Best Budget Axe for Splitting??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very effective, But I like to watch mine Flyyyyyyyyyy.
I like his wood storage spot!

plus 1! (Use those crappy yellow handled "trupper" brand hammers from walmart. Have an axe, maul, and 10lbs sledge. Had to put some serious grind time on that splitting maul to get an edge & taper that worked..Typically if its straight wood like ash or cherry the slitting maul does fine all buy it self, on the more gnarly, axe first then while holding the axe handle with the left hand hammer it in the the 10lbs sledge with the right..been doing it this way since a teenager and can usually keep up with the bride and the 12hp splitter:msp_smile: Actually on straight wood the maul is by far the fastest way)

Last edited:
oh and minor update... i just talked the wife into getting me the X27 the X7 hatchet and the SOGfari Machete

Sorry I must of missed this post.

COOL!!!
What did ya get for me? I want a X-25!!!

You'll have to let us know what you think!

I'd like to know how well the X-7 works, what I need it for? I'll find something.

Sorry I must of missed this post.

COOL!!!
What did ya get for me? I want a X-25!!!

You'll have to let us know what you think!

I'd like to know how well the X-7 works, what I need it for? I'll find something.

More fiskars stuff--this was the result of a 50 buck gift certificate

172702d1297973762-feb17_001-jpg

More fiskars stuff--this was the result of a 50 buck gift certificate

172702d1297973762-feb17_001-jpg

nice let me know how the machete does...... if I happen to run across some extra cash JROPO ill order u one and have it shipped to u, maybe trade out or something

plus 1! (Use those crappy yellow handled "trupper" brand hammers from walmart. Have an axe, maul, and 10lbs sledge. Had to put some serious grind time on that splitting maul to get an edge & taper that worked..Typically if its straight wood like ash or cherry the slitting maul does fine all buy it self, on the more gnarly, axe first then while holding the axe handle with the left hand hammer it in the the 10lbs sledge with the right..been doing it this way since a teenager and can usually keep up with the bride and the 12hp splitter:msp_smile: Actually on straight wood the maul is by far the fastest way)

I hear ya!
I thought my trupper axes/mauls were SHARP until I got a Fiskar's.
Straight grain, I think you could out split yourself (not being able to move fast enough).
More gnaly it gets more I think you'll be looking around for your 6# maul.
I was splitting my cotton wood leftover's from last year. For some reason that I didn't split, maybe because I thought I'd Noodle them, couldn't split w/ the 6#, whatever, split it all in about 15min in P.J.'s X-mas morning. It was warm here and the wood was nice and "gooey" and had to double hit a few. But did not stick at all. I have some semi-punky road side maple that i'll try it on next. This stuff can be a royal PITA some times!

nice let me know how the machete does...... if I happen to run across some extra cash JROPO ill order u one and have it shipped to u, maybe trade out or something

It's OK, works like a machete, good for softer stuff. Use it in the garden more than any place else, take down like corn stalks and okra stalks and sunflowers, etc. In retrospect, I think that two handed brush hook clearing tool would be better, if your needs are for harder, more woody stuff and clearing.

Of course, it is wicked fun slicing up water melons! sliceslicesliceslice and slice, done. Like Japanese chef style.

So far I have used the little hatchet a lot, it is how I first approach a felled tree. Grab the little branches out at the end, flex, whack it at the flex. Then I come back and have at it with the Oregon battery saw, take all my small pieces of firewood. That way, all my cuts with the saw result in stuff I want to bring back to the stack, get much better mileage that way. When the battery is done, I switch to my smallest gasser, then work my way back to the main trunk, adjusting saw size as I go. So I start out with my largest felling saw, then wind up using that saw again towards the end. So far, three sizes saw does it for me (most of the time, I vary on mood and situation), although I want one more much larger saw around 90 ccs or so with a big bar. I just get some real whoppers where that would work better.

WHAT?????

Really????

COOL!!!

It's OK, works like a machete, good for softer stuff. Use it in the garden more than any place else, take down like corn stalks and okra stalks and sunflowers, etc. In retrospect, I think that two handed brush hook clearing tool would be better, if your needs are for harder, more woody stuff and clearing.

Of course, it is wicked fun slicing up water melons! sliceslicesliceslice and slice, done. Like Japanese chef style.

So far I have used the little hatchet a lot, it is how I first approach a felled tree. Grab the little branches out at the end, flex, whack it at the flex. Then I come back and have at it with the Oregon battery saw, take all my small pieces of firewood. That way, all my cuts with the saw result in stuff I want to bring back to the stack, get much better mileage that way. When the battery is done, I switch to my smallest gasser, then work my way back to the main trunk, adjusting saw size as I go. So I start out with my largest felling saw, then wind up using that saw again towards the end. So far, three sizes saw does it for me (most of the time, I vary on mood and situation), although I want one more much larger saw around 90 ccs or so with a big bar. I just get some real whoppers where that would work better.

Thats how I do it. Start at the top w/ the 344t and work my way to the trunk. I like to have more saw at the stump for felling. I rarely need the 385.

How do you like the Oregon Bat. Saw?
I'd like one for my Lawn Service. For those limbs that like to drop down and poke you in the eye!! :poke:, take your hat off, ect.

Might have to do the Watermellon thing!!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Pretty good. I think he would have done it faster with less swings by stepping up on a one foot block. He left a ton of force in the swing by hitting high like that.

I found this last night!

[video=youtube_share;8-bkjAP0xMQ]http://youtu.be/8-bkjAP0xMQ[/video]

And this

[video=youtube_share;ShCJO4j7gfg]http://youtu.be/ShCJO4j7gfg[/video]

$50? On Sale?

Nope, no sale, just all off the shelf at wallyworld. Had to mix and match and come out as close as possible to the fifty bucks, that's what I wound up with. Fiskars makes like..dunno..couple hundred things. Ha, pretty funny, had a stock guy and the cashier come over, all three of us were checking prices and working out the most fiskars for the buck.

So far I have the fillet knife, scissors, supersplitter original, hatchet, folding saw and machete.

Thats how I do it. Start at the top w/ the 344t and work my way to the trunk. I like to have more saw at the stump for felling. I rarely need the 385.

How do you like the Oregon Bat. Saw?
I'd like one for my Lawn Service. For those limbs that like to drop down and poke you in the eye!! :poke:, take your hat off, ect.

I like it just fine. I think it is the first real practical battery saw. I have a long review on it at the firewood forum, here is the link:

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/179262.htm

Took me awhile using it to find the best way *to* use it, to get the most from what it has as a saw and the battery life. Think I got it down pretty good now. You can follow my learning curve evolution on that thread, with a lot of crappy cellphone pics. If you wanted it to just trim so you don't get nailed while mowing, heck ya, work for that just swell, pretty ideal actually.

Nope, no sale, just all off the shelf at wallyworld. Had to mix and match and come out as close as possible to the fifty bucks, that's what I wound up with. Fiskars makes like..dunno..couple hundred things. Ha, pretty funny, had a stock guy and the cashier come over, all three of us were checking prices and working out the most fiskars for the buck.

So far I have the fillet knife, scissors, supersplitter original, hatchet, folding saw and machete.

Customer service? I thought that was illegal!
:msp_scared::hmm3grin2orange:

A buddie has the Hedge Clippers they look nice!
Can you get X- Series Axes at Wallyworld?

I like it just fine. I think it is the first real practical battery saw. I have a long review on it at the firewood forum, here is the link:

Took me awhile using it to find the best way *to* use it, to get the most from what it has as a saw and the battery life. Think I got it down pretty good now. You can follow my learning curve evolution on that thread, with a lot of crappy cellphone pics. If you wanted it to just trim so you don't get nailed while mowing, heck ya, work for that just swell, pretty ideal actually.

Oh, Ok I was reading that awhile back.

I was watching the info commercial over and over, while surfing the web, cause there isn't anything on TV any more and like any thing that has to do w/ Outdoor power equipment. I like how they always find the "Manly" office guy's to do the demo's.:hmm3grin2orange:

Back