Best Splitting Axe - Opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you just want a splitting wedge for splitting wood then that is all a person really needs, I have a 6 lb and a 8 lb one like it made by truetemper, they are 35 years old or older and still splitting, the still will be when I am gone. The wood handles have been replaced a couple of times but they have not required sharpening, good enough tool steel to hold a good edge.
If you want a show off tool then spending heaps of money on a big name product that does the same job.
Pioneerguy600

With you on this one pioneerguy and your way of thinking
I agree fully some of the old stuff you just cant beat!
if you like getting taken when your at the store and you got cash to throw around
go ahead..
If i could i would use ancient viking axe if it worked well//

Infact i think it would be cool to use a AXE older than i...
Ha some old axe heads are worth 20X times a new fiskars
but shhhh!! ;)

SKOAL!@

Last edited:
2.3kg Helko vario doing well

Had the Helko for 3 years & am impressed with it,
Very effective, copes well with twisted knotty rounds & rarely ever sticks,
Would work even better if I could get through all the splitting while it's green though!:msp_rolleyes:

granfors bruks all the way. Spendy but worth every penny. I have the american felling ax and it is top of the line. The quality they produce is incredible..soon as I get some more money saved up I'm planning on getting the GB hunters axe. GB sure makes a proper tool.

Totally happy with my X25 and X27. Not having a healthy back anymore, can't really swing a heavy maul for extended periods. With the wood we have around here, the Fiskars get the job done quite nicely. My dad scoffed until he tried the X27. Now he has one as well as five of his buddies :)

Back