Best chain for a 550 xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stgcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I usually run full chisel on my 16 inch bar. I think it balances well. All I've used was husky saw chain and was wondering if the stihl .335 was more aggressive. I do like there 3/8 rs chain on my 372xp.

I honestly don't find a big difference in stihl, Oregon or Carlton (once sharpened) in 325.
The Oregon might be a little smoother, the stihl might hold an edge a little longer, the Carlton is cheaper.....

As far as the 3/8 goes I wonder how well the 550 would handle 3/8 on a 16 inch bar?

lf you run 3/8 chain you have many more options than 325. Try finding a roll of fullskip square ground 325. And if your gauge is 050 you have even more chain options including lopro/picco chain. l love 325 chain but now l only run picco and standard 3/8 as it gets messy with lots of saws, pitches & gauges. And +1 on what weedkilla says.

I like 325 for limbing, beside the chipper, cutting multi stemmed rubbish, that sort of stuff. Anything smaller than about 6" and 325 is so much smoother than 3/8, and 3/8lp is a bit too easily knocked around for rough work.
Just my 2c, and probably not worth that.

l run 3/8 on my 550 and ported 261 but always remember how smooth and well suited 325 was on my last 261. lrrespective of cut times/durability ect l think 325 in 063 is the nicest chain on a 261. lt would be good if there were more chain options for 325 though.

Assuming you are using .058, 21LPX (H21) would be my choise (and is).

I run 25RSC/RS as well, but will only use up what I have. The LPX is just a little bit faster, and feels smoother.

Assuming you are using .058, 21LPX (H21) would be my choise (and is).

I run 25RSC/RS as well, but will only use up what I have. The LPX is just a little bit faster, and feels smoother.

I agree. And I would add that the Stihl .325 chain cut much less fast once half worn. Oregon .325 chain is good performing almost until the end.

I bought a loop of stihl rs to try. Threw it on today and it feels the same as the re-badged Oregon I get from the husky dealer.

Back