Best for cutting stumps ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reachtreeservi

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been using my 460 for stumping, I'm thinking about buying a 660 or a 880.
Before I move up , I'm curious about what other tree service guys use for their stumper ? Also what size bars do you find yourselves using the most ?

i mostly use two saws.

a 395xp with a 28" or 36" with stihl skip chain or a 372xp with a 24" bar and stihl RSC chain.

mostly the 395.my partner has a 3120 and my buddy has an 088,both are way more than needed around here 99.9% of the time. the 395 is faster than both of them also.660 should be more than enough for you.

It depends on what you usually cut down. If you are not in huge wood all the time the the big saw is not cost effective. Not to forget how fast those things go through gas.

I get a kick out of guys who have $1000 saws that get used maybe 3 or 4 times a month but complain that the GRCS is too pricey for them :laugh:

Skip chain is nice, because it will clean out better.
Don't use full chisel or square for stumps because it dulls faster.
The bigger saw needs heavier chain, try to keep your chain gauge down.

I have a 385 with full-skip, semi-chisel on it with a 32 inch bar. It is nice to be able to run through the cut fast, but it is a pain to sharpen, even half comp.

I did a 4 foot bar a few times, that was full comp. Never want to work on that again, it seems like it never ends.

3120, round chisel, 36" bar for the big stumps. The 385 gets most others done with a 28" bar.

i use 50 gauge on all my saws.never have a problem.

stumping is not often enough.i use it for ripping large firewood.gas doesn't bother me,i keep the truck close to the saw.

372 with 28" bar Oregon 72JGX skiptooth works just fine for me. Getting the new saw soon goin with 385XP probably use the same on that or get a longer bar with same style chain.

Best stumping chainsaw? For me Stihl 070, 090. Big chainsaws, big torque and more resistent than the modern chainsaw (and more weight, of course).

Stumping

I always borrow a buddy's saw for stumps. Any-buddy's saw but mine. Just tell them you gotta saw up some firewood. Works out nice. Then you don't worry about shoving the chain in the dirt. Return it when they aren't home. Thank them on the answering machine. Don't answer your phone for a few days. All is right with the world.

I always borrow a buddy's saw for stumps. Any-buddy's saw but mine. Just tell them you gotta saw up some firewood. Works out nice. Then you don't worry about shoving the chain in the dirt. Return it when they aren't home. Thank them on the answering machine. Don't answer your phone for a few days. All is right with the world.

Another reason, i dont let people borrow my tools.

I use a 460 w/32" bar. Like JPS said, try to stay at .050 or you'll need more power to cut a wider kerf. I like a harder chain like woodsman pro (Baileys WPL 30RCS) as it seems to stay sharp a little longer.

I use a 460 w/32" bar. Like JPS said, try to stay at .050 or you'll need more power to cut a wider kerf. I like a harder chain like woodsman pro (Baileys WPL 30RCS) as it seems to stay sharp a little longer.

How does your 460 pull a 32'' ???

I use a 046 mag with a 36inch bar. It's really to much bar. It does pretty well in the soft wood but it's pretty slow in the hard stuff. Not sure of the chain it has what it came with. It's getting ready to get a new one and I'm going to go with a skip chain. The saw only gets used with a 36inch bar.

Scott

I bought a 880 for milling purposes last winter. Before that my biggest saw was a 046. For 4 or 5 months I left the 88 on my alaskan mill. I thought it would be too heavy for everyday use. Early this summer I had a large stump to cut so I slapped a 30 inch bar on and went at it. It blew me away, its wasn't difficult to handle and it really makes big wood seem small. I now use it for almost all my stumps and trunk wood. The weight of the saw I don't find to be an issue, its not like your going to limb with it. Its much better to have a 24 inch or less bar on your 441 or 460 and then step up to a 660 or 880 with a 30 inch+ bar. Its all about having the right tool for the right job. I'm only in the tree biz part time and can't imagine a full time tree service without a big saw.

Nice...

Ya i have a 20'' and a 25'' for my 441 and it rips with either bar on it...

but i would love to have a 660...for stumps and larger trees.

I bought a 880 for milling purposes last winter. Before that my biggest saw was a 046. For 4 or 5 months I left the 88 on my alaskan mill. I thought it would be too heavy for everyday use. Early this summer I had a large stump to cut so I slapped a 30 inch bar on and went at it. It blew me away, its wasn't difficult to handle and it really makes big wood seem small. I now use it for almost all my stumps and trunk wood. The weight of the saw I don't find to be an issue, its not like your going to limb with it. Its much better to have a 24 inch or less bar on your 441 or 460 and then step up to a 660 or 880 with a 30 inch+ bar. Its all about having the right tool for the right job. I'm only in the tree biz part time and can't imagine a full time tree service without a big saw.

Good post juicemang, sound advice. I've been trying to decide between the 660 or the 880. I think I'll save up a few more bennies and get the 880.
It's quite a bit more, but at least i won't ever have to worry about not having enough power , and I'll be able to run as big a bar as it takes ! So far, every time I had to choose between compromising to cut cost and or doing it right, I've had a job come in unexpectedly and been able to afford to go big or do it right. Like you said " Its all about having the right tool for the right job. "

:chainsawguy:

Good post juicemang, sound advice. I've been trying to decide between the 660 or the 880. I think I'll save up a few more bennies and get the 880.
It's quite a bit more, but at least i won't ever have to worry about not having enough power , and I'll be able to run as big a bar as it takes ! So far, every time I had to choose between compromising to cut cost and or doing it right, I've had a job come in unexpectedly and been able to afford to go big or do it right. Like you said " Its all about having the right tool for the right job. "

:chainsawguy:

Def. all about the right tool for the job...and if you have the 460 for smaller stuff...

good luck with it...

the 880 is just heavy....

Back