best book on felling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best "book" is going out and pestering the professionals. :)

Maybe so. As long as the rookies don't start every other sentence with "but in the book it says to....". The books are a good reference and an easy way to pick up some general knowledge.

Unfortunately, the trees don't read the books.

Last edited:
The best "book" is going out and pestering the professionals. :)
and
Because he's been there and done that.
Experience speaks for it self.

Lee

I may be way off base on felling books, but this is one of a handful of subjects that remind me of highschool sex ed.
they can show you all the nice drawings and maybe even a picture, but until you get a little sweaty and get your hands on the subject, you really dont know what your doing.

and

I may be way off base on felling books, but this is one of a handful of subjects that remind me of highschool sex ed.
they can show you all the nice drawings and maybe even a picture, but until you get a little sweaty and get your hands on the subject, you really dont know what your doing.

True, but if you read the book first you'll know which part goes where and have a logical sequence of events. Uh, we're talking about falling here, right?

I had that book by Douglas Dent, I think it was called "Proffesional Falling with Douglas Dent". It was a great book, but I never got to read the whole thing. I took it on a fire assingment, let another guy borrow it while we were on standby, got called on a fire, and never saw my good buddy again. I would like to find it, buy it, and read it front to back.

Have at it: http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=17309&catID=1069

Ron:)

I don't know man... 115 pages and I've just read through the first 15. Based on that, there might be 5-7 pages of good stuff in the 115? Usual AS ratio of good info to **** chat; conversation about weather, hoe to make mash potatoes etc. Plenty of quoted photos with nothing to add under them than a thumbs up. One entire page was taken up by quoted photos so far!

Will crank through the next 100 pages though, because there are some real diamonds in there! Nice input from you by the way :cheers:

You gotta dig around, there is loads of good stuff in between the huckleberry pies and baked salmon. Dive in, ask questions, we won't call you a ####ing idiot, atleast not right away.
There are people who post there, who are actively falling timber, East, West and the entire mid section. The broad range of posters keeps things moving. I keep myself amused in the middle of the night, rambling on about crap that no longer applies.

You gotta dig around, there is loads of good stuff in between the huckleberry pies and baked salmon. Dive in, ask questions, we won't call you a ####ing idiot, atleast not right away.
There are people who post there, who are actively falling timber, East, West and the entire mid section. The broad range of posters keeps things moving. I keep myself amused in the middle of the night, rambling on about crap that no longer applies.

It still applies. Keep writing.

Back