Best Cart For Hauling from Woodpile to House (Uphill, Uneven Ground)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windsurferk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live on a fairly steep lot and my woodpiles are down the hill from my house. I'm looking for the most efficient way to move my firewood up to my house. I don't have to go too far (50-150 feet depending on the pile), but the incline combined with the soft forest ground makes it difficult to push a 1-wheeled wheelbarrow up the incline.

An ATV would be nice, but it's not in the cards at this point. I've considered the following:

What do you think would allow me to move the most wood per trip given my terrain?

Welcome to AS.

Your question is hard to answer, depending on a bunch of variables. If you have soft ground you'll probably want wide wheels. How much weight can you comfortably move? Do you have a riding lawnmower or garden tractor that you could pull a trailer with? I move mine from the woodshed to the house in a wheelbarrow, but that's on level ground. When splitting, I use the garden trailer to move it to the stacking area.

I use a hand truck to move wood. Depending how your house is you can pull it threw the doorways easy.

Lowes or Home Depot sells a 2-wheeled big cubic sized wheelbarrow that makes it super easy to move nice big amounts of wood over uneven terrain.. This it costs like $129.99 but worth every penny..

Lowes or Home Depot sells a 2-wheeled big cubic sized wheelbarrow that makes it super easy to move nice big amounts of wood over uneven terrain.. This it costs like $129.99 but worth every penny..

Thats what I use, 75 foot or so haul, works great....

Being in favor of "toys" I would vote for a DR Power Wagon or similar.

Actually I am debating one if it will go through myi 36" porch door so I can stock that with my usual 2 1/2 cords at the beginning of the season. Got as far as checking the specs on it. With the door stops and if the specs aren't lying it will go through with 1/8" clearance both sides :). Current method is rider mower towing trailer, park outside the door and carry each stick in to put it on the pile. PITA

Harry K

I use the Gorilla Cart, but the one that holds 3 cubic feet. Going uphill I've found if I pull it up the hill while facing backwards works best for me. Since I do tend to over stack the thing, especially with wood, I use bungies to hold the load in place. :)

I also tend to haul my chainsaw, fuel, bar and chain oil, wedges, ropes, come-a-long, axes, and whatever else I feel I might need in it to where I'll be working.

Firewood Cart from Harbor freight. I did eventually bend the axles (I have two) and replaced them with solid stock. But for the price, they work great.

220521d1327875775-mpl1-jpg

Anything except this guy and his truck...what's left of it!

All these are great suggestions and advice...I'm kinda partial to what Mac said: examine closely what your situation is and you'll be just fine! View attachment 276106:msp_scared:

Sounds like you are looking for something "hand powered". I have a cart similar to the Landmann and it works really great for my needs. I have to traverse 3 steps on the way into the house and the large pneumatic tires really roll over uneven terrain nicely. If you had a larger opening and a ramp or similar, the Gorilla Carts look also great.

I found my pneumanic-wheeled firewood cart and a 4' log rack on Craigslist for $40.

I use my kids wagon, they out grew it. It has big tires on it and rolls really easy through the snow and mud. I can get a day and a thirds worth of wood in it.

I use the Landman log caddy and I love it. It holds a lot of wood and the fat tires go easily over bumps and steps. When the ground is dry (no mud on tires) I roll it right in the front door and unload right next to the stove!

Agreed with Mac, please consider every possible variable before investing in a small wood caddy cart.

I'll pass along some of my own experiences... those bicycle-type wheels will be practically useless if it's been raining or there's snow on the ground. They'll mire down under a load. Roll over a small stick or branch and the wheel will wedge... or the cart will tip over.

Wheelbarrow tires aren't quite as bad for miring down but they will sink if you load 'em enough. Overloaded, they'll squat.

When the wheels sink, even slightly you'll have to pull or push even harder to move your load. There you're risking a slip, trip or fall, not to mention possible back injury. Seriously bad news on an incline with your hands behind your back. :eek:

You could load fewer splits to avoid this but then again, you're making more trips to the woodpile and back. And every trip deepens ruts in the ground.

I pushed a wheelbarrow through a foot of snow to get firewood to the house one year and swore that would not happen ever again. I was working myself to death.

If you have a lawn tractor, get a set of tire chains for it and a dump cart. Even an old beater LT or GT with no mower deck will do. People give 'em away or sell cheap just to get rid of 'em. Anything to avoid killing yourself out there. :)

I live on a fairly steep lot and my woodpiles are down the hill from my house. I'm looking for the most efficient way to move my firewood up to my house. I don't have to go too far (50-150 feet depending on the pile), but the incline combined with the soft forest ground makes it difficult to push a 1-wheeled wheelbarrow up the incline.

An ATV would be nice, but it's not in the cards at this point. I've considered the following:

What do you think would allow me to move the most wood per trip given my terrain?

God's gift of slave labor: Children.

Of the choices there, that log hauler looks the best, especially if you can pull rather than push.

Look at all the animal powered buggies..all pull, dont see many pusher setups, do ya? Reason for that... Look at human rickshaws, same deal.

ME, I would rather make two or three trips with a lighter load than try to drag a huge load one time uphill.

As the others mentioned, a riding lawn mower (I refuse to call them things tractors unless they have a three point hitch) and a wagon is nice too, cost more (but cheapest to buy in the winter used...), but with ag tires and chains, could haul a lot more once you have your path established.

Of the choices there, that log hauler looks the best, especially if you can pull rather than push.
--Zogger

If I read the dimensions of that thing right, it's 26 inches across. Unless you're planning to move splits that are longer than that, you'll need some kind of webbing or something, won't you, to keep the logs in place?

Latest posts

Back