Best Budget Axe for Splitting??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok then. I pick the wood! I'm getting the ugliest knotty wood you can imagine.

:hmm3grin2orange: How did I know you were going say that!!! That's why I said I'd have the noodle saw (385 24'') idling near by!

But ya your right thats were the splitters really shine in the nasty stuff, the Fiskars do struggle w/ knots that a 6# maul would bust through. :msp_unsure:

Hey aren't you suppost to be building a saw?

:hmm3grin2orange: How did I know you were going say that!!! That's why I said I'd have the noodle saw (385 24'') idling near by!

But ya your right thats were the splitters really shine in the nasty stuff, the Fiskars do struggle w/ knots that a 6# maul would bust through. :msp_unsure:

Hey aren't you suppost to be building a saw?

LOL, ya, I cut allot of stuff with knots, I hate trying to split that by hand.

Ya supposed to be building a saw. Maybe later, just don't feel like it right now.

LOL, ya, I cut allot of stuff with knots, I hate trying to split that by hand.

Ya supposed to be building a saw. Maybe later, just don't feel like it right now.

I hear ya!!!

Not very motivated myself today.

Ya, have to stand out in the cold garage, woke up this morning still feel like garbage, and here I thought last night was feeling better.

Ya being in the cold when sick is no fun then along tring to concertrate on some thing when shivering.
Could be worse, could be in a splitting ax race w/ your slow frozen Log splitter!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Ya being in the cold when sick is no fun then along tring to concertrate on some thing when shivering.
Could be worse, could be in a splitting ax race w/ your slow frozen Log splitter!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

LOL.

That splitter has saved my back though. So much less effort when splitting a crapload of wood.

I will have one some day.
Prob. soon than I think. I'm starting to wear down, torn muscle in my back, joint problems, I'm 34?
I'v ran a splitter before and had a big smile on my face when I sent the wedge through a big crotch while watching the birds in the next tree. And went home the same condition I left in.
But I enjoy splitting wood, I guess I like it when the wood goes flying.
And its good exercise. I'll hand split till I can't do it anymore then its the kids turn or a splitter.

I timed myself once

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH Whats the fun in that!!!!

Thats what we aught to do a Fiskars vs. Log Splitter Race!!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

That was red oak, cut 15L" x 16D", got 15 splits from that chunk in 40 seconds. That one didn't quite fit inside my tire, so split it loose and had to restand up some of the chunks during that time as well. Did it on purpose to check time.

And I am better with the fiskars now than then.

I've used a single edge hydraulic a lot, a maul, and now the fiskars. I'd say between the three in most but not all wood, the fiskars is noticeably faster. You can't pick up the chunks and reload the splitter and cycle it that fast.

Now all day long for commercial work, well, no, but for a guy doing his own wood at home...heck ya. The main thing is..not only does it split well, but even a small guy like me can swing it without getting beat on and whipped. I can't swing a heavy maul for very long any more, and frankly, even if I *could*, I have little desire when the fiskars gets the job done so much easier. Absolutely no comparison at all. It's the best hand tool I have gotten in decades.

It's like, keep pushing a dull chain in the wood, or stop and file for a few minutes..work smarter, not harder. I can do 90% of my wood now easy by hand. I've always liked splitting, but have to admit it got to be a lot like work in the past using the maul, or trying to fire up old stinky and get it going, now I need to slow down and save some rounds so I have something to do with firewood when I can't go out cutting. It is *big fun* for me.

Some guys just can't make 'em work..to be expected, they can't do it or their big pile of wood is just nasty beyond belief and it would be a chore with any method. Most guys here have reported they work well for them. I've read on some of the fiskars threads that even guys who have hydraulic splitters will a lot of times not even bother to start them up, and use the fiskars instead.

To each their own.

Yeah, had no plans to get a splitter, though I knew I would within maybe ten yr. I am 62 now and still enjoying hand splitting. But then the nearby Stihl dealer had a Wallenstein on the showroom floor and I got to looking at it and after about a month went in and bought it. I've had it a couple weeks, and it's amazing. Splits anything. I split difficult rounds into halves or quarters and then the rest by hand for the exercise. I usually have a pile of bad rounds off to one side, can't split by hand, no way, and on occasion will do some noodles and cut them up. I went through the entire big pile the other day and every single one busted up in no sweat with the splitter. What fun.

+1 on the Fiskars... there is actually a good thread in the firewood forum on here http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/187139.htm about the X27 (the longer of the 2) X25/X27.

I have an X25, find it a little short for me I'm 6'0" So I have the X27 coming from Baileys.... As much as I love the X25 I can't wait to try the X27. I only use a maul now to drive wedges in the knotty stuff, after I slab off as much as I can w/ the Fiskars.

dw

That was red oak, cut 15L" x 16D", got 15 splits from that chunk in 40 seconds. That one didn't quite fit inside my tire, so split it loose and had to restand up some of the chunks during that time as well. Did it on purpose to check time.

I've used a single edge hydraulic a lot, a maul, and now the fiskars. I'd say between the three in most but not all wood, the fiskars is noticeably faster. You can't pick up the chunks and reload the splitter and cycle it that fast.

Now all day long for commercial work, well, no, but for a guy doing his own wood at home...heck ya. The main thing is..not only does it split well, but even a small guy like me can swing it without getting beat on and whipped. I can't swing a heavy maul for very long any more, and frankly, even if I *could*, I have little desire when the fiskars gets the job done so much easier. Absolutely no comparison at all. It's the best hand tool I have gotten in decades.

It's like, keep pushing a dull chain in the wood, or stop and file for a few minutes..work smarter, not harder. I can do 90% of my wood now easy by hand. I've always liked splitting, but have to admit it got to be a lot like work in the past using the maul, or trying to fire up old stinky and get it going, now I need to slow down and save some rounds so I have something to do with firewood when I can't go out cutting. It is *big fun* for me.

Some guys just can't make 'em work..to be expected, they can't do it or their big pile of wood is just nasty beyond belief and it would be a chore with any method. Most guys here have reported they work well for them. I've read on some of the fiskars threads that even guys who have hydraulic splitters will a lot of times not even bother to start them up, and use the fiskars instead.

To each their own.

Amen!!!
Nothing like fresh cut red oak!!!
I was splitting some R/O when my 75yr old Grandpa came down to the house he couldn't help him self, Oxy. tank and all he had to bust a round!
I did firewood sales last winter and should be getting back into it this week possably. Cut,split,stack 20f/c for self use, cut,split,delivered 80f/c. I work w/ a ol' timer for some time in the woods, exercise, and some needed income, but time is still money!
I usally use a 6# maul, it takes me a little time to get back into the swing of things, then I can swing the 6# like my ax, then I try to work up to the 8#.
Last year my 6# broke and I had to run the 8# all day which well get you into shape fast or just wear you out.
My biggest concern with the Fiskers is when splitting in the woods, working down the tree, might not be good on the really sharp edge, I have files and bought the Fiskers sharpener so hopefully this will help.

"It's like, keep pushing a dull chain in the wood, or stop and file for a few minutes..work smarter, not harder."

Exactly!!! I found this out the hard way!!!!!
Luckly for me that is how the ol' timer will cut sometimes!!!!!! I'm a heavy smoker I need to catch my wind too!!!!

"now I need to slow down and save some rounds so I have something to do with firewood when I can't go out cutting. It is *big fun* for me."

I find my self doing this too!! Hording rounds, and trees for that perfect snowy day to go cut or split! Its nice when your a little ahead!
I try to wait till its in the teen's or around 0 to go splitting, the water in the wood is frozen and will shatter when struck, plus you get more done because you don't get as hot.

To each their own.

Did you notice the 4 way head on it? For allot of the wood its in once, that's it. That 4 way has doubled our production.

Did you notice the 4 way head on it? For allot of the wood its in once, that's it. That 4 way has doubled our production.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH Give me my coffie, a MONSTER big can, and a fist full of Motrins, a nice cool day, some Icyhot, a hot bath on stand by, and my noodle saw idling a few steps away, paramedic's on stand-by, my Fiskers, 6# maul, 8# maul, a helper standing my rounds up and I'll out produce ya for like 2hrs. then i'll need to be hauled off, been riding the couch too much lately.:hmm3grin2orange:

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH Give me my coffie, a MONSTER big can, and a fist full of Motrins, a nice cool day, some Icyhot, a hot bath on stand by, and my noodle saw idling a few steps away, paramedic's on stand-by, my Fiskers, 6# maul, 8# maul, a helper standing my rounds up and I'll out produce ya for like 2hrs. then i'll need to be hauled off, been riding the couch too much lately.:hmm3grin2orange:

No saws allowed, its a splitting contest only. If ya want to include saws then it'll be a race to see who gets a log bucked up and split first.

No saws allowed, its a splitting contest only. If ya want to include saws then it'll be a race to see who gets a log bucked up and split first.

:hmm3grin2orange: Fine I'll need another Monster tall boy, and a few more Motrins. I'll still take ya! :confident:

P.s. I haven't sharpend my chain since '82 the dealer said w/ that much power in that saw you don't need too.:biggrin:

this sounds like its turning into a pretty interesting bet..... id put money on it, but i gotta use a fiskars first:hmm3grin2orange:

:hmm3grin2orange: Fine I'll need another Monster tall boy, and a few more Motrins. I'll still take ya! :confident:

P.s. I haven't sharpend my chain since '82 the dealer said w/ that much power in that saw you don't need too.:biggrin:

this sounds like its turning into a pretty interesting bet..... id put money on it, but i gotta use a fiskars first:hmm3grin2orange:

LOL, bring it on boys!!! Did I tell ya the round were 50" across?

I'd put my money on the Fiskars. Of course it depends on the wood you are splitting as well. Now if it was one of those gear driven splitters, the Fiskars would lose.

I have an Fiskars x27 and I think it is much faster than a hydraulic splitter and easier as well, especially if the rounds are too big to pick up by hand and the rounds splits with two or three hits.

I still would put my money on the Fiskars even if the round is 50" across as long as it is clean, straight rounds. I would not want to man handle that size of a piece to split it with a splitter.

Last edited:
LOL, bring it on boys!!! Did I tell ya the round were 50" across?

Fine by me!! Remember you have to move these too!
I think I could move all my coffie, Sprite, Monster, Cigs, mauls faster than you can move your BIG splitter! :msp_w00t: :hmm3grin2orange: :msp_flapper:

Back