Best saw period

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not just in spite of the dissing of you-folk, my Jenn Feng ("McC") 1435. 14" b&c, 35 cc. Cost next-to-nothing, has proven stone-reliable for 6 yrs, quickly became my go-to saw for whatever its bar could reach through. Quiet, low-vibes, maneuverable, fuel-efficient. Kinda like a sophisticated Wild-Thang.

Next in line, for the same reasons, PoulanPro 5020AV. (Don't need any really big iron here, not on the clock.)

Then there'd be the O&R (Advanced, also badged for Ford) 1.34 cid gear-drive because of its powers as a conversation-piece. Certainly not as a working tool. Take it home and watch it grow.

Photo0388.jpg

10X series McCulloch preferably a 70 to 82cc version.

Stihl MS361.

Likely the Stihl with the greatest potential, as it is their only 4 transfer non-strato - but still likely not.

The story is that the prototype was too close to the 440, so it was detuned before serial production, to not eat into 440 sales - I have no idea if the story is true though - just a nice story! :hmm3grin2orange:

Likely the Stihl with the greatest potential, as it is their only 4 transfer non-strato - but still likely not.

The story is that the prototype was too close to the 440, so it was detuned before serial production, to not eat into 440 sales - I have no idea if the story is true though - just a nice story! :hmm3grin2orange:

I can't confirm or deny the story.
What I do know for absolute certain is that I saw a REALLY nicely ported one that ran great get its tail kicked by a STOCK Dolmar 6400!
I can provide witness names:hmm3grin2orange: if necessary.

Mike

I can't confirm or deny the story.
What I do know for absolute certain is that I saw a REALLY nicely ported one that ran great get its tail kicked by a STOCK Dolmar 6400!
I can provide witness names:hmm3grin2orange: if necessary.

Mike

Something was wrong with that 361 then - and the 6400 engine isn't worth working with, according to my brother, because of its bad basic cylinder porting (he has one, in pieces at the moment).

Back