Best Penetrating Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diesel fuel. It doesn't smell as good as some others but it travels just as well and won't hurt the bluing.

I would take the barrel off of the shotgun and hold the choke end in a small pot of heated fuel oil. Pull it out once in awhile and hit it a few times with a rubber mallet. It will loosen up.
When you get it out, lube it with graphite instead of gun oil.

If this does not work you will need to call him in close and shoot him in the head with #4 steel

Diesel fuel. It doesn't smell as good as some others but it travels just as well and won't hurt the bluing.

I would take the barrel off of the shotgun and hold the choke end in a small pot of heated fuel oil. Pull it out once in awhile and hit it a few times with a rubber mallet. It will loosen up.
When you get it out, lube it with graphite instead of gun oil.

If this does not work you will need to call him in close and shoot him in the head with #4 steel

I have had it soaking in PB as that is all I had on hand. No dice yet. Will try something else if it doesn't budge by tomorrow.

I have a box of 1 7/8 oz nitro mag #4's :D

PB should get in there. Don't forget the rubber mallet to vibrate it in.
Just don't use anything that claims to dissolve rust as gun blue is a form of rust.
( I will never forget the proud moment that I put Navel Jelly on my dads Browning to clean some surface rust off before he saw it . . . turned the barrel a pretty shade of silver)

Thank you all!

This is actually to remove a stuck choke tube from my shotgun. Darn thing got wet duck hunting and I forgot to oil the tube when I cleaned the rest of the gun.

I need to get the modified tube out so I can put the extra full in for turkey hunting.
You do not need a big soak bath for a choke tube. PB blaster has the good chance of penetrating a lightly rusted with potential galling situation. If it were a different situation with severe rust, then Kroil might get the vote but use whatever you have. Let it sit overnight, muzzle down, in a soup can with about a half inch of PB in it. Also wet the choke/barrel junction that is about 3" inside the barrel before placing it in the can overnight. Clamp the barrel in a padded vise at the magazine lug and get a helper to apply CCW wrench pressure to the choke while you gently propane torch heat the outside of the barrel about 2" down from the muzzle. If that won't pop it loose, you have a problem. You might try several heat-cool cycles to see if that will break the frozen joint...heat until too warm to leave your hand on it (around 150) then cool with a shot of PB or your favorite penetrating spray to the inside of the choke tube. That will cool the choke tube first and pull more oil into the threads each cycle.

This is a choke that has an external extension. The good thing is it's easier to get a channel lock on. The bad thing is the barrel muzzle is sorta sealed off because the external part of the tube is wider than the barrel. We have it soaking in PB and will give it another try tonight.

It's just an aftermarket modified choke in there currently (replacement cost $32) so I don't really worry about destroying it if needed. But the barrel of course is worth more.

PB should get in there. Don't forget the rubber mallet to vibrate it in.
Just don't use anything that claims to dissolve rust as gun blue is a form of rust.
( I will never forget the proud moment that I put Navel Jelly on my dads Browning to clean some surface rust off before he saw it . . . turned the barrel a pretty shade of silver)
EVAPO RUST is out of question then.

The better brand penetrating oils are your best option in this situation since they have the smallest hydrocarbon chains of the products mentioned. Most any of the recommendations will work on rusted items, bolts, nuts, bars, etc. because they are penetrating a porous encrusted rust which is like an open sponge. You on the other hand, have to penetrate a tight metal to metal fit with much tighter tolerances than even a high grade NF nut and bolt has. My money is still on the judicial use of heat coupled with your favorite spray penetrant for multiple cycles to work it loose.

Thank you all!

This is actually to remove a stuck choke tube from my shotgun. Darn thing got wet duck hunting and I forgot to oil the tube when I cleaned the rest of the gun.

I need to get the modified tube out so I can put the extra full in for turkey hunting.

Reducteur H-72, it's a super releasing agent in a spray can, the stuff really does work

recently i couldn't get a phillips head out of a snap on extension for a drill driver, she was fused in
a few squirts of this and she popped out!

Latest posts

Back