Best stihl saw for 12" to 14" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pappasteve

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking for a smaller stihl saw that I can use for trimming trees with. I'm looking for something that uses a 12" or 14" bar and is fairly light weight. Not only small but easy to work on as far as taking it apart.

I have a 066 but it is not exactly a trim saw, but it is easy to work on. My sister has a smaller stihl saw she might sell me but she can't remember what size it is but it is in a orange case. I remember seeing it once and it seems like it either said wood boss or farm boss on it.

Can you put a smaller bar on something like a 026 or 029?

I'm looking for a smaller stihl saw that I can use for trimming trees with. I'm looking for something that uses a 12" or 14" bar and is fairly light weight. Not only small but easy to work on as far as taking it apart.

I have a 066 but it is not exactly a trim saw, but it is easy to work on. My sister has a smaller stihl saw she might sell me but she can't remember what size it is but it is in a orange case. I remember seeing it once and it seems like it either said wood boss or farm boss on it.

The smallest you can put on a 026 or 029 is a 16"

Pappasteve you got a 66, I already like ya! Only saw that comes to mind Stihl, as above ms 200. Do it once do it right. Very handy, powerfull, and very capable little saw.

By ms200 you mean the little arborist saw. Like the MS192T or MS200T.

I've looked at those but they are a little more pricey than a regular small stihl.

I know a lot of people who run a 13" bar on a MS260/026, and a few who run them on a 346xp. Works well for limbing smaller stuff. And yes, I'm in Europe!

14 inch 025

My older Stihl 025 is being converted to use a 14" 050 gauge bar running 3/8 picco semi-chisel for disaster clearing + I still have a good 16" Stihl bar. My like new recent find of a MS260 will be using a Oregon Pro-Lite 16" bar with Stihl RMC yellow chain. A seasoned pulp wood industry saw shop dealer in Alabama emphasized smaller bars..

The smallest you can put on a 026 or 029 is a 16"

Hrm... dont think so. You can put a 14" on an 026 - they just didnt come stock like that.

As for your question, I actually really like my little 021 for this purpose. Its got a 12" pico (lo profile) bar and chain & actually zips through smaller stuff. I bought it at a yard sale a while back (i paid close to nothing - like $30 maybe) for the sole purpose of cutting 6 x 6 timber that I was using on a deck I was building at the time. I thought Id probably clean it up & sell after that job was done, but it turns out I dont mind it at all.

My dad has an ms 180 (similar in size and power) but I really dont like his non-adjustable carburetor.

Go with the new stihl ms 201, its not the T handle version..... has rear handle, super light and good power for small saw.

If you could still find a ms 200, that would be nice.

Have I got a deal for you!

View attachment 201658
attachment.php

View attachment 201659
attachment.php

Just kidding. It's my first Stihlavarnadolmerjohnnyred. (furrin made saw head)

Can someone tell me what pitch and guage that thing takes? Want to put a 10 or 12 on him.

The best one for those little bars is a MS200 rear handle, expensive though and maybe hard to find, they are out of production now. A 12inch bar on a MS200 rear handle is like using a butcher knife trimming, zip zip zip...

MS200/MS201 rear handle are great little saws if you are willing to spend that much cash for a little saw. For something that small (from Stihl), I like the MS211. It's light and nimble, inexpensive, and has an adjustable carb.

Latest posts

Back