Best Firewood saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregon69

Reaction score
I recently read this forum to get advice on what saw to purchase and felt I should return the favor for the next guy. This is not to say Stihl is the best but more what size is the best. I will use Stihl as the example only because that is what is the most popular in my area.

I have owned a Stihl 026 for the last 10 years and managed to cut all the free firewood with it. The biggest I think I cut was four foot fir with a 20 inch bar. The idea is I could make the saw get the job done and it was unlikely I would ever cut something that large again.

However every couple of years someone would offer that big tree for free. I think I spent all day on some trees that my latest Stihl 441 would of taken in an hour.

So this winters storm got me 10 cords of fir mostly 20 inch size with some 24+ inches. I spent some time cutting with my son and things were going a little slow. I am real busy right now with work so I was thinking maybe a new saw would help (the Tim Allen was coming out also). The 460 is what I though I wanted but was also confused and maybe the 361 was all I needed. After reading this site I settled on the 441.

It is obvious the 441 is going to cut faster but weigh more and one is overkill and one is under powered...The way I was going to judge which saw was the better tool for the job was which saw I choose to use. Same as I never take what a guy who only owns one rifle says it is the best rifle for all game. He has nothing to compare it to. In this case I had two good running saws with new chains. The result is that I preferred to use the 441 95% of the time. Most of the time the 026 got used just for comparison cutting.

Here is how I felt after all 10 cords were cut...
If I had to buy only one saw the 361 with a 20 inch bar would be it.
I would get a 25 inch bar for the 361 for those big trees.
If I had two saws and I do the 441 and the 026 are great.
I think the 441 and 361 would also be great.
I like the 026 with a 20 inch bar but it can only pull 16 inch wood and below.
The 441 can pull all 25 inches with ease. It screams on 20 inch fir.
From what the 441 and 026 do I suspect the 361 would pull a 20 inch bar very well.
Having two saws is much more fun then just one.
The 33RSC3 chain works much better (2x faster) then the 33RMC3 on the 026.
The 026 works great when I need to pack a saw on the horse.
So if I had to do it all over again with the magic of knowing what I do now...
I would buy the 361 with a 20 and 25 inch bar.
I think the 361 would put lots of pressure on the need/want to get a 70cc saw.

Luckily I purchased the 50cc saw 10 years ago because that 441 I just purchased is lots of fun cutting.

Welcome aboard! :cheers:

Yep, the 026 and 441 sounds like a great combo. Someone will probably show up and blab on about the 441 is too fat, too slow, too heavy, too whatever. :cry: I say too bad.

If the 441 fills your need and makes you happy :) , then it is the right saw for you. Can't go wrong with a Stihl and their dealer network.

Oh, stick around and your "fleet" will grow. Leave now or you will get the "fever". But, it will be worth it. :cheers:

Joat

I recently read this forum to get advice on what saw to purchase and felt I should return the favor for the next guy. This is not to say Stihl is the best but more what size is the best. I will use Stihl as the example only because that is what is the most popular in my area.

I have owned a Stihl 026 for the last 10 years and managed to cut all the free firewood with it. The biggest I think I cut was four foot fir with a 20 inch bar. The idea is I could make the saw get the job done and it was unlikely I would ever cut something that large again.

However every couple of years someone would offer that big tree for free. I think I spent all day on some trees that my latest Stihl 441 would of taken in an hour.

So this winters storm got me 10 cords of fir mostly 20 inch size with some 24+ inches. I spent some time cutting with my son and things were going a little slow. I am real busy right now with work so I was thinking maybe a new saw would help (the Tim Allen was coming out also). The 460 is what I though I wanted but was also confused and maybe the 361 was all I needed. After reading this site I settled on the 441.

It is obvious the 441 is going to cut faster but weigh more and one is overkill and one is under powered...The way I was going to judge which saw was the better tool for the job was which saw I choose to use. Same as I never take what a guy who only owns one rifle says it is the best rifle for all game. He has nothing to compare it to. In this case I had two good running saws with new chains. The result is that I preferred to use the 441 95% of the time. Most of the time the 026 got used just for comparison cutting.

Here is how I felt after all 10 cords were cut...
If I had to buy only one saw the 361 with a 20 inch bar would be it.
I would get a 25 inch bar for the 361 for those big trees.
If I had two saws and I do the 441 and the 026 are great.
I think the 441 and 361 would also be great.
I like the 026 with a 20 inch bar but it can only pull 16 inch wood and below.
The 441 can pull all 25 inches with ease. It screams on 20 inch fir.
From what the 441 and 026 do I suspect the 361 would pull a 20 inch bar very well.
Having two saws is much more fun then just one.
The 33RSC3 chain works much better (2x faster) then the 33RMC3 on the 026.
The 026 works great when I need to pack a saw on the horse.
So if I had to do it all over again with the magic of knowing what I do now...
I would buy the 361 with a 20 and 25 inch bar.
I think the 361 would put lots of pressure on the need/want to get a 70cc saw.

Luckily I purchased the 50cc saw 10 years ago because that 441 I just purchased is lots of fun cutting.

Good post and no bashing from me. I have both of those saws and think they are the cat's meow!

Good comparison, but to liven things up, :greenchainsaw:
my idea of the BEST firewood saw is
the one that always starts. :chainsaw:

Rich S.:clap:

Arboristsite Quick Start Guide

Oregon,

To help get you up to speed, here's a QuickStart quide.

Newbee – you, someone new to the site.

Homeowner – someone who is not a full time cutter, feller, arborist, etc. who wants a pro quality saw for various reasons but could very well do with a lesser quality entry level saw.

AS – Arboristsite – an internet site where people congregate to show off their saws, to lust after the saws of others and to share chainsaw acquisition strategies.

GTG – get-to-gather, a place where homeowners gather in person to show off their saws, to lust after the saws of others and to share chainsaw acquisition strategies.

Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder – CAD, simply stated, Tim Allen takes a shine to chainsaws.

Collector – a type of super homeowner who can no longer even remotely justify chainsaw purchases to spouses and loved ones so the moniker “collector” can be used in mixed company to explain or hopefully dismiss the disorder (see CAD).

Troll, SawTroll, or ST – a Norwegian Army officer h3ll bent on waging combat with Stihl 029s, 290s and 441s. Often see quoting specs from European testing organizations and citing differences between “actual” and “manufacturer’s quoted” specs. Weigh, long bars, the above-mentioned Stihls and vibes or “wibes” can send any thread out of control.

Thall, Tom, Tommie – the Leesburg Stihl dealer that loves to separate your money from you in exchange for shinny new Stihl equipment.

Tepid Folgers – what Tommie uses to “grease the skids”.

Demi – Tommie’s girlfriend, or sometimes ex-girlfriend.

NewGuy – Tommie’s illegitimate son from an out-of-wedlock tryst while Tommie was in Florida. Example of where sometimes the orange DOES fall far from the tree.

Manual, Manny – antithesis to Tommie.

Woodie – AS class clown and Tommie’s archrival.

Lake, LakeSide – knows more about chainsaws than anybody on the planet, well, the whole universe. Very helpful.

OldSaw – Mark – Brilliant poster whose life is more than chainsaws. Conservative in politics.

Golblin, SAP – liberal in politics, way off to the left, loves to “tweak” the right side of the aisle.

Wall of Bars – where you keep your chainsaw bars about the time you attend your first GTG.

Silvey – grinder you buy after you are satisfied with your Wall of Bars organization.

Which saw is Best/Should I buy/ etc. – code word for a thread title where Stihl loyalists square off with Husky/Jonsered devotees.

Off-topic – AS thread with three or more posts.

Which oil should I thread – A way of getting Gary (Gasoline) to post.

Moderators or mods – people with a thankless job that keep everybody playing by the rules.

Darin Johnson – AS owner – K O O L.

Last edited:
Good comparison, but to liven things up, :greenchainsaw:
my idea of the BEST firewood saw is
the one that always starts. :chainsaw:

Rich S.:clap:

That would of been more of a cheer for Stihl and I was trying to be more size based.

But in the last 10 years I have only replaced the chains, one spark plug, one air filter. Just recently started using fuel stabilizer. The 026 would sit on the shelf with old fuel for months. In 10 years it has always started with a couple of pulls. Only other gas tools/engines I can rank this with is my Honda VFR800. My Honda generator and lawn mower does not start as good and I believe they are the best in their field (size class).

I think the MS361 is what you need to fill the gap between your 026 and 441. It has been well established fact on AS that the MS361 is the best saw ever built and can walk on water! LOL Seriously the 361 is a good saw and if I could only have one, that would be it.

You hit on the same combo (size-wise) that I did. I run a 440 with 24" or 28" bar and 350 with 16" bar. The 350 sort of replaced the 026, though I use both. The oaks I cut for firewood have lots of small limbs and twigs, the 350 takes care of those. Once the little stuff it out of the way and I've cleared the area around the main trunk and big limbs I switch to the 440. The 440 can cut the larger stuff soooo much faster than the 350 or 026! If I'm dealing with an older blow-down where the small stuff has broken off, I won't even bother with the 350, I'll go straight for the 440. I'm sure the 361 is a great saw but I don't see that it would be very useful for what I do. 50cc and 70cc is a good combo.
Dok

And the 660 will follow. But you will have to play with a 7900 and fall in love with the 5100, only after you find the old 346 wasn't what you were after. Then the 441 will have to get boxed and shipped, because, "well, after running the others, it just doesn't have the umph it used to". Then after attending a GTG, you got to run a piped 088 and well "THAT THING WAS JUST STUPID!!!! I HAD TO HAVE ONE!!!!!" Then, heaven forbide, you meet Romeo, and well...........................

The 45-50cc along with a 70-78cc combo is probably the ultimate firewood combo.

Yes you can go bigger. I have a buddy with an 064 that he uses for his large saw. But you have more weight and it might move your transition point to bigger wood from small to large saw.

My current set up is an Echo 3400 top handle and a 372xp. The 3400 has a 14" bar and I usually quit with it at around 6-8" depending on how I feel. Then up to the 372 w/ a 24" bar which makes quick work of everything else. I have ordered a 346xp to speed up the small end of the firewood work as a top handle is nice in a tree but is not as handy overall. Plus the 346 should have gobs more power than the Echo.

So another nod to the consensus.

Don

The 45-50cc along with a 70-78cc combo is probably the ultimate firewood combo.

Yes you can go bigger. I have a buddy with an 064 that he uses for his large saw. But you have more weight and it might move your transition point to bigger wood from small to large saw.

My current set up is an Echo 3400 top handle and a 372xp. The 3400 has a 14" bar and I usually quit with it at around 6-8" depending on how I feel. Then up to the 372 w/ a 24" bar which makes quick work of everything else. I have ordered a 346xp to speed up the small end of the firewood work as a top handle is nice in a tree but is not as handy overall. Plus the 346 should have gobs more power than the Echo.

So another nod to the consensus.

Don

Oregon,

Please note that Don is still in Stage One, trying to find the "perfect combo". Let's see here, it's December. Don, and you, will hit Stage Two about the time the lillies pop through in early spring.

Stage Two is where you "discover the gap" in your saw lineup.

Stage Three is where you "get a big saw" so you can have a little fun.

Stage Four is where you "go overboard" by getting a huge saw that is off the charts like an 880 or 3120. Some "homeowners" also get a secondary "low grade fever" and get a "limbing saw" like a 200T.

Stage Five is where "your lifestyle" is based on Timbersport events, CTGs. Usually a grinder is secured during this stage.

Stage Six is where you start "collectin' saws" because you long for the low end torque or grunt of the older saws. Collector has a less greasy "feel" and it's your last gasp a being a "regular" person.

Stage Seven is where you "deal with attorney's" from an ex and attempt to explain that you owned the saws before takin' up with the newly departed or that you sold your brother 37 chainsaws for $45 because you thought it was "fair market".

Stage Eight is where you get your first "bikesaw".

Stage Nine is where you get a "v-8 saw" and make your friends based on their ability to hold up their end of 600 lbs.

Stage Ten is where you "lustily gaze" and make no effort to hid the fact.

Have fun,

Joat

Last edited:
I cant speak for other saws than what I've personally ran.....but after having a husky 50 for years.....lots of firewood and small scale logging too feed our bandmill......I was pretty happy with it.....my uncle has a 038 stihl and I could run with it daily. I've ran husky 350,s and my the 455........I've ran older 330 homelite, and ancient clintons with 6 horse engines......036 husky and a newer 136. So I've ran a fair share of different sized saws. When I went searching......I wanted a firewood saw that was easy on my back, bigger than the 50 husky......and I wanted a pro model saw. I chose the 361 stihl.....and after a couple of weekends cutting with it.....(I've only filled the tank twice so far).......I absolutely love it! Although its still too big for limbing, I just fall back on the 036 or 136 husky for that chore.....but once I'm at 6" and larger....I pick up the 361 and its actually fun......the sad part is how fast you can turn a big tree into firewood......you really wish it would last longer!

I wish any of the saws including my new one would start as fast cold as the 330 homelite though...that was a really nice saw and started easier than any saw I've ever picked up.....2 crank anytime!

I will offer a few thoughts of my own. If I were going to own only one saw, it would be an 066 with a flush-cut handle. If I were going to own two saws, as I do at present, it would be the aforementioned 066, and a West Coast version of the same saw, with a factory wrap handle, and a REAL clutch cover. If I were going to add a third saw..... hmmm.... probably another 066 or three. But for a 'normal' person who wants just one saw, I have recommended an 044/440/441 more than once. Nice jump in power for a small bit of additional weight over the 036/360/361.

I still remember how it was to make my living with an 070. To me, an 066 is plenty light and very nimble in comparison.

Joatmon,

Actually I already have a MAXX grinder I bought Jsikkema the first time they got popular on the board. First saw was the 372, second was the 3400, third is an old power products saw from the 50's (not running), fourth will be a 346xp (just got my tracking # YEA!). So it looks like I have already broken the pattern some.

I am probably more likely to get a couple more old saws as I come by collecting honestly. My dad been collecting antique John Deeres since the 60's. I was eyeing an old two cylinder two man saw at a swap meet a couple years ago. I wasn't flush with cash at the time but it sure would be kind of fun to play with.

Don

Joatmon,

Actually I already have a MAXX grinder I bought Jsikkema the first time they got popular on the board. First saw was the 372, second was the 3400, third is an old power products saw from the 50's (not running), fourth will be a 346xp (just got my tracking # YEA!). So it looks like I have already broken the pattern some.

I am probably more likely to get a couple more old saws as I come by collecting honestly. My dad been collecting antique John Deeres since the 60's. I was eyeing an old two cylinder two man saw at a swap meet a couple years ago. I wasn't flush with cash at the time but it sure would be kind of fun to play with.

Don

Don,

I was talking Silvey grinder with square ground. But you're progressing nicely. Not trying to overload you here, but many "homeowners" have been in multiple stages at the same time.

Let the games begin,

Joat

Back