Best Budget Axe for Splitting??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd put my money on the Fiskars. Of course it depends on the wood you are splitting as well. Now if it was one of those gear driven splitters, the Fiskars would lose.

I have an Fiskars x27 and I think it is much faster than a hydraulic splitter and easier as well, especially if the rounds are too big to pick up by hand and the rounds splits with two or three hits.

I still would put my money on the Fiskars even if the round is 50" across as long as it is clean, straight rounds. I would not want to man handle that size of a piece to split it with a splitter.

The problem with big rounds and a maul or ax, is you get into it and it doesn't split all the way across, then closing up on your ax, then you got to sit there for a min wiggling it out, now this is my experience with the wood I cut??? sooo other wood? not sure.

Fine by me!! Remember you have to move these too!
I think I could move all my coffie, Sprite, Monster, Cigs, mauls faster than you can move your BIG splitter! :msp_w00t: :hmm3grin2orange: :msp_flapper:

No problem, tilt the splitter vertical roll the round up to it, drop it down on the bed and split.

The problem with big rounds and a maul or ax, is you get into it and it doesn't split all the way across, then closing up on your ax, then you got to sit there for a min wiggling it out, now this is my experience with the wood I cut??? sooo other wood? not sure.

No problem, tilt the splitter vertical roll the round up to it, drop it down on the bed and split.

I know it all depends on the type of wood you are splitting but I just cut up a big oak tree, not sure how big it was, but it was too big to man handle and I was able to split every piece of the main trunk 20" in length of the tree right down the center with two or three hits.

If the rounds split with two or three hits, then my money is on the Fiskars but any more than that, then the hydraulic splitter wins.

I know it all depends on the type of wood you are splitting but I just cut up a big oak tree, not sure how big it was, but it was too big to man handle and I was able to split every piece of the main trunk 20" in length of the tree right down the center with two or three hits.

If the rounds split with two or three hits, then my money is on the Fiskars but any more than that, then the hydraulic splitter wins.

Ya, I'm sure it is faster, I just choose to save my body. I'd love to try one of those axe's though. I could use more exercise though. LOL

Ya, I'm sure it is faster, I just choose to save my body. I'd love to try one of those axe's though. I could use more exercise though. LOL

I think it is easier on the body splitting with an axe instead of a hydraulic splitter. I would not want to man handle a 50" round to the splitter having to move it every time a piece is split.

:msp_mellow: :msp_sneaky: o.k. he he he he you can do it that way or you could just pick them up and put them Horz. split, pick up the peices and rerun and repeat.:hmm3grin2orange:

I think it is easier on the body splitting with an axe instead of a hydraulic splitter. I would not want to man handle a 50" round to the splitter having to move it every time a piece is split.

Actually Its not that bad. I always have a partner, we lift the round on edge roll it to the splitter and drop it on the table, split it in half then good to go.

If I can't use a saw for noodlin.

No cutting the squish bands on pump cyl.
No porting of the valve bodies.
No modding of exhaust valve.
No Big bore cyl. heads.
But that should produce at least 10-12sec. cyl. times
OH :poop: :msp_scared:
There I go thinking out loud again!

Stock log splitter vs Stock Fiskers X-27 :biggrin:

race

via

internet

What kind of wood ya got WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY over and up there!!!????

Introducing The first Ever Video Shodown Stock Log Splitter VS. Stock Fiskers X27
Amount of wood-
Size of Wood-
1st place gets??
2nd place gets??

And who is throwing in a friendly wager

:go:

OH!!:poop: What da Husqvarna did I get my self into!!!!!
Figgin' Coffee.
:msp_scared:

IF we decide to do this it will be for FUN!!!!!!!!!!
Like how its suppost to be here!!!
And just to see if a semi-middle aged smoker can keep up w/ a machine!!

IF we decide to do this it will be for FUN!!!!!!!!!!
Like how its suppost to be here!!!
And just to see if a semi-middle aged smoker can keep up w/ a machine!!

It would be interesting... I think it would depend a great deal on the amount to be split more than the size of the rounds. Face cord, full cord, 5 rounds of approximately the same size.... I think anyone that has swung a maul/splitting axe has a good chance of beating a hydraulic splitter for a short period.

Get into full cord type volumes and well, depends on :lifter: how in shape ya are.

dw

It would be interesting... I think it would depend a great deal on the amount to be split more than the size of the rounds. Face cord, full cord, 5 rounds of approximately the same size.... I think anyone that has swung a maul/splitting axe has a good chance of beating a hydraulic splitter for a short period.

Get into full cord type volumes and well, depends on :lifter: how in shape ya are.

dw

Agreed. Last time I rented the big Husky splitter my wife and daughter (don't laugh, they are serious workers) split 4 cords in about a 8-10 hour period. Last cord I split with my X27 was about 2 hours worth, but I was loading it on a trailer as I went. Could I have kept up for 8 to 10 hours? Doubtful for sure, but then there were two of them...

This much I will say, when I'm in my 16-24 inch rounds of straight grained Walnut, I'll flat smoke a conventional hydraulic splitter even over a full day's time.

My X27 is due in from Baileys Thursday, and the 441 M needs more fuel ran through it.... I already have more would cut/split than I need this winter (don't burn for heat just int eh fire place), but I may go cut and split another truckload this weekend.

Maybe some deer camp wood for next fall :hmm3grin2orange:

dw

dw

I think it would be fun I have never done anything like this before!

It would be with what ever wood we both have and how ever long I can take a video for.
Same size wood timed.
Long term I'd have to REALLY get back in shape for.
My season Just started I haven't even been out cuttin or splitting "firewood" yet.

Only thing I'd like IF I win is for Fiskers to send me a hat for promoting there product for them. Not gunna happin so I don't care.
And if Parrisw wins a hat from the manufacture of that splitter. Not gunna happin

ChitsnGigglesONLY!!

I don't know if I have a store around here that would have something like that....
thanks for all the input everyone has given thus far
If you do Ebay, do a search for axe-hatchet. There will be 3 or 4 hundred quality axes listed. I love my Friskars for splitting, but it does not have near the quality of steel that an older Bluegrass, Keen Kutter, True Temper, etc. axes will have. There's something about vintage quality axes and hatchets that will always turn my head. I many that I have restored and they do nothing but hang in my shop.

Last edited:
I think it would be fun I have never done anything like this before!

It would be with what ever wood we both have and how ever long I can take a video for.
Same size wood timed.
Long term I'd have to REALLY get back in shape for.
My season Just started I haven't even been out cuttin or splitting "firewood" yet.

Only thing I'd like IF I win is for Fiskers to send me a hat for promoting there product for them. Not gunna happin so I don't care.
And if Parrisw wins a hat from the manufacture of that splitter. Not gunna happin

ChitsnGigglesONLY!!

--you'll win, don't sweat it. I've watched just a ton of guys machine splitting vids here, the only ones faster than a fiskars (normal regular wood, not 84 inch six way knots) are the big expensive multi wedge processor types. Maybe the fast cycling kinetic and split both ways splitters are a little faster, but just marginally. It's the cycle time. Both will split, the cycle time on most of the regular entry level hydraulics are ..well..they are slow. By the time they are on the third pass, with still more splits to go, the fiskars guy has the whole round done. I've just stared at those vids, and I have my own experience. The fiskars is just faster.

When I get in good wood, straight grained nice stuff, just a scosh drying out, cracks showing, I can split faster than my Gf can get it stacked, and that is WITH me loading the splits in the wheelbarrow, walking over to the stack area, dumping it, coming back and splitting again. Moderate wood, some twisty/gnarly to it, about even or she can stack a little faster, but not much.

That's one of the reasons I always comment on these fiskars threads. The dang thing just worked for me. took a chance, bought one, shazzam!! Freekin worked! And I ain't no linebacker, either, 5-5 and 130 with clothes on, pockets full, boots on, on the stock scales. Small in other words, and I am 60 now. If I can rip with a fiskars like that, well....think what a 20 or 30 something at over 200 lbs in good shape could do with some speed training and aim training and wood round reading.

You'll win, no probs.

What is saw racing, three cuts (I forget, don't follow that really). Make the splitter race three similar sized rounds. Not wimpy small, but not huge, both racers have to be able to pick them up.

kamikaze Sorry for the Hi-jack!

No problems at all.... im all about some friendly competition..... if i can find a hat, and this ends up going down, which i hope it does... i would be more that happy to send it to either party:clap:

My Fiscars X27 beat my very expensive Gransfors Bruks 6 lb. splitting maul in all kinds of wood. It also beat my 12lb. super maul, my Condor winged splitting axe, regular 8 lb. maul, and my 5 lb. plumb. If you want to stay under $20 the go to antiques stores or swap meets and get a true temper or plumb axe, otherwise the Fiscars is the only way to go. It's so light when you swing it, the speed of the hit shocks the wood into splitting like a varmint bullet exploding it's energy. The non stick coating helps it penetrate the wood much better.

Latest posts

Back