol....

No running out for Uncle this time!

Yeah... yeah... :rolleyes: yeah... we've heard that one before :D

If we have another winter like last... I'm in danger of running out, I'm on the edge. I've got about 7 cord well seasoned oak... but nothing else. Plenty of standing dead elm in the woodlot, and along the road... but it's too friggin' hot, weedy and buggy for cuttiin'. Heck, I ain't even finished splittin' what fell on the shootin' range a couple weeks back. Hopin' for a cool September so I can get started early.

53°f this morning calling for high today of 58°f and low tonight 48°f and calling fora low 41°f tomorrow night. I think this may be the first year I have had to build a fire in the wood stove for heat every month the whole year!

Going to be warmer than that down here on the southern end of the state but still way cool as compared to more recent history. Cheer up there is still time to blister your feet right through your shoes on asphalt yet this season.

No fear!! i got 12 cords 6 more than last year and everything is ready.
im not getting caught with my pants down like last year.

Just working on replacing what was used last season, a little more never hurts. Depending on how much of campfire type wood I pick up might even try to move a bit just for fuel money - actually just to get it out of the way. Got a call yesterday on a big Beech, same place I got one from before, real beastly retrieve from the creek bottom no room & to steep/ slippery to get any larger transport equipment in there. This is the one I motorized the wheelbarrow for a couple summers back. The homeowner remembered that rig and is why he called. He said it is at least 2 ft dia. at the base which is larger than the previous one. He is having a service take it down, and asked for help bucking it up. Works for me.I will try and remember Camera when I get the call that it is down. ( rule #1 pic or it didn't happen)

Latest posts

Back