Best Cart For Hauling from Woodpile to House (Uphill, Uneven Ground)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use one of these Find Great Deals On Firewood Carts - Harbor Freight Tools
I picked it up in october and have been more than pleased with it. I fill it up to the top of the handle to the point where I can barely grab it with out getting my knuckles smashed. I pull it across the yard up a slight hill to the deck and up 5 steps.

I have two of these carts that I have been using for many years. They work very well.
I cut my wood to 20" length which fits nicely between the wheels.
I made a ramp out of a couple of 1x8's that i lay down over the steps to my porch.

Good suggestions. I'm going to try out a dolly and wagon (kids wagon with big tires) to see how those work on my terrain before buying anything. I also might be able to get my hands on a 8 year old John Deere mower without the mowing deck. If I put chains on and fill the tires with fluid, do you think I'll be able to pull a trailer around and up the hill? It sure would be nice to let the machine do some of the work.

The ground isn't muddy (there's good drainage), but it's a very wooded area with lots of leaves and fairly soft dirt in some areas. I guess after a few runs it will get tamped down. I'm cutting

We live in a very hilly area too. I always stack my wood above the house so that we can carry it downhill. i have a 15 year old wood hauler that uses a rubber/plastic type tote to carry the wood in. Three to four trips and he has the woodbox full. If stacking on the uphill side of the house is not an option I would do as some others have suggested and invest in an older lawn tractor with a small garden trailer behind it. Ag tires and fluid in them on the rears and you will be set.

I'm a little disappointed. I've been pondering this same issue because I'm just using a plain old wheelbarrow, but it doesn't look like any of these solutions haul more wood than my wheelbarrow does, and they'd add to my cost. I worked out a "system" now where I can load the heck out of the thing - I lay long splits along the edges, hanging out over the rim in all directions, then stack the wood in on top of those. I can get probably 5 cu. ft. of wood in there like this (I get it about 2' wide, about 3' long, and about 2' high, but it's all slanted so it doesn't actually make a cube...) Maybe 20-30 pieces depending on how big they are.

It sounds and looks ridiculous - I stack it as high as I dare, and I still occasionally shed a piece coming around a corner. But the weight works out fine if the wood is well seasoned (and it makes a good "final test" - I can tell immediately by the weight of a full barrow if it's good stuff). Keep that tire inflated FIRMLY! I figure I fit about 50% more wood per barrow than the Landmann Log Caddy (at least, what I see in the picture), the wheelbarrow only cost $30, and I use it for everything in the garden in summer. I'm sure the Gorilla Cart holds more but I can't justify $129 for it. I guess my selling point is I have a tight corner to go around, and a single-wheel barrow makes that easier.

What I'm lusting after now is a firewood load "tube" or chute. I've seen other people using plastic drain pipe to do that, and I have a perfect spot in a basement window. But I can't seem to find plastic pipe in a suitable size (I'd want at least 12" to avoid hang-ups in the pipe") for any remotely reasonable price (I'm getting quotes of $300+, which is a lot for a piece of pipe in my book). Maybe some day.

I'm a little disappointed. I've been pondering this same issue because I'm just using a plain old wheelbarrow, but it doesn't look like any of these solutions haul more wood than my wheelbarrow does, and they'd add to my cost. I worked out a "system" now where I can load the heck out of the thing - I lay long splits along the edges, hanging out over the rim in all directions, then stack the wood in on top of those. I can get probably 5 cu. ft. of wood in there like this (I get it about 2' wide, about 3' long, and about 2' high, but it's all slanted so it doesn't actually make a cube...) Maybe 20-30 pieces depending on how big they are.

It sounds and looks ridiculous - I stack it as high as I dare, and I still occasionally shed a piece coming around a corner. But the weight works out fine if the wood is well seasoned (and it makes a good "final test" - I can tell immediately by the weight of a full barrow if it's good stuff). Keep that tire inflated FIRMLY! I figure I fit about 50% more wood per barrow than the Landmann Log Caddy (at least, what I see in the picture), the wheelbarrow only cost $30, and I use it for everything in the garden in summer. I'm sure the Gorilla Cart holds more but I can't justify $129 for it. I guess my selling point is I have a tight corner to go around, and a single-wheel barrow makes that easier.

What I'm lusting after now is a firewood load "tube" or chute. I've seen other people using plastic drain pipe to do that, and I have a perfect spot in a basement window. But I can't seem to find plastic pipe in a suitable size (I'd want at least 12" to avoid hang-ups in the pipe") for any remotely reasonable price (I'm getting quotes of $300+, which is a lot for a piece of pipe in my book). Maybe some day.

Well, cant help ya on the buggy, but why not score a used kids backyard slide for a chute? Seems about perfect to me. Set the thing up right below that window, open window, slide the BTUs down.

I'd say get a little tractor and cart if you can. I use a little 11hp JD 111 and a 17cu ft cart to haul wood that is always filled sky high. I'm in jersey so I don't have any big hills to deal with but I've got a few on the trail that have given me a run for my money. Still way better than humping it in by hand. I just ordered a set of chains for it. I'm a big boy so I think I can get a way without filling the tires. I'm gonna be sad when I have to turn the 111 over to my dad. I promised it to him cause I'm a good son.

I like Del's approach.

My wood is also located downhill. My utility tractor tears up the yard too much in the winter so I used to use a regular sized hand truck with an extended log cradle I fashioned but it required me to take a rest stop on almost every loaded trip. I have a jumbo hand truck I use for moving rounds and stumbled upon this approach this season as I contemplated tossing a well used plastic garbage can. The can holds as much as my old cradle but the jumbo handtruck doesn't require the rest stops. The can keeps all the loose bark and leaves contained, I can roll the entire affair right up to the indoor wood racks, and I can clean up and haul out the usual handing mess as a part of my next trip. As a bonus, if the log is too long to fit in the can, it is too long for the stove. I wish I had come up with this years ago. Ron

attachment.php

View attachment 276263

Being in favor of "toys" I would vote for a DR Power Wagon or similar.

Actually I am debating one if it will go through myi 36" porch door so I can stock that with my usual 2 1/2 cords at the beginning of the season. Got as far as checking the specs on it. With the door stops and if the specs aren't lying it will go through with 1/8" clearance both sides :). Current method is rider mower towing trailer, park outside the door and carry each stick in to put it on the pile. PITA

Harry K

+1 I almost bought one off craigs list for 500 / I will get one some day...
DR Powerwagon - YouTube

Only thing as addicting than AS (you tube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtdE6-DV2QA

Last edited:
First, welcome to A.S.!

Second, part of the question should be: 'what do you do with the wood once you get it to your house'?

All of the different carts could work, and if the path is muddy, you could drop some gravel. But how many times are you handling your firewood?
I have started stacking some of my firewood in the garage in corrugated boxes, Rubbermaid totes (bought used), etc., to 'unitize' it. I have a small stove, so my wood gets cut up small. You could build plywood boxes if you wanted/needed a certain size.

If you choose something that you can load at your wood pile, and can carry right into the house/stage by the stove/fireplace/boiler, etc., you will save a lot of extra handling. The choice of your cart, then, would be something that works with the container you choose, and the amount you want to carry on each trip.

Philbert

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Good suggestions. I'm going to try out a dolly and wagon (kids wagon with big tires) to see how those work on my terrain before buying anything. I also might be able to get my hands on a 8 year old John Deere mower without the mowing deck. If I put chains on and fill the tires with fluid, do you think I'll be able to pull a trailer around and up the hill? It sure would be nice to let the machine do some of the work.

The ground isn't muddy (there's good drainage), but it's a very wooded area with lots of leaves and fairly soft dirt in some areas. I guess after a few runs it will get tamped down. I'm cutting

I don't see why not. You may not need to fill the rear wheels with fluid but you could do so later if needed. None of mine are fluid filled... wheel weights here. I haul fully loaded through mud and standing water.

Ag tires are a good way to go ~ both my buggies have 'em and I'll never go back to turf tires. That said, ag tires can be pricey. I got a set of Chinee ags for the JD mower, 8" wheels at Amazon for a great price. Garden tractor tires are larger and a pair of Carlisle ags is gonna cost ya. Been there, done that. :D

I'm thinking a set of tire chains on the stock turf savers will serve your needs without breaking the bank. The ticket is to have decent wheels on your cart. If the cart tires are narrow they could sink under load and you're spinning wheels. Wider tires won't sink as easily.

Hope it helps.

Not to be smart, but if your going to be at this place for awhile and burn wood for awhile. Why don't you have some fill hauled in. and somewhere at the top of that hill near your house dump a load or two over the hill to gain a level spot to put a woodshed? Seems like a lot of work moving wood uphill and for a few hundred bucks or so you could maybe arrange for a flat spot on that mountain of yours. 10 by 16 area can hold 5 cord of wood stacked 4 high. If you built a shed and put it in there you could get close to 7 cord stacking it 6' high. Just saying. Sure would be a lot less work in the long run if you ask me. The fill should not be that expensive, you might even score some for free if you find the right connection. Just suggesting a possible alternative.

SNOW BLOWER? Pull a garden cart behind the snow blower. or take of the front auger part, install a plate and ratchet strap a 55 gal barrel to the front. Drive right into the basement.

SNOW BLOWER? Pull a garden cart behind the snow blower. or take of the front auger part, install a plate and ratchet strap a 55 gal barrel to the front. Drive right into the basement.

This is either insanity or genius, and I love that I can't tell the difference. :bowdown:

Go to a gravel pit and see if they can set you up with a conveyor that dumps it right in the basement. One person at the pile unloading and the other in the basement re stacking.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

my vote is gorilla cart then log caddy. if you get much snow the bicycle tire one will go through the snow easiest long as the ground is froze. if you have more muddy terrain I'd go with the gorilla cart. with the gorilla cart, you can load the hell outta that and it'll only effect you pulling it. with anything that only had 2 wheels, you have to pull it and support the weight of the load, which will get tiresome up hill, especially if you hit something that stops the wheels, then all that weight of the load plus the inertia of the load falling is placed on you. I say go for the 4 wheeled gorilla cart.

I have an 50 chevy truck bed trailer with a crude 2x4 and tin cover, I park it close to the house. Then use a wood cart, made out of hand truck. View attachment 276431

Tractor and trailer does 2 weeks worth of fire wood at a time.

trailerofwood.jpg

sawsandloadofwood.jpg

loadofwoodandsaws.jpg

Ive also been knowen to use the front loader for about 3 days worth of wood each bucket load.

Allisbuildingthebeegarden.jpg

:D Al

Latest posts

Back