Best Budget Axe for Splitting??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, Ok I was reading that awhile back.

I was watching the info commercial over and over, while surfing the web, cause there isn't anything on TV any more and like any thing that has to do w/ Outdoor power equipment. I like how they always find the "Manly" office guy's to do the demo's.:hmm3grin2orange:

Bwahahaha! The company guy took a ton of vids and pics of me using it the first day, but I guess "snuffy smith" lookin dudes don't make the cut on the TV advertising! HAHAHAHAHAHA Hey, I don't care either, spiffy saw and I appreciate it, it has worked out well for me. I figured, if this was my *only* saw, and using just one battery a day (and recharged from my solar panels), I could easily do all my firewood year to year with it, albeit I would skip all the real big stuff of course. Actually about twice what I burn.

It'll cut out to the bar length, 14", but to be practical, stop at around half a bar length max, that size and under you get the most good cuts per charge on the battery. 3-4 inches is about perfect, but I have cut up to ten with it readily. And it really is a no brainer saw, super easy to use. A tank of oil lasts three charges easy and that's it. On/off. No yank start, no idling, no mix, no nuthing, just cutting, and self sharpening is the berries. Slap a batt in, ready to rock. I hope they come out with one that'll take a 20 inch bar/chain and pull it.

As to the x series fiskars axes at wallyworld, my local one carries one or the other forget which the x25 or 27, right on the shelf.

I just read your write-up on the firewood forum. Well done!!! Like I said on there I'm sold!
The idea of the solar pannels is cool too!
When times get tough I really start looking at my gas and oil useage, and in a pinch I could cut for FREE!!!!!!

With Fiskar's selling the X-series axes at Wallyworld I wonder how many drunken splitting by the bonfire split chins there will be? :msp_ohmy:

I'd like to try this.

[video=youtube_share;_olacH1hlWg]http://youtu.be/_olacH1hlWg[/video]

I'd like to try this.

Looks somewhat reasonable in real straight grained, but a fiskars and splitting the same wood inside a tire would be loads faster.

Reminds me too much of driving in fence posts....or like back in the 50s and 60s going ice fishing with my dad and using an ice spud. ;)

Looks somewhat reasonable in real straight grained, but a fiskars and splitting the same wood inside a tire would be loads faster.

Reminds me too much of driving in fence posts....or like back in the 50s and 60s going ice fishing with my dad and using an ice spud. ;)

:msp_scared: Since you put it that way, um ya not for me!!!!!!!!!!
Driving frence posts and spuding ice, is not usually brought up in civilized conversations..:msp_mellow:
Definatly character building though!
Some would say the same about cutting,splitting,stacking,firewood.

Those yellow handled "Truper" stuff have served me well...for years. Treated myself to those wood handled Husqvarna Axes..they work well and feel right..rather have wood handles...:msp_smile:
215738d1325964320-axes-jpg

Last edited:
Just found out my local Wallyworlkd had 2- X25 in stock. They were inn the pallets to go back to the dist. center. I asked the dept manager if I could purchase one and how much...he talked to the store manager and gave me 20% off retail of $39.98. Not a bad deal I thought. They also had some scissors that were in the box and got them for the same 20% off. They said that stuff just doesn't sell there and they sold zero of both in over a year so off the shelf they came.
Got to try out the X25...first impression, good ergos, and light feeling. Started out slow and easy as to get used to the shorter handle then I use on my mauls (boy oh boy this thing is sharp!!!). Once going and getting into a rhythm, WOW this thing flat out rocks. I can swing with less then half the effort of a maul and the wood pops. Split about 1/2 a cord like nothing (of course its all green pine) some pretty knotty though. Worth the invest IMHO. I am 6' tall and 275lbs. No issue with the shorter handle.

Just found out my local Wallyworlkd had 2- X25 in stock. They were inn the pallets to go back to the dist. center. I asked the dept manager if I could purchase one and how much...he talked to the store manager and gave me 20% off retail of $39.98. Not a bad deal I thought. They also had some scissors that were in the box and got them for the same 20% off. They said that stuff just doesn't sell there and they sold zero of both in over a year so off the shelf they came.
Got to try out the X25...first impression, good ergos, and light feeling. Started out slow and easy as to get used to the shorter handle then I use on my mauls (boy oh boy this thing is sharp!!!). Once going and getting into a rhythm, WOW this thing flat out rocks. I can swing with less then half the effort of a maul and the wood pops. Split about 1/2 a cord like nothing (of course its all green pine) some pretty knotty though. Worth the invest IMHO. I am 6' tall and 275lbs. No issue with the shorter handle.

Big fun, ain't it? That's what happened to me, I just couldn't believe it! Pop! popopopop I'm standing there going "no way" and the pile of splits is going WAY!!!

Every once in awhile today you run into something that is just so freekin much better than the replacement, it gives ya hope we won't be stuck forever with chinese alleged "metal" stuff. And not have to pay through the nose either. Ya, it ain't made in the USA, made in Finland..who cares, i'd trust dudes in Finland to take firewood tools real dang serious, and you can see it in the quality. How they manage to pull that tool off so cheap and make it in an "expensive" European country is beyond me, but I am grateful for their effort.

'popping' the fiskars seems to work best for me, at least after the initial split on the round. the first split sometimes takes a full wind up, but after that I rely on a snappy swing, 'popping' it into the wood from fairly low with more of a arm-flick than a full-body-grunt (compared to heavier tools)

after talking here about it, i went out today and banged out some magnolia i had sitting around from last year. it is soft (not defined as softwood, but compared to typical firewood....) and this was full of knots ... 4 or 5 per piece. no issues and in the 10 minutes I had I knocked out more than a wheel barrow full. i queued it by the back door and will use it as a hot burner to get the oak and hickory going in the insert.

Last edited:
Thanks to advice in this thread, I sprung for a new Fiskars x27. Here is the new introducing itself to the old hardware store maul:
P1050033.JPG

I'm only 5'10", and pretty clearly done growing, but I am very glad I went for the longer handle. I split 90+% Red Oak with nice straight grain. I like to cut 14-20" diameter rounds, and cut them about 16"-18 inches long, depending on customer preference. I've only split about a face cord so far, but I am very impressed, rarely requiring more than one strike for any split. Here is one of the first:
P1050037.JPG

Pretty wood, smells good too. And a quick video of my first splits with it. A testement to my slow pace, my access to nice straight grained oak, and the efficiency of the x27: http://youtu.be/pOcyiBXdTGo

Last edited:
I can't believe that this Thread is still going!

After hearing and seeing the comments and video's about the X-25.
I think I might be a bit faster in straight grained wood w/ the X-25.
And I would consider a trading a New never used Husqvarna Saw Box for a Unwanted gently used X-25.

Last edited:
Thanks to advice in this thread, I sprung for a new Fiskars x27. Here is the new introducing itself to the old hardware store maul:

I'm only 5'10", and pretty clearly done growing, but I am very glad I went for the longer handle. I split 90+% Red Oak with nice straight grain. I like to cut 14-20" diameter rounds, and cut them about 16"-18 inches long, depending on customer preference. I've only split about a face cord so far, but I am very impressed, rarely requiring more than one strike for any split. Here is one of the first:

Pretty wood, smells good too. And a quick video of my first splits with it. A testement to my slow pace, my access to nice straight grained oak, and the efficiency of the x27:

Cool vid, man! Now cut you a short really wide chopping block, and throw a big truck tire up there, and stick the round to be split inside of it. You can walk right around it and just keep whacking away and not have to bend over to "reload" all the time.

Just got a Friscars X27 splitting ax.
It is very lightweight, quite sharp and takes barely any effort; no more trying to send the bumper to the bell.
It actually split a 12" diameter 16" long piece with just barely a touch.
Great tool but about 50 bucks on-line so it might not meet your "budget" criteria.
Just my opinion, but for me it would meet a budget due to all the splitter maul wooden handles I have had to replace
and the Friscars is "claimed" to be unbreakable.

Last edited:
Received & used Fiskars X27

Just received my longer Fiskars X27 in mail, still waiting on the #7854 super splitter 28 In.
Very impressed with the X27 went thru some rounds I didn't think it would do. What I was really impressed with was the way it handled those gnarly, knotty pieces. I usually fight with them or leave them for another day. Yesterday when splitting the tough pieces I turned them on their side and whacked a few times and they broke open nicely (noodling with axe). I would not have attempted that with my 8lb maul, I would have wedged and fought with the piece. Much less tiring with the X27. Waiting on the other one the 28in. I am a tall drink of water 6 2" and have some reservations about the shorter length. It has a wider and longer head. I do chop on a block so it might be OK. The shorter 28" super splitter, I read, is what put Fiskars on the map in the splitting world so I wanted to try it out.

Gary in CT

Also just ordered a Fiskars x11 17-Inch Splitting Axe as well to make kindling and smaller pieces.
Will post how that works out.
The current mini-mall has a very heavy dull edged head with angles at about 30 degrees, so the new one has to be an improvement.
I imagine I'll have to get a chopping block in the basement near the stove to keep the integrity of both the splitter and the concrete.

Last edited:
Waiting on the other one the 28in. I am a tall drink of water 6 2" and have some reservations about the shorter length. It has a wider and longer head. I do chop on a block so it might be OK. The shorter 28" super splitter, I read, is what put Fiskars on the map in the splitting world so I wanted to try it out.

Gary in CT

I found that I needed to adjust my stance a little due to it's being a bit shorter-handled than my axes and mauls. After doing that and getting used to it, I no longer notice the change and am comfortable with it. I haven't used the axes or mauls in months, only the Fiskar's.

My X27 came today. I tried it out for close to an hour this afternoon. I have to say that it seems to be everything everyone here claims it is. Pretty impressed with it so far..... hope to use it more this weekend.

Back