best small homeowner/firewood saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Price

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am considering an ms200--used, to pricey new. Saw is used for hunt camp, firewood mostly. I have a Poulan now 33cc, leaks like crazy but for the most part it is OK. I see 011 av now and then cheap but it will prob. leak also. I need light, small for camp purpose but a little more power. This leaking thing is a pain in the ass. I want a quality saw that I can maintain and rebuild as nec., suggestions?

Husqvarna 350

If you can find a Husky 350 you will be a happy man. Those saws have been discontinued in the US to satisfy the EPA, but you might be able to find one. I have 2 and love them for limbing and bucking small stuff.

There are several brand new Husqvarna 350's on evilbay for $269, heck of a deal for a great saw.

Scott

I am considering an ms200--used, to pricey new. Saw is used for hunt camp, firewood mostly. I have a Poulan now 33cc, leaks like crazy but for the most part it is OK. I see 011 av now and then cheap but it will prob. leak also. I need light, small for camp purpose but a little more power. This leaking thing is a pain in the ass. I want a quality saw that I can maintain and rebuild as nec., suggestions?

What is your Poulan leaking? Gas or oil?

I'd suggest a ms250 used, or a Husqvarna 345 or 350 also used.

**edit**
Also, I have a Craftsman 36cc saw that would be compatible with your bar and chain that has nothing wrong with it. I'd let it go cheap. I'm trying to thin out my current saws so I can get some new project saws.

Last edited:
Considering everyone is suggesting saws bigger then what you mentioned. I'm going to stay in your specified size range and suggest a Stihl MS180.
With proper care it will last a long time.

For a small saw they offer the most bang for the buck.I've never met anyone who has regretted buying one.

price range

It might help if we know what the price range you are really after!

I am not price sensative, I just want a saw that doesn't leak all over the place, is small and light. All I use it for is cutting firewood and taking to Elk camp. I rarely cut anything over 8-10 inches thick. Also, I love to work on stuff, I am always rebuilding snowmobile engines--sooo if I find a good older saw that needs an over haul that is ok too. One suggestion was a Husky 435, I kind of like that one. With all the manufacturing going to China, are the new Sthils and Huskys going that way--I tend to be more interested in older stuff since it seems to be better build. The 011 AV may work also but I think the oiler works on a pressure system and will probably leak, not to mention parts. As you can see, I am just look for answers in an area I know little about. Thanks for your help.

you don't say what your saw is leaking, but if its oil you may want to check your bar. Not just the grove but the mounting surface as well needs to be clean. Also the thin metal plate that fits over the bar mounting studs may have chips behind it.I understand if you want anouther saw, I have 14, but it may be easy to fix the one you have even if you get a new one.

MS200 is a great little saw -- for a professional climber. I know it comes in a rear handle but I've yet to see one in a Stihl shop and I think finding a clean used rear handle may be a bit of a long shot. If the question is best small saw for any price, the MS200 may well be it. Otherwise, the question becomes what is the best small saw for $XXX, and "small" needs to be defined. From the question it doesn't sound like the saw will be worked to death, so the requirement that it be rebuildable may not be as important as you think. If it is, though, and the MS200 is too expensive, Redmax makes a nice small saw with pro construction.

Jack

Latest posts

Back