best chain bar combo for husky 257?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billmartin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all:newbie: here. just picked up this saw and wondered on a good set up for it. 1997 husky 275 16" bar and a chain that is getting ground at the local saw shop. cause the prev owner used to small of a file? whatever its ugly. it feels plenty strong and i would wonder if it could take a 20" or is that post upgrade time lol Thanks this site is rockin!!!
Bill

Edit: found out that a 20" should be ok thanks:)

Last edited:
chain type?

So what type of chain ie: full chisel..... or the thousand other terms I have heard? Husky H82 072G. I do know the sizes. Only cause they printed them on the box!!!:) And please tell me the proper file size.

I got one with the chain but it's in the garage. LAZY!!! One more thing is filing inside to outside is totally new to me.

Learned the other way from pops, he means well though.
I need to dull a chain so I can give it a try and see how it works after a while

The type of chain all depends on what type of wood you are cutting. If it is clean and has not been skidded or rolled in the dirt I would go with round ground square chisel. If the wood is very dirty I would go with semi chisel. IMHO:cheers: File sizes, 3/8 chain uses a 7/32 file, .325 chain uses a 3/16 file, and 3/8lp and 1/4 inch uses a 5/32 file.

Filing from inside to outside is pretty much standard around New England for sharpening chain. Thats the only way I've been shown how to file chain.

Square ground chisel is a whole new ball game. I've just started tinkering with it and there are many more experts on here about that type of chain.

Thanks Brucejr for the file size info and the chain recomendations:)

So for the total noob question on how to file the chain inside out.

Do you sit behind the saw and file out towards the tip of the bar?

No I'm serious I don't know and would like to learn.

I found tons of info about how to file which is amazing info, but no help for something i should already know.

One more way to unfortunatly proove my newbieness is that I didn't ask at the saw shop what kind of chain profile ie: chisel types DOHH:confused:

file all your right hand cutters flip the saw 180 and do all the left hand cutters always file towards the tip or point of the cutter best done in vise and use full chisel in clean wood or semi chisel in dirty wood dont bother with square ground chains pain in the @ss to sharpen and not even the dealer can do it without a special grinder both semi chisel and chisel can be sharpened with the same file

Sorry I re-read my post:monkey:

I was asking what type of chain the husky H82 072G chain was. chisel type and such. i do have the proper file for it at least!

I did understand what you meant on how to file inside to outside. Thanks!

Man oh man do I feel like the greenest saw owner out there.

I'm here to learn and I really appreciate all of you fellows time.

:greenchainsaw:

LOL green chainsaw.

Bill

well the h82 is the style of chain which is 3/8" .050 guage full chisel with bumper drive links the 072g means there are 72 drive links whick to me would mean a 20 inch chain

well the h82 is the style of chain which is 3/8" .050 guage full chisel with bumper drive links the 072g means there are 72 drive links whick to me would mean a 20 inch chain. edit bm. thanks ec

Jeeze sorry. It is a 20". i guess i could have brought that up(where is that newbie smilie?)

Ok full chisel. That is good to know so I dont try to sharpen it the wrong way.

It still won't be done right for a while but I'm at least getting closer to going the proper direction down one way roads:clap:

I'm here for one reason and that is to learn how to really make saws SAW!

Not just max hp but the big picture for my small needs. I need to learn how to sharp a chain fast and right and make good work saw type power.

Both I can do... But not without your help.

Back to the searches with new info!!! (eyes begin to bleed from monitor overdose)

Last edited:
full chisel is the fastest cutting chain you can get the bumper drive links are an anti kickback feature which slow it down a bit. as far as sharpening goes sounds like you got the idea down mainly now its just hands on practice to get good at it. takes awhile to really be able to file sharpen a chain like new power grinders work ok but loose their edge y faster than file sharpening and they dont get it as sharp either. your best bet to keep a chain sharp is to not really let it get dull touch them up often and then the should never relly require any in depth sharpening unless you hit dirt.....stay out of the dirt

full chisel is the fastest cutting chain you can get the bumper drive links are an anti kickback feature which slow it down a bit. as far as sharpening goes sounds like you got the idea down mainly now its just hands on practice to get good at it. takes awhile to really be able to file sharpen a chain like new power grinders work ok but loose their edge y faster than file sharpening and they dont get it as sharp either. your best bet to keep a chain sharp is to not really let it get dull touch them up often and then the should never relly require any in depth sharpening unless you hit dirt.....stay out of the dirt

Hey, thanks a bunch for just putting all of your knowledge into very understadable... (brain fart) I get what your saying.

Stupid dirt:chainsaw:

Thats why I moved up from the 16 to the 20, it's hard to hit dirt with the 16:)

I will very likely only need the full 20" once in a while but it will be nice to have.

Oh:dizzy: Bar care for 100 Alex... so the metal squished off to the sides of the chain guide should be filed back to original bar thickness or junk the bar? The 16" that came with the saw.

yeah you can file the spur or squished metal several times before a bar actually needs to be replaced they actually make a bar conditioner your run down the bar that does a perect job

well thanks again! used the new b/c combo today and i was very happy with how it cut and that the saw had no troubles with power:chainsaw:

These guys are all giving some great information. You will definitely get a longer service life, & a sharper chain by hand filing. As I am no expert myself on hand sharpening a chain, I thought I would mention you might want to try a file holding device which helps us newbies to keep the correct angle on the cutters. There are numerous varieties out there from every maker of chain, and alot from the saw makers. I prefer the Oregon brand filing vise myself, but any of them will assist in keeping the cutter angles consistent.

Back