Best firewood saw for $600?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake C

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
As the title says. I have a budget of $600 to buy a saw and I just want to hear what you guys think would be the best firewood saw in this range. I was thinking MS290, 311, 391, or a husky 359. I figured i'd keep my eye on craigslist as well for any better used saws like an MS360 or something. Any input is appreciated.

Any brand restrictions (does it have to be Stihl?)

What size wood are you cutting?

$600 seems like a very healthy budget. I'd look for a used MS361 -- I think they run around $400... ??

For 350$ you can find a good clean used 359 husky and send it out to be ported and have one hell of a firewood saw. And you'll be in at or under 600$, I ran just a woods ported 359 last month, and it just had a ton of torque, liked the saw alot.

How about the 64 CC Mak/Dolly from Baileys

You could order some Labonville chaps and still stay under $600 delivered
on the order.

Thanks for the input all. I dont really have any brand restrictions, I would prefer Stihl or Husky though. The wood I'm going to be cutting will be anywhere from 8" to 36"+ doug fir, alder, maple. I want a saw that I can use for anything. Not to big but not underpowered. I'm kind of leaning towards a 360. I don't mind buying used if the saw's in good condition.

Thanks for the input all. I dont really have any brand restrictions, I would prefer Stihl or Husky though. The wood I'm going to be cutting will be anywhere from 8" to 36"+ doug fir, alder, maple. I want a saw that I can use for anything. Not to big but not underpowered. I'm kind of leaning towards a 360. I don't mind buying used if the saw's in good condition.

Also consider how much wood will you be cuttin' per season? Are you comfortable and competent to do most of your own maintenance and repairs? If so, a used saw might be a real good option. Will you be lugging the saw around a lot so that weight is an issue?

Right now you can buy a new Makita 6401 on sale for $475.00 with a 20" bar and chain and free shipping. It is a genuine pro saw, made by Dolmar in Germany. Its not perfect, but it is the absolute least expensive pro quality 4.7HP brand new and warranteed saw you will find. Also, if you get the 6401 and later find you want/need more power, you can buy an OEM or aftermarket drop-in P&C, nothing else has to be changed out on the saw, and for between an additional $120 and $185 have an 80cc saw with 6.3 HP.

Do you have additional funds for chains, files, storage cases, oils, etc or is $600 supposed to get it all done?

Do you have additional funds for chains, files, storage cases, oils, etc or is $600 supposed to get it all done?

I've already got alot of this kinda stuff around, maybe just need a couple extra chains and oil. And as far as how much I'm going to be cutting? As much as I can get my hands on. I'd love to try and do 10 cords a season or more. That may be a bit ambitious but well see.

I'm also fairly confident in making my own repairs. I haven't really worked on chainsaws but I'm fairly mechanically inclined. I know a fair amount of the basics. I've been working for an arborist for almost a year and have been firewood cutting with other people's saws for a couple more. I'm just looking to get a little extra income for the slow winter months. And if the rumors are to be believed this is gunna be one nasty winter. lol

If new, Id go with a 60cc saw - like the 361, which I believe can be had for close to that budget in the states.

If used, I would go with a 50cc & a 70cc.

I think there are good choices in all the major brands (stihl, husky, dolmar etc) but one thing I would suggest is getting both in the same brand. When it comes time to add more bars & chains it will be nice to keep it all interchangeable.

Just my 2¢ though.

I'm really leaning toward a 360 or 361 at this point. Theres nothing on local craigslist right now though.:mad: Its usually stuffed with em. Or I might always just go with a 290 and save the 200 for a good pair of boots. lol

If new, Id go with a 60cc saw - like the 361, which I believe can be had for close to that budget in the states.

If used, I would go with a 50cc & a 70cc.

I think there are good choices in all the major brands (stihl, husky, dolmar etc) but one thing I would suggest is getting both in the same brand. When it comes time to add more bars & chains it will be nice to keep it all interchangeable.

Just my 2¢ though.

Husky and Dolmar use the same bar mount and the bars are interchangeable. Stihl uses a different configuration.

Used 440 mag, I know I'll take a hit for this lightly used echo 670 or new 680(got a 670 used 3 times for 350) still have money left over for a nice 55 cc saw

Back