Best Husky setup under

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Whats the best Husky setup for under $500? I posted last week asking about the 351. Talked to my local Husky dealer over the phone and he said for cutting 10-12 cord of oak and cherry (felling, limbing, blocking) would be too much for the 351 with an 18" bar and 34lg chain. So, now that I only wish to get one saw to last me 10 years, I looked at the 359 and 357XP. My dealer said the 359 was $459 and the 357XP at $499. He recommended 18" bars. Didn't say anything about chain. I just don't want to get the 351, and wish I had bought more saw. Of course, we all wish that. Is the 351 capable of putting out 10-12 cord without too much labor, or should I get the bigger saw? Also what is the best setup for these three models? Don't want to spend all day fighting with an underpowered saw.

Thanks,

Thumper

10-12 cords isnt that much. Cripe Wendel Hollis does that every day with his Jonsy. How big are these trees? The 351 will swing an 18" all day with no problems. And I use 34LG and like it pretty well. Give me some info on the trees you are cutting and I can help you more. Based on what you have said the 357XP is an awesome saw but if you are going to do 12 cords and put it away it is a waste. Are you going to do 12 cords every 6 months, 12 a year?

grind your teeth and get the best saw that husky makes IMHO, the 372xp - you can get one from madsens1.com or alamia.com for about $550 delivered. if $500 is the absolute limit get the 357xp. none of the saws are "underpowered" smaller saws just demand a different cutting style (ie slower and different chain) but that doesn't mean you cant fell all but the biggest trees if you dont mind taking longer - i tend to agree with your dealer about the bars for the saws you mentioned - 18" is a good allrounder. if you do go with the 372xp - get a 24" its like a marriage made in heaven although if you only use one saw 20" may be more appropriate. happy cutting with your new saw whatever it may be.:D always remember to get more power than you need - if you are going to use your saw only a couple times and its going to lay in your garage - get a 55 and forget all i said....:angel:

Last edited:
The trees I cut are mostly dead standing on state land, permit type stuff. They are white oak, red oak, cherry, and ash. Most stuff is probably not larger than 24" diameter, with most being 12-20" diameter. I like the 351 over the 55 just for lower vibration, as I have hand problems. I haven't used either, but many friends have the 55 Rancher and love them. I just want a lower vibration saw than the 55R or 55, but with equal power and weight. I don't want to spend $500 if a $350 351 will fit the bill. I have a small Fisher wood stove I use to help heat the house, but may ge a bigger stove with more BTU's as I have to keep the little Fisher working all the time. So I may end up cutting 15 cord a year max. Besides, any more than than is too much work for my tight schedule.

Thanks for all the help.

Thumper

If you are going to be doing this again and again then go for the 357XP. You could get away with a 55 (the.325 has much less vibration than the 55R's 3/8 chain) but the 357 is the Cadillac of less then 4 cubic inch saws in my opinion and you will be allset for a long time. Since you have hand problems look into some safety low kickback type chains. Even though they cut a little slower you will be better off in the long run. I would contact Oregon chain directly and talk to a rep.

Well Huskyman I don't know about 10 - 12 cords, but certainly 5 or so lately per day and then some. :D Hey Thumper something else to consider in choosing a bar length. A -- does it balance the saw? B -- how tall are you, will a shorter bar make you stoop over all day to an uncomfortable position? :eek: Hey Tundra a 24" on a 372 would be a screamer, but do you hunch over to cut?? On my Jonsey 2065 I use 28" I can stand up and cut very nicely and the saw is balanced well for limbing or bumping.

Hark ! I hear more log trucks comming -- Must Saw :D

howdy wendell - the 24 really feels good on the 372 - just right! i dont feel that i have the same accuracy with a longer bar. im 6' and i can saw logs on the ground if im careful - but i normally bend down a little to reduce the risk of touching the ground. if i get tired i do just stand up and cut with the tip and just use my arms more.

the cutting is the fun part for me - its the moving and splitting the logs that really sucks - i wish i could just saw all day and sell the firewood without having to move split and stack....:D

for the small limbing i use the 136 but i must admit that i increasingly just keep going with the 372 - its just so much faster that its hard to put down.

HI
It always amazes me about what people use in different areas.It seems the farther west you go,the longer the bars get.Here in Pa.most of our logger's use 20" bars,and 372 Husky's with a few 288s and 394s but still use the 20" bars.
I realize that our timber is not as large as the western soft stuff but we do have some of the nicest oak, and cherry in the US.The husky seems to rule here with the loggers,they claim what they save in repairs a year from running the Husky over the Stihls,they can buy a new husky and be ahead of the game.I always use a 20" while felling and bucking,I am not that old yet that I cant bend over and I dont like the extra weight of the 24.
Last year I put in a logging road up one of the steepest mountains around here.It was to steep for any skidder and had prime timber so they brought in a chopper and a crew from out west.These boys all used big stihls with the 40 feet bars and full wrap handles.I worked a lot on that job with the forester and one very fussy land owner,as to where the road went and what trees to remove.I had to take down more than a few grade red oaks for the road.I must have impressed someone because I was offered a job with the logging co.I was between large jobs so I said I could work for them for about 3 weeks.They stuck me on the landing cutting logs apart.That da*n chopper only carried about 5 to 6 trees at a time but he was fast and I had to work to keep up with him.Things went well for about 2 days.That's when I was approached be the maddest forester and land owner that I have ever seen.They said I was to go with them and show these guys how to cut timber.When we got to where they were cutting I could see why they where so upset.Most of the nice grade timber was split and the stumps where about 4 feet off the ground.I really couldn't blame the cutters,they had never cut timber with a Y on the tree an I guess they always cut the stumps up that high.After some very hot and heavy discussions we came to a agreement,they could still use there 40 foot bars but they had to remove the full wrap handles so they could get closer to the ground.I was always taught that for every inch at the stump comes out to a foot at the top so why waist the good stuff.I never could talk them into trying a shorter bar but the timber did get better the longer they cut.
Interesting if you look at the pictures from our northern friend John most of the saws that he uses have a 20" bar.I am really not trying to talk anyone into changing what they use,just stating it has a lot to do with your area.
Most of the time I just sit here and read and never post but this is one of my favorite sites.I really just hate typing.
John where are you actually located at.I spent 5 weeks this spring in Alaska,circle,Yukon.I did see in one of you posts about Kamloops.I was there,is that far from you.It was interesting to watch the black spruce get shorter the farther north you go.
While I am in the typing mood I have some questions about port timing for Ken,can you please email me.I did try to look at the link you posted once but I never did find it.I just ordered a new 357 and I want to port it.But the timing part still has be a little confused.I am not to stupid,I did work as a mechanic for 25 plus years.The 357 is for my 14 year old son,he has been complaining that his Jonsered 2050 doesn't have any power.Yea I know what you all are thinking,he is only 14.Well this boy has ran saws,dozer,backhoe since he was 12.If you give that boy a 026 or a 028 in a box that little **** can make you a complete saw faster then I can,but I wont tell him that.
I hope all of you out there have some very happy holidays.Its always a pleasure to read your posts.
Dan

Hey Thumper you dont need to fight with the 351......just buy an oregon file and sharpen the chain......lessens the fight

hey dan-
give your son one of you dozen or so 026/028's that you have. that outta keep him happy for a while. hell i have been cutting with my dad since i was 13. and then the first saw i ran was a homelite 330. I thought it had loads of power untill i started to get some bigger homelites. and then they put that little 330 to shame.

Hi Andrew
I picked up my 357 today,Husky must have them in stock now,it only took 4 day to get here from the time I ordered it.With the 16" bar,it comes out 1/2" shorter from bar tip to the end of the rear handle then the 026s.These things are a real joy to run,will out cut any stock 036 and no vibration.
I am running low of the 026s,I only have 3 left and about 5 028s,2 are supers,they dont hold a candle to the 357.
If you are ready to get rid of your 031 from hell,bring it down and I will send you home with a running Zip.I think it has your name left on it.
Dan

Back