Best Splitting Axe - Opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentS

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need to get a new splitting axe. The one I have is a piece of garbage, I think I got it at the hardware store years ago. The head is loose and I've seen spoons with a sharper edge (sharpening doesn't really help, it doesn't hold an edge for long). I read a couple posts talking about the Fiskars & Stihl splitting axes. Both seem to be nice. I also did some looking online and found a few other European models (Granfors & Oxhead). I get the feeling that all of them would be ok, a huge improvement over what I have. The Fiskars appear to be the least expensive of the bunch, although I'm not sure how I feel about a fiberglass/plastic/whatever handle..........the Gransfors & Oxhead axes were the most expensive. Any input would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks Guys-
Brent

I bought the Fiskars Super from the Bailey's sale this past fall. By the way, it is on sale there again.... It is great, I love it.

Prior to this, I've always used a regular double-bit axe. I still do, love it as well.

So, now I use both, though the Fiskar's is used about 80% of the time. It does work better than the axe. Well, not for those pieces you want to come out maybe 2 or 3 inches, but splitting rounds, it winds hands-down.

I haven't used any of the others, but my expectation would be that any of the better-known ones will probably work about as well as any other. I did try a fiberglass-handled maul for a couple years, got it at Lowe's or somewhere and it did not work near as well as the axe or the Fiskars.

By the way, the Fiskars seems to be pretty much unbreakable. I hope not to test this idea, but after three months I am sold on it. The $39 sale price convinced me to try it, glad it did.

Last edited:
I have a Fiskars splitting maul and 2 Gransfors maul. 1 large and 1 small.

Don't be put off by the cheaper price of the Fiskars. I use the Fiskars much more than the Gransfors. Cant fault it really.

I have split hundreds of cords of wood with this maul and another just like it with a fiberglass handle. This one is 7 pounds with a 30" handle, the other is 6 pounds with a 26" fiberglass handle. I don't know the names of them I got them at Farm and Fleet, just generic mauls, but they work for me. The wood handle has less hand shock. I have heard all good things about the Fiskars, but never tried one yet. I usually burn Red Oak which splits easy with a maul. I now have 1.5 miles of Osage (hedge) the farmer said I can have. That called for a splitter:dizzy: so I broke down and bought one, it will even make a 30 ton splitter grunt, but it burns great.

arrowheadpioneer

Those are all good axes also look at helko. The fiskars handles are very durable I would not worry about them breaking. But they are short to split with and carry vibrations to your hands very well. Have you used a maul that is what I like to split with most of the time. If you can justify the price I would buy the granfor burks. But I have not used them all.The granfors just seems the best quality.

I love my Gränsfors splitting axe and my splitting maul, i had a couple of Fiskars before but in my opinion they are no were near as nice to work with as the Gränsfors axes !!!!

Go with the Gränsfors and you will be happy they cost a bit since they are handmade but they are well worth the money !!

I use my large splitting axe most of the time it handle most of the wood i split and the splitting maul makes short work of the larger gnarly pieces the other one does´nt handle :)

Good luck !!

I recently received for Christmas a Craftsman 6 LB maul and have used it some. It seems to be better at splitting than my axe, because of the extra weight, I suppose.

I ordered a Fiskars Super Splitter maul last week, and it will be delivered on the brown truck tomorrow. I enjoy splitting wood and mostly bought the Fiskars axe because of all the positive reviews that I've read here on AS. Can't wait to try it out.

I use a Fiskars splitting axe and I love it. I just touch it up regularly like I do with my saw chain and its the best splitting axe I have used nice feel, super sharp, and super durable, cant really go wrong with the fiskars and it seems most agree. PS be careful with the fiskars, i sliced my thumb the first day I got it:dizzy:.

Last edited:
I'm very partial to the Gransfors Large Splitting Axe. Absolutely superb tool. There is very little a maul can handle that the LSA can't.

(They also make a maul, which I haven't used. If it's anything like their axes, it would be the King of Mauls!)

-=[ Grant ]=-

I just recently got a Fiskars. Highly recommend it! Splits better than my old, much heavier maul.

I love my Gränsfors splitting axe and my splitting maul, i had a couple of Fiskars before but in my opinion they are no were near as nice to work with as the Gränsfors axes !!!!

Go with the Gränsfors and you will be happy they cost a bit since they are handmade but they are well worth the money !!

I use my large splitting axe most of the time it handle most of the wood i split and the splitting maul makes short work of the larger gnarly pieces the other one does´nt handle :)

Good luck !!

Which Fiskars axes did you use?

Anybody have a photo of the 14" hachet with or/in the carrying case or sheath??? I like to carry a small hachet to get the saw out of a bind and I might like the little fiskar, but want to see what the carrying case looks like, and I can't find a photo of it.

thanks,

Sam

Need a photo of the carrying case or sheath, because I like to keep it on a belt and use it for hacking out the chainsaw bar or smacking in wedges.

Thanks,

Sam

I like this Axe/Maul. It sometimes gets stuck in the big stuff,but when it goes through it blows the wood apart. Not bad for the price either...:greenchainsaw:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_147592-302-1217000_0_?productId=3013823&Ntt=axe&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntk=i_products$No=15$Ntt=axe

Latest posts

Back