Best size wood for OWB?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel4JohnnyB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,
So, what is the 'best' size wood to go into my heatmor?
My dimensions are:
Firebox Width 28"
Firebox Length 24"
Firebox Height 42"
Firebox Door Size 20" x 18"

I'm sure I can get 24" wood IN there but is it wise to have my wood cut at that length?

Also, what is a good size "around" or "across"? :dizzy:

I have to be able to get it in there. And I sure don't want to be smashing my hands every-time I throw a piece of wood in there.

So what size wood does everyone use?
Thanks!

I cut mine 20 inches long

And split it to where I can barely pick it up by the end with one hand.

I cut mine at 24" for the 30" depth firebox. The bigger the piece of wood the longer it will burn. Don't kill yourself but make it to the size that is "comfortable" for you.:givebeer:

I would agree at the most being 20" as you don't want to jamb it in. Full rounds will last longer as long as you can handle them.

Last edited:
the most important thing is getting it to fit tru the door. if your planning on self sufficiency the lenght thing will sort itself out real quick when you start splitting it.

My firebox is about 4 ft deep but I cut my wood at whatever length makes it manageable to pick up without splitting if possible. Could be anywhere from 12" to 3 ft. Don't injure your back, I have to be careful with mine. :cheers:

My box is quite a bit longer than yours but I like dead elm about 4 inches in diameter, 4 feet long.

My box is 44" deep so I cut everything 20" and put it in 2 deep. I don't split anything I can lift and stuff in.

I found it good to have some variety - for when I want a long burn - so I can really fill it up.

Sometimes if all you have is really large logs - you can't get enough in !

On my Central boiler the stack is located at the back of the unit as opposed to the top like some. I find if I keep the fire to the front of the large baffle I lose less heat up the stack. I used to burn long slabs and would get the flamethrower effect at times. Still getting 12 hr burn times no problem and using less wood.

Last edited:
I cut mine 20 to 24" for my 36" firebox. The back row laid east to west and another front row laid north to south. Size is dependent on what I can lift, and that seems to get smaller as i get older...:)

I cut mine about 2 foot long, have a 4 foot deep burning chamber but like to keep it towards the back to as the flue exits out the front part of the burner. Seems to be more efficient this way

Latest posts

Back