Best Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmersfirewood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What is the best saw you have had or run in terms of reliability, cutting ability,etc.

The best cutting saw I have ever run that was mine was my 028 (in wood that was 14-16 inches), that was someone else's a 372xp.

Most reliable is my 038 or 041, 2 pulls cold w/choke 1 warm.

Hands down it would be a McCulloch PM610. 25+ years of cutting on it now and yet it always starts easily, oils perfectly, and runs with no complaints. This saw has not had one problem during its lifetime other than a few normal maintenance items (bar, chain, sprocket). I have heard some opinions on this forum not very favorable of these saws, but you can't argue with the servive life this one has given.

a eacho chain saw

i have each chainsaw for five yeas now it nearer has bookend on me
and it was my step dads
beefer he gave it to me and Had it for 20 years and never breakdown on him

My Stihl MS290 hasn't given me a lick of trouble in as long as I've owned it. The reports of the 290's track record for service tends to validate my experiences. Sure, it isn't a 7hp saw, but it works consistently.

All the Echo top handles I've owned have also given excellent performance, even in spite of neglect and/or abuse.

Still don't have enough time on with 7900 to reach a conclusion on that saw, though it has been a pleasure to use up to this point.

Most reliable saws: Homelite XL12/Super XL, Mcculloch 10-10, Poulan 3400-3800, Jonsered 49sp, Partner R16 base saws.

I couldn't tell you much about best cutting becuase I usually cut with the junk that I can't sell :laugh:

Based on customer's opinions. Stihl 026, 028, 038, 044, 051, 066. Those are the favorites around here. Husky 372 and 272 as well.

retoocs555 said:
Most reliable saws: Homelite XL12/Super XL, Mcculloch 10-10, Poulan 3400-3800, Jonsered 49sp, Partner R16 base saws.

I couldn't tell you much about best cutting becuase I usually cut with the junk that I can't sell :laugh:

QUOTE]

Well if all that Homelite, Poulan, Mac 'junk' cuts what you need to cut I guess it isn't all that bad now, is it? If the end result is cut wood, then what you used to cut it with isn't really junk.;)

JPP said:
retoocs555 said:

QUOTE]

Well if all that Homelite, Poulan, Mac 'junk' cuts what you need to cut I guess it isn't all that bad now, is it? If the end result is cut wood, then what you used to cut it with isn't really junk.;)

:confused: Not sure I follow what you're saying. Based on the fact that I work on old chainsaws all day those are the models that seem to stand up to decades of abuse and cut many, many, many cords of firewood.

The saws that I cut with are pretty much either ones that are really ugly from abuse, jb weld and duct tape, or the ones with no name recognition. Currently my favorite saw is an Olympyk 970 which is awesome, way better than 'junk' they're just hard to sell because everybody wants husky or stihl.

I almost didn't post on this thread because its a topic thats been disscussed many times before but I've been formulating my list of durable classic saws and I wanted to share :)

Most reliable saw

Hands down to my Stihl 028WB. Never had a problem that could not be taken care of. Smooth performance, easy starting, easy on the ears.The saw is as reliable as democrats crying, and higher taxes.Ken

palmersfirewood said:
What is the best saw you have had or run in terms of reliability, cutting ability,etc.

The best cutting saw I have ever run that was mine was my 028 (in wood that was 14-16 inches), that was someone else's a 372xp.

Most reliable is my 038 or 041, 2 pulls cold w/choke 1 warm.

The 038's seem to run forever as do the 028's. As for cutting ability I'd have to say the 046/MS460 Stihl is about as fast a stock saw out there for its size. As for lasting though I'd have to say the 028 is top dog. Reason I say that is I see them all the time and people that have owned them for years and years swear by them. As for me personally I too join the 028 crowd. Not the most powefull saw by no means but for lasting I think it's in a class all by itself. Just too many people swear by them to say anything less.

i have very limited saw experience. i only own 2 saws.

i own a wildthing (bought before i knew any better), and i also own a 260pro.

guess which i like better.,..

My fave is the 372xp. I'd really like to get to know a modded version, as I've only run/owned the stock saw. What a great piece of equipment. I'd go as far as to call it an essential saw for the professional. 24" bar is the way to go on that dude. After that, the MS200T (16" bar). And then the 395xp w/32" bar. On a somewhat similar note, you'd have to GIVE me an 880. Thoroughly UNIMPRESSED with this saw.

I've got an older Jonsered(s) 49SP, this saw is as relible as gravity. It is slower than almost everything elsei I own so it doesn't get much use anymore but if I were going to be on "Survivor" and I could take one luxury item, it'd be the 49SP.

Gearhead1 said:
Hands down it would be a McCulloch PM610. 25+ years of cutting on it now and yet it always starts easily, oils perfectly, and runs with no complaints. This saw has not had one problem during its lifetime other than a few normal maintenance items (bar, chain, sprocket). I have heard some opinions on this forum not very favorable of these saws, but you can't argue with the servive life this one has given.

I would have to agree with the 610. My experience is like yours, starts easy, oils good and just plain did everything it was supposed to for many years for the cost of chains and bars, fuel and bar oil and a plug or two. 610 saws were sold by that pallet at midwest farm stores and I don't remember slightly used returns piling up like saws do at Lowes today. Even our little local Mac dealer kept 4-5 610s in stock at all times and for the number sold there was never many sitting in the repair line. I have a buddy who buys them up at farm sales and unless the have been run over by something they start, run and do everything they did when new. Mine was the victim of an unhitched trailer at 45 MPH after cutting a train load of firewood over the years but I resurrected it last year with parts from my 610 buddy and we cut firewood with it last fall. It's still ugly, it's loud and it's heavy for it's power as compared to my 036 but it will still put a lot of wood in the truck in short order. I would agree that of the saws I have experience with its by far the most maligned saw on this page. As pops would say, Give 'em an anvil and watch'em destroy it too.

Back